PDA

View Full Version : Help your Canadian business

Apolonius
12-29-2015, 10:08 AM
With sadness i have to say i noticed,many of us support Cabelas and not Wholesale Sports or locally owned outdoor business.I was one of "us" too.Your Canadian store might be a little more pricey ,but there is a reason(some times less pricey).Some of the help in ,say in wholesale sports(some people complained here) might not be top notch.I always had good service there.So what!Patience and understanding are good qualities.If we loose this business to some American superstore ,Canada looses,we all loose.I say lets support local,times are tough already,we shouldn't be making it harder.And no, i am not working or have any interests in WS or any local outdoor business.Just a Christmas thought.

Keta1969
12-29-2015, 10:28 AM
I shop at any one of our 3 local sporting goods stores. I've known most of the staff for years,sometimes costs a little more but great service and if something screws up easy to deal with. Head out of town or on line when I can't get it here.

monasheemountainman
12-29-2015, 10:28 AM
I agree, not so much about wholesale, I have tried to like them, but they are getting worse, at least the ones I go to. but I agree fully, and will buy from independent retailers as often as I can. #bartonsbigcountry #grouse river #elwood epps #Nechako outdoors, # why the fcuk am I #'ing???!

Alienation
12-29-2015, 10:38 AM
I usually shot at WS, as I live right by them. Have shopped elsewhere at local retailers, and never had a problem with anyone, good shopping experiences all around. And when I can't find something local then yes, I'll get from cabelas or something, but only in dire situations.

Gateholio
12-29-2015, 10:52 AM
I tend to avoid places like WSS or Cabelas unless that's the only option. I spend more than the average person on guns and ammo and gear (About $40 000 in 2015) and almost all of it was with independent Canadian companies.

Better service, same or better prices, less hassle with shipping (almost all of my stuff is shipped)

markt308
12-29-2015, 11:23 AM
I always shop at Stillwater Sports In Ladner they are awesome for hunting and fishing. I go out of my way to support local and only go outside of that if they don't carry what I'm looking for

Sitkaspruce
12-29-2015, 11:43 AM
I have one store to shop locally (plus the usual CT and Wallworld). They carry a wide variety of good quality stuff and I usually buy the basics there, but they don't carry everything.

No sale sports suck for on-line shopping. Their web page sucks, most stuff "is not available online, see store for availability"....great if you are lucky to live close to a store (2.5 hours away for me, in another province). Plus they advertise a sale; 40% of camo clothing, yet when you go on to their web site, no sales, even when you go through the whole order process....make a call....oppps we are closed for the holidays. Bring back Russells Sporting goods....best on-line store we had....until NSS bought them.

Cabelas is good for online, they either have it or they don't, shipping is usually free if you order enough stuff and their prices are Ok, if you wait for sales.

Used to shop a lot at Nechako, but since I have a good local store, it buy from them more often.

I will support the locals, but at the end of the day, it is my $$$ and that is slowly getting trimmed little by little by all the extras we now get to pay for, so the locals better trim the pencils as well because if I can save a few $$$ at other places I will. It is a competitive market and you either live or die by the business decisions you make.....

Sadly though, big box stores are the way we all shop these days.

Cheers

SS

BgBlkDg
12-29-2015, 11:43 AM
I went to WS-Langley, ONCE and that was too much for me.

I buy at Reliable, Italian Sports, Nechako, Prophet River and some of the local component dealers in the Fraser Valley.

Dealt with Reliable since early 1968 and I suspect I have spent a few more $$$$ on this than even the legendary GH.

Support LOCAL businesses!!!!!

Apolonius
12-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Reliable is one of the best run business around.I dealt with them and more than happy with their service.Wholesale sports it is more of a convenience for me,but at the same time never had a bad experience there....but i walk in with a smile.Never went there expecting the worst.International shooting supplies(Surrey) were very good for me in all my dealings too.Cabelas is not bad ,is not Canadian.Always hear complains from people,about this or that store.Many times,bad expectations or attitude gets you that.Bottom line is nobody can beat local.And the way our economy is heading,all we can do is support each other.

adriaticum
12-29-2015, 12:49 PM
I bought tons of shit from WSS and I never bought anything from Cabelas.

russm
12-29-2015, 01:00 PM
If im buying a gun ill usually go to wss to ser what thier price is like and then i go to international where they always beat their price and dont rush or make me feel like an idiot. They did howeve have a good sale on thier brownings before xmas so i bought from wss. Wss kinf of left a bad taste in my mouth after they dropped my brand new 17 hmr out of the case and on to the floor and told me it was no big deal.

Weatherby Fan
12-29-2015, 01:18 PM
I used to buy from Nechako but I've been abused and traumatized by one of their Weatherby insulting/hating salesmen, so now sadly I'm forced to go elsewhere to do my shopping :wink:

notyalc
12-29-2015, 01:29 PM
I've given WSS more then one chance. The customer service sucks and that's that. I have no problem paying more to receive better service. I've stood at the gun counter on numerous times waiting while the employees just stood there ignoring me. I've ordered two guns through them, and in one case after weeks of waiting I finally called to ask and they had no record of it. The other case, I ordered a rifle probably around 2 years ago, and I'm still waiting on them to call me and let me know it arrived.....I ended up buying if from a local store after waiting a week past the original arrival date they promised. Thankfully they never asked for a deposit on them. Theres been a few other incidents with them but I'll leave those for another WSS thread.

I can't wait to see what will happend to them once Bass pro and Cabelas open up shop.

elknut
12-29-2015, 01:39 PM
$ 40000 per year ???? A lot of people don't make $ 40000 a year LOL....I see you don't have a cash flow problem..Local is good if you don't get gouged by exceptionaly high prices..Service does seem to suck sometimes at Wholesale Sports but only in the gun dept as I've noticed ..With our Canadian dollar in the toilet a normal person has to be cash conscious as an awful lot of gear is imported...Always like to support local but will always be very vigilant ..Dennis

375shooter
12-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I used to buy from Nechako but I've been abused and traumatized by one of their Weatherby insulting/hating salesmen, so now sadly I'm forced to go elsewhere to do my shopping :wink:

Ha ha. Good one. Nechako looks like a good place to shop. I wish you could buy right off their website.

For me, it often comes down to who has what I want to buy in stock, or if they even sell it at all. Specialty reloading tool and certain rifles are good examples. Grouse River has the best selection but it's never in stock.:sad: Wholesale Sports used to be great for the handloader, but not anymore. I shop locally at Corlanes and Backcountry but also order to Cabelas if I can't get it at the previously mentioned options.

BgBlkDg
12-29-2015, 02:01 PM

This sounds like a case for the BC Human Rights Tribunal, extensive psychotherapy and compensation so you can have closure......funny, tho', he never hassles ME.

Maybe, you are "channeling" too much "Bee,,,SSS"????? ;)

Weatherby Fan
12-29-2015, 02:04 PM
This sounds like a case for the BC Human Rights Tribunal, extensive psychotherapy and compensation so you can have closure......funny, tho', he never hassles ME.

Maybe, you are "channeling" too much "Bee,,,SSS"????? ;)

HBC offered me free councilling from Dr Gatehouse..... Need I say more !

He kept saying just drink this Koolaid and you will start shooting a 375 Ruger and happily shopping at Nechako Sports again !

panhead
12-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Be interesting to see what happens to the mix when the new monstrosity in Tsawwassen opens. Drive by it every day and wonder how it's going to survive out here. The whole mall for that matter. Was in the one in Alta and was not really impressed. Nice to look at once. And if they ever build the new crossing and toll it, who's gonna pay to shop out here?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logic never sways emotion

Gateholio
12-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Ha Ha Ha.....WBY Fan was more traumatized by the counselling than anything ! :)

Bugle M In
12-29-2015, 03:51 PM
I've always supported Reliable, Italian.
I used to support Stillwaters, but found the previous original owner to be very pricey, so I stopped going there.
Also used to support Hunters when they were in Vancouver.
Even supported a few up in Vernon.
I won't go to Wholesale Sports anymore, due, mostly to the fact they carry little inventory, or worse, rarely bring it in.
Was also disappointed with Cabelas when up in Edmonton....same thing, wasn't carrying what I was going to purchase.
I'll see what Bass Pro has when they open up here....mostly due to trying on Clothing for fit and finish etc.
Biggest disappointment with WSS, was there prices are not very cheap...even for a big chain, which is the biggest
reason I would shop there.
If they want to stay in business, they will have to slash prices better, and have more of the stuff they advertise in stock.!

Apolonius
12-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Cabelas has more buying power than many other stores due to volume they buy.They do provide good service but also many other local stores.In a store like WS you have quiet a turnover of stuff.Remember they don't pay union wages.As for stock,just remember the last little while is being hard to get anything in ammo and reloading.Most if not all the stuff is being manufactured in the USA and Cabelas comes first for them.Conflict of interest????You can bet your Canadian Pessos.The Canadian dollar is way down and our buying power is diminished.As it is the case with WS or the mom and pop store.Profit margins are very small.Two weeks ago i went to WS buying a scope,they matched the Cabelas price on the spot.I could touch and see what i was buying.Now is not that great service?International Shooting supplies done the same for me many times,always with a smile.I am not gatehouse but i spent well above average.Now i try to keep my money here.And many times is good to let management know if you got bad service.The only way they can fix it.If the owners do nothing let them know ,you are taking your business elsewhere.

Apolonius
12-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Because i am looking for one!!!!
Garmin Montana Model:600=599.99 at Cabelas.....529.99 at WS
Montana 650 =679.99 Cabelas 589.99 at WS
Not too bad of a deal if you look around.
Things are not always what people perceive them to be.If not available ....backorder it at the same price.

LupieHunter
12-29-2015, 06:14 PM
When it comes to hunting clothes, I only shop at the bigger name stores such as Canadian Tire or Cabelas. Why? Because with me being an oddity in the hunting world (female), women's hunting clothes are very hard to find in the small mom and pop shops wheras the bigger stores have a decent selection. With that being said though, I avoid WSS due to their lack of customer service and rude employees. If the local mom and pop shops started carrying women's camo (which would be an excellent idea as women hunter are the largest growing hunting demographic) I'd gladly start shopping there.

savagecanuck
12-29-2015, 07:36 PM
I used to shop at GR but they rarely have anything on sale and they have the highest prices. I usually shop at the west Kelowna wholesale sports. They always have something on clearance. Was hard to beat the deal on the blaze weatherby vanguard series 2 for $400. There camo clothing was on sale during Nov hunting season with an extra discount on a weekend sale. I'm lucky I've spent time at the range with Bill behind the gun counter and he always looks after me right away. I also shop at Antler Creek in west Kelowna. On line usually Prophet river, P& D,reliable,Prarie gun traders.

Apolonius
12-29-2015, 07:37 PM
It is very hard for a small store to carry much clothing as there will be not much profit left for them.And you do need a large stock of sizes and styles.WS i see is trying to carry quiet a bit.Don't shop the ladies clothing....not a crossdresser hillbilly.lol

greasysidedown
12-29-2015, 08:13 PM
The wife and myself own a small gift shop in Ladner, Muddy River Landing, that she operates.

We support Stillwater as much as possible. Hard to say what's going to happen when Pro Bass opens up next year.

As small business owners ourselves, it will be a shame to see the new owner of Stillwater fail. I'll do everything I can to help.

That being said, while I don't think I'll every be in a position to spend what Gatehouse spends, the last new rifle of mine came from Reliable. I have rarely seen that kind of service before or since.

recoil
12-29-2015, 08:56 PM
I live 5 min from Langley WSS and have also given up shopping there, they never have any flier items in stock, refuse to give rainchecks unless you argue with the ignorant staff. All loaded ammo is kept behind the understaffed gun counter, where you get the privilege of waiting 20 mins to find out they have no 30-06 of any kind in stock. That being said I have noticed better service at other branches like Nanaimo and Kamloops.

Sleep Robber
12-29-2015, 09:08 PM
I admit to visiting ALL of them, and as far as buying stuff, I buy it whenever and wherever I feel like it if I see the need/want for it, and I usually want a lot, lollol.

Glenny
12-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Well whoever has the best deals i guess. Very little of the goods are made here anyway soooooooooooo pick a made in China vendor..any vendor. I do like the local knowledge of the guys at Steveston HW the older fellers at Stillwater.

TrickleCharger
12-29-2015, 11:12 PM
The service at WSS in Kamloops has been very good, pleasantly surprising to me as the service I am used to at WSS in Grande Prairie was the shits. I went into Kamloops' local gun store once and found them quite unhelpful, rude even (granted it was only the one visit). I will pay a little more for a local store but it's not a charity, there's a limit to how much more and expect good service. Fortunately it sounds like Gatehouse and BigBlkDog are giving the local stores enough business for the rest of us to just shop online for the best deals :)

REMINGTON JIM
12-30-2015, 12:40 AM

Yea Clay has being HAPPY to take all your Money ! :wink: RJ

Deaddog
12-30-2015, 07:04 AM
I support the local stores as much as I can. Nechako has been a HUGE supporter of the local clubs, currently they are supporting Spruce City Wildlife by not only selling raffle tickets for us , but fully donating a rifle to our raffle. This is not the first time Mark has stood up to support our local clubs with merchandise and overall support. Whole Sale Sports in PG has also been a huge support and annually donates between 4000-5000 to our local clubs annual fundraiser. Not hard at all to be loyal to either of these two businesses. Provincially WSS gives tens of thousand to our clubs throughout our province. Sadly the other outdoor box store in the province has not delivered any where near the capacity it could. My money goes to Nechako and WSS!

finaddict
12-30-2015, 09:19 AM
was at both Cabelas and WSS this week in Nanaimo. WSS had terrific discounts of 40% on boots, and up to 50% on clothing. Cabelas had almost nothing on sale and was more expensive to begin with. It certainly was not whet I expected. I will likely pay more attention to WSS when I am on the Island.

dracb
12-30-2015, 11:52 AM
The problem with Wholesale Sports in Langley is the gun department. Commonly their inventory is incomplete in critical areas. As for example a while back I went in to buy a bullet mold. They had a couple of different brands of lead melters , sizers and etc. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT not one bullet mold in the store. Another time I went in to buy some shotgun cleaning brushes and a new one piece cleaning rod. Several one piece rods on the rack and no shortage of brushes but absolutely no adapters to allow one to use the brushes with the rods that were available. They had a Ruger No.1 in 450/400 3inch on the wall. I dearly wanted to buy it but they did not have ammunition for it and they were not going to get any. This has happened enough times that I drive past them to go to one of the smaller gun shops when I really have to have a particular item rather than wasting time being told they do not have all of the bits and pieces to accomplish what I want.

BRvalley
12-30-2015, 01:17 PM
every single store provides both good and bad service, I'm not store loyal at all (brand loyal with a few things though)....which ever store has what I want in stock for a decent price, they get my money

also the stores that stay open late on Fridays, they tend to get more of my money because staying open late is very convenient for me

okas
12-30-2015, 01:22 PM
HA HA lot of ? here ..our government does not even shop local this place is way to late as far as true blue . Get your stuff use it as time is running out as freedom in Canada

BRvalley
12-30-2015, 01:22 PM
I tend to avoid places like WSS or Cabelas unless that's the only option. I spend more than the average person on guns and ammo and gear (About $40 000 in 2015) and almost all of it was with independent Canadian companies.

Better service, same or better prices, less hassle with shipping (almost all of my stuff is shipped)

how much do you spend at that little shop in Pemberton? no clue how they stay in business lol

12-30-2015, 01:25 PM
I always try and order from small family businesses first.

Gateholio
12-30-2015, 02:30 PM
how much do you spend at that little shop in Pemberton? no clue how they stay in business lol

I buy what I can there. Some 22 and shotgun ammo. But I buy cases of centre fire ammo and there are other places that can offer great prices.

Most of that figure represents ammo that is already used up by guests at the shooting range. No way I can afford $40K a year on personal guns and optics! :)

375shooter
12-30-2015, 02:37 PM
I much prefer to shop Canadian, for sure. What I hate though is when I shop on-line and the store has a "Free Shipping" banner, then when I go through the checkout, I'm getting charged for shipping on "free Shipping" eligible products. When this happens, I check out other sources right away.

BRvalley
12-30-2015, 04:39 PM
I buy what I can there. Some 22 and shotgun ammo. But I buy cases of centre fire ammo and there are other places that can offer great prices.

Most of that figure represents ammo that is already used up by guests at the shooting range. No way I can afford $40K a year on personal guns and optics! :)

I was only joking, but for a second there that 40k almost explained how that store stays in business ha

backyardhunter3006
12-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I have had fantastic service at the wholesale sports in west Kelowna personally and are always asked if I'm finding everything I need.

okas
12-30-2015, 07:00 PM
WOW;:x i was a bit worried over that 40k maybe that camper minnie van is still for sale on Pemperton Craigslist