PDA

View Full Version : Practice areas near Langley/surrey

Finetuning
12-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to shooting a bow and really want to get out and practice before I try any ranges or clubs. I bought a small target and have all the equipment I should need.

i did some searching in the forums and scanned through 50pages of threads looking for an answer to my question but I had no luck!

Basically I'm looking for a fairly secluded area with a backstop, where I can hike around and do some target practice out in the bush. Something within 30-45min drive from Langley centre would be preferred. However, I'm open to something a little further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Camo
12-31-2015, 05:49 PM
I have been shooting at a park in Clayton Heights there is a burn and I set my target block at the base of it. I have been shooting there for the past couple of days. However today my friend and I were shut down by the RCMP. I am shooting a compound Bow and he is shooting a crossbow. The officers said the complaint was regarding the crossbow as it appears to look like a firearm at a distance. I'll try again in a few days.

Foxtail
12-31-2015, 06:48 PM
It comes down to... Are you breaking any laws? People will report you if they "think" you are breaking laws. Iif you are shooting where no one can see you, you should be ok. Maybe try Stokes pit. Around 192 and 32nd... Find a gravel berm for a backstop with no houses behind. Or get a membership to Langley rod and gun or Semihamoo club. Both have indoor shoot nights and Semi has an outdoor range aswell.

Riverbc
01-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Abbotsford Fish and Game has an archery drop in on Wednesday nights. You should come out and have one of us watch you shoot, and help if necessary. It's a good group of peeps and can help you, before you start developing bad habits. January 16 and 17 will be the indoor 3D archery shoot, and I highly recommend you come out and shoot. Informal and lots of fun. All ages and levels of expertise come out for this shoot.

Finetuning
01-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys! I'll have to look into all those places.
Camo, which park, if you don't me asking, how were the cops when they came by?
Foxtail, that's kind of what time looking for, I know most areas it isn't an issue to shoot a bow, but I'd rather not be in that situation of explaining myself. I was hoping to go to Langley but my bow is a 45 and I saw online they only accept up to 35#. I'd like to give semi a shot.
Riverbc, I'll have to take a look at Abby, I didn't find much info online but that'd be a good option. I could certainly use some pointers.

Steeleco
01-02-2016, 11:10 AM
There's many a vacant field in the Willowby area. 204th and 84th area. Just dont use a field near one of the many construction sites and you should be good. Failing that there's not just a few pipeline right of ways in Brookswood too!

Finetuning
01-02-2016, 11:24 AM
There's many a vacant field in the Willowby area. 204th and 84th area. Just dont use a field near one of the many construction sites and you should be good. Failing that there's not just a few pipeline right of ways in Brookswood too!
I didn't even think of those areas. That's a great idea.
Where are the pipeline right of ways? I only know of ones on the other side of the bridge. Lol

itsy bitsy xj
01-02-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm up in north aldergove and just shoot in my field, I have targets set at 15m 25m 40m and 65m although the targets (large styrofoam blocks) aren't set up now because of the windstorms. next time I'm having people over to blast some arrows I could send yo a p/m

Finetuning
01-02-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm up in north aldergove and just shoot in my field, I have targets set at 15m 25m 40m and 65m although the targets (large styrofoam blocks) aren't set up now because of the windstorms. next time I'm having people over to blast some arrows I could send yo a p/m
That would be awesome. Thanks!

dracb
01-02-2016, 03:51 PM
FT
Langley discharge of firearms bylaw was modified to include long bows and cross bows with firearms. A point to consider before going to a park, walking area, gravel pit or other area where you might be observed.

Other municipalities in the lower mainland may or may not regulate the discharge of bows and/or crossbows. One has to check with the municipal clerk in each case to determine if it is legal. Even then expect to get a run around.

Riverbc
01-04-2016, 08:18 AM
ARCHERY EVENTS: (Abbotsford Fish and Game )

The Sagittarius Archers host three archery shoots annually, including BC’s Largest Indoor 3D Shoot, the Chad Davis Memorial 3D Shoot, and an indoor Christmas Shoot. For information about these events or any other questions related to archery, please see contacts listed below (Mark Porter or Steve Cotten).
DROP IN & YEARLY SHOOTING FEES.

Drop in fee
$5 per person
(Wednesday evenings)

Equipment rental
$5 per bow, includes 3 arrows
Indoor use only

Yearly Fee
$30 per person
Requires AFGC Membership*

$35 per family
Requires AFGC Membership*

*Does not include bow rental, your own equipment is required

Chairman: Mark Porter
Phone: 604-504-4484
Email: bowtechy@gmail.com (http://abbotsfordfishandgameclub.org/category/afgc-club-reports/sagittarius-archers/bowtechy@gmail.com)
Co-Chairman: Steve Cotten
Phone: 778-982-2233
Email: scotten@telus.net