PDA

View Full Version : Hanging meat in the bush

264mag
12-30-2015, 12:11 PM
I have booked a trip with Riverjet up the Tuchodi for 2016. Just wondering how others suspend their meat bags from the trees. Found a couple of ideas on YouTube, thought I would get some real life Intel. I know Kevin can do a pick up if he is going by but I am thinking about a rope and pulley system. Let's hear your ideas and see pics of possible.

thanks in advance everyone

monasheemountainman
12-30-2015, 12:22 PM
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/monasheemountainman/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxwk8vuzf.jpg (http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/monasheemountainman/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxwk8vuzf.jpg.html)

this is what we did up there, mostly because it was quick and we were bagged from hauling a moose out 3 miles haha quick a frame leaned it against a tree and strung up the game bags off it, no climbing. It was quite low tho easy pickings for animals but we knew Kevin was coming in a couple days

ryanb
12-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Suspending quarters high enough to be out of reach from animals is pretty hard. The bottom of the quarter would have to be at least 10 feet in the air meaning the top is probably 16ish feet up. Which means finding a tree you can climb 20 feet up to start rigging. It can be done but in practice it's pretty hard to climb most trees in that country. If you're lucky you might find an unoccupied old camp with a good, high, intact meat pole.

wideopenthrottle
12-30-2015, 12:27 PM
our group always brings a ladder to put the meat pole up nice and high...I don't mind climbing as long ass there are good climbing trees around but the tripod looks good for places with few climbable trees...yhe good thing about the step ladder is that you can put a bucket full of cans on top and rig some rope around tied to it to knock over the ladder if an animal knocks it or pulls on your game

Apolonius
12-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Too high for midget bears....very discriminating.lol....on the serious side,by the river hang them over water,a heavy duty garbage bag can help a bit it would cool it down very fast.Although nothing beats fresh air high on a tree.A clothes line wire between too trees will hold very nicely,hang anything from it.Or some guys use the screen house with good success.

orion
12-30-2015, 12:36 PM
The site Kevin dropped us off at had a steel cable strung 20 ft. up between two substantial trees. I thought he said that this was done at several sites.

Stresd
12-30-2015, 01:05 PM
I always take my climbing spurs with me. Just the spurs. Harness and lanyards stay home.

Cordillera
12-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Take the time to build a ladder about sixteen feet long. With a chainsaw and good nails it's about a half hour project. Then nail a meat pole at 14 feet. With two guys and a ladder you can hoist quarters up and get them pretty high.

.264winmag
12-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Bring a block/tackle?

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Good question . i havent had to do it alone myself, but i see the day when i will , a elk or something i will have to hang over night , and pack out in multiple trips . i was thinking about bring some good spikes and a little silver rock hammer i have, its a good hammer so i think it will work good . some paracord , my wyoming saw .. and some game bags . getting up high will still be the trick . i was thinking about bringing some of the tree screws i have seen , used for getting up to a tree stand .the green ones. they look light and might work good .

M.Dean
12-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Take the time to build a ladder about sixteen feet long. With a chainsaw and good nails it's about a half hour project. Then nail a meat pole at 14 feet. With two guys and a ladder you can hoist quarters up and get them pretty high. So far the best answer yet, I'd add a couple cheap rope pulleys and tie them to the top post, or even to the rope running between two trees. With the pulleys I'd put the rope through the roller before tying it to the pole or cross over rope, that way when you get back to camp at 2:30 in the morning all's you have to do is tie the quarters to your pulley system, and pull them up real high. I've bought cheap pulleys from Roni or Surplus Herby's for under 10 bucks, and it sure beats trying to pull up 120 pounds of bleeding meat as the rope dig's deeper and deeper into the tree branches! Heck, maybe 6 or 8 of us Olde Timers should tag a long on your trip, you know, just to give out pointers and keep the fire go'in! Shouldn't cost ya too much more, would it!!! We'll met ya at the boat launch!

bridger
12-30-2015, 07:39 PM
The site Kevin dropped us off at had a steel cable strung 20 ft. up between two substantial trees. I thought he said that this was done at several sites.

Yep park branch did that several years ago

bridger
12-30-2015, 07:43 PM
So far the best answer yet, I'd add a couple cheap rope pulleys and tie them to the top post, or even to the rope running between two trees. With the pulleys I'd put the rope through the roller before tying it to the pole or cross over rope, that way when you get back to camp at 2:30 in the morning all's you have to do is tie the quarters to your pulley system, and pull them up real high. I've bought cheap pulleys from Roni or Surplus Herby's for under 10 bucks, and it sure beats trying to pull up 120 pounds of bleeding meat as the rope dig's deeper and deeper into the tree branches! Heck, maybe 6 or 8 of us Olde Timers should tag a long on your trip, you know, just to give out pointers and keep the fire go'in! Shouldn't cost ya too much more, would it!!! We'll met ya at the boat launch!

building a ladder is a good suggestion. We have done that on our camp on the upper tuchodi. Put a meat pole up 14 ft and just used a rope to hoist the quarters up. Keeps the grizz away, but a black bear can get that high so you still have to keep an eye out

spear
12-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Sink the meat in waterproof bags in the creek/river. No smell, no spoilage

orion
12-31-2015, 12:51 PM
And you'll probably want to get something set up really quick so it can do double duty hanging your food supply as well.