PDA

View Full Version : Wood for smoking?

walnutz
12-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Just got a nice side fire box style smoker/grill and wondering where is a good place to get the wood for it from? Mostly looking for oak,maple,mesquite. This is the first one I have had that doesn't use the bradley style pucks so any input would be great. Cheers

M.Dean
12-28-2015, 09:55 PM
I've got a big "Texas Style" smoker grill setup, with the fire box on the side, which can be used with propane and wood fires. When I start the fire to either bar ba que or smoke I use birch wood,which has dried at least 2 years, I get the ash's built up with that, then about a hour or so before were going to cook or smoke, I use apple or cherry wood. And I get it from where ever I can find it, cheap, like free! When I'm in town I keep looking for fruit tree's in peoples yards, and if I get lucky I see a pile of branches laying around from pruning them. No I don't go and steal them, I go and ask if they would like them removed, and most folks say yes! Now, lots of people know I have this great big smoker, cooker, and they watch for wood for me, and I pay for it in Jerky or Smoked Salmon, it's called "Bartering"!!! And be careful not to over smoke stuff, it easy to do when your using a campfire of sorts to smoke with, it takes a bit to get used to the amount of wood to use, but boy is fun learn'in! Have Fun!

BiG Boar
12-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Look in the woods for maple or alder. Orchards prune each year so many have apple or other fruit wood. Keep your eyes open

lip_ripper00
12-28-2015, 11:24 PM
Murrysville as in Langley? Call any of the local tree removal companies and let them know you want chips, lots of alters. When they get in to a bunch of alders ask for a bag. You will have to dry them, but a couple of days in the garage with a fan turning every couple of hours and your in

338Schulz
12-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Never use oak it contains blue acid,just sprinkle a bit of water on it let it dry and
you will see what I mean

OOBuck
12-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Stuffers sausage supplies in Langley sell chips