PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes around savona/tunkwa

Shikari300WSM
12-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Hey all, just wondering your guys' opinions on coyote hunting around Savona (off of Haywood farmer road for example) and in the tunkwa area. I just picked up the alpha dog caller by primos and am looking to deal with the post big game hunting blues until spring bear.

jamesvtr
12-29-2015, 01:02 PM
saw tons of coyote sign in tunkwa lake area when i was there and heard them at night.

JIL_24/7
12-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Lots there. Especially in the farmers' fields!

RackStar
12-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Tones in that area

ncurrie
12-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Lots of coyotes there. Shot a couple when branding with the Farmer's a couple of years ago. Might want to talk to Andy first before shooting on his ranch though.

BigfishCanada
12-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Cross the hwy and you may see a few wolves

Shikari300WSM
12-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Lots of coyotes there. Shot a couple when branding with the Farmer's a couple of years ago. Might want to talk to Andy first before shooting on his ranch though.

Who is Andy? Is his ranch in the Savona area or more towards tunkwa? What's the best way to get his contact info?

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't too sure if there would be many in Savona or not.

ncurrie
12-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Andy Farmer has the ranch on the right going up towards tunkwa

finngun
12-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Lots there. Especially in the farmers' fields!

jep but some farmers are friend of jotes,,, i asked

Shikari300WSM
12-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Andy Farmer has the ranch on the right going up towards tunkwa

Going towards tunkwa from savona or from Merrit?

Jelvis
12-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Indian Gardens ranch or something like that by Indian Garden Creek. Go up Tunkwa Lake road from Savano and drive a few K and turn right and go down that one.
Or the rancher on the main there as you drive up by Duran Creek on Tunkwa Lake road on the left gives a number out a phone you can call.
Can't hunt any ranch land he owns without permission but the land he rents from Crown he can't stop you after Oct because he takes his cows in from there then by rule.
Jelly -- These ranchers can talk English and have doors to knock on and if ask politely and have a conversation. That's how winnin is done.

ncurrie
12-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Going towards tunkwa from savona or from Merrit?
Go up tunkwa lake Rd from savona on the right is Andy farmers place, Indian gardens I believe and then his uncles and cousins own ranch on left hand side.

Shikari300WSM
01-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated.

Would you do a set up with Coyote calls or prey distress calls? Or even mix it up?

Jelvis
01-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Watch out you don't hit them crossing the road, off the ranchers fields to the hill.
Haha lots of yotees in here for sure. Mice, rabbits, and of course baby deer in June.
I would hunt early morns and late afternoons. A dying rabbit is what I would use for call myself. But watch your back and sides for any predator who sneaks up by mistake lol.
Jel -- You can also go through Pat Lake way just drive up Tunkwa road from Savano and turn left a k 1 or so. That road goes in to good area -- powerlines and a branch road --

lovemywinchester
01-01-2016, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't waste your time asking for permission from the ranches around there. I think they are pretty(extremely) fed up with hunters by this time of year. There are 1000s of acres of crown to hunt around there. The key to coyote hunting around there is to keep moving and try as many different sets in a day as you can. If you have a sled or quad you can hunt the gas lines or power lines pretty easily and these are major travel corridors for the preds. Lots of dogs as well as cats. Get a lynx or bob cat tag just in case.