PDA

View Full Version : Well that was,...... something

Lozzie
12-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Started a little late heading to Cow bay this morning. Heard some shots as I was heading into the field and noticed a couple guys heading out towards the birm so I decided I would give them space and hunt the back side of the field. There was a group at Dinsdales that seem to be doing alright and a group on the other side of the road that seemed to have a lot to shoot at (about 200 shots in 3 hours). I think the guys out in front of me were either inexperienced or just ignorant. I decent flock would start moving my way and instead of trying to call them in or let them be, these guys would start flock shooting. I know we all take shots that are out of range at times but I'm talking about shooting at flocks 120' in the air directly over head. All I could do is laugh and pour myself a coffee. Eventually the two young guys left and I can't say I saw any birds hanging off them. I decided I would pick up my robos and try another spot further out, I passed on butterballs, and teals that were tiny and I could have shot a limit of swans (if there were such a thing). Decided to call it quits after a guy decided it was a good idea to run his remote control airplane within 50 yards of where I was hunting, hell he almost hit and eagle at one point. Had a brief chat with him after hunting to see if he might find another place to operate his toy, he became little defensive and quickly realizing he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed I left him be.

In summary it was nice getting out of the house, but easily the worst day of hunting I've had all year. Not even sure if was better than a good day at work.lol

If anyone is heading out this week on the south Island and can use another shooter let me know.

Cheers,
Lozzie

ZacNap
12-29-2015, 06:37 PM
There is no limit on r/c planes or drones ......schwakem

wingmaster
12-29-2015, 07:16 PM
It's been a tough year in the cow valley, not one of my fields have held a bird two days in a row yet. If others are experiencing the same that could explain the bay being so busy

kyleklassen
12-30-2015, 10:36 AM
that plane guy has been down there pretty steady. saw him yesterday and the day before. pretty busy down there yesterday

wicket
12-30-2015, 04:01 PM
120' is only 40 yards.....did you mean feet or 120 yards? 40 yards is pretty reasonable really directly overhead. seems like an interesting day for sure. field hunting with multiply groups can be challenging and trying on patience.

longshot
12-31-2015, 09:07 AM
Man its absolutely brutal down in Cow Bay, I took my buddy out for his first time duck hunting down there a few weeks back and I wanted to show him how to do it right... well he got the message by learning how to call and decoy birds and get em close when we shot I think 18 or 19 shots and got 14 widgeons and mallards between the 2 of us... and the other guys on the other side of the road had taken atleast 150 shots at atleast 100 yards!!!!!!!! I know there is no law for how far you can shoot at a duck, but holy crap I really don't get some guys. The best part is I went in the field where they were shooting from a few days later just to take the dog for a walk and there were all the shells still sitting there and empty bags of walmart bird feed... had a good chuckle over that and picked up all their shells...

Honestly if guys keep treating Cow Bay the way they do, its just a matter of when, not if, the bay gets shut down. And for god sakes don't shoot from the paved terminal road, its right in the regs to be a minimum 25 meters (I believe) off of the road. ALSO, guys don't seem to understand how far a pellet can lob to hail on a dog walker and piss them off. Im a hunter and don't even appreciate it, me and my dad found that a 3" 1-1/8 #2 can lob 240 yards.. so try to be far enough from the road to not give the antis the fire power to say they've been shot at.

Longshot jr.

Apolonius
12-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Kind of hoping one day to get back to duck hunting.Lots of negative stories though.Is it the same everywhere?I don't really want to waste my time and money for nothing,plus go home pissed off.Plus don't know much of the available spots in LM.It seems to me we are helping the antis big time.If the birds are out of range why would you want to screw it up for someone else?It boggles my mind that some one will waste his shells like that.

Foxton Gundogs
12-31-2015, 10:13 AM
There is no limit on r/c planes or drones ......schwakem

Schedule C when interfering with a lawful hunt I believe lol

Lozzie
01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Forgot my measuring stick that day but what I should have said was "well out of effective range".

nor'wester
01-10-2016, 01:36 AM
There definitely seems to be a growing camp of guys who don't have a CLUE as to what the effective range of a shotgun is...the motto seems to be that if it's within sight it's within range...but hey, at least when they're hammering away at swans and/or cormorants those birds are safe cuz they're out of range!

SLEEZYT
01-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Just walked blackys dyke today and watched maybe 20-25 shots at birds Id say at least 60 yards flying over head and some 80 yard shots at passing birds in front of decoys. Each one flew off. Only one was shot and who would have thought it be the one that was 25 yards away? There was also a couple with a dog just walking around right off the dyke jump shooting birds. At one point they shot towards the dyke where you walk along the mill. I wouldn't expect more from someone wearing skate shoes/carrharts and a stanfields in the marsh. Throwing cigarette butts in the water. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess.