PDA

View Full Version : Hi Mountain jerky

Jager
12-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Hi folk
I got some seasoning mix for Christmas and am looking forward to making a few batches. My question is according to the instructions I'm supposed to use double the cure for ground meat vs whole muscle meat. Would this be a surface area thing (more area on ground)to up the cure/safety against botulism?
My concern is will it be too salty? Can I reduce the amount of cure on the ground meat to make a 20# batch vs a 10# batch?
thanks for your input and a belated merry Christmas to all

RambleOn
12-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Careful. Just ruined a bunch of meat by following the directions to a tee. The cure is crazy salty. Do a small batch to try.

Getbent
12-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Be very careful use the suggested amount of cure, it is there for a reason....

OOBuck
12-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi folk
I got some seasoning mix for Christmas and am looking forward to making a few batches. My question is according to the instructions I'm supposed to use double the cure for ground meat vs whole muscle meat. Would this be a surface area thing (more area on ground)to up the cure/safety against botulism?
My concern is will it be too salty? Can I reduce the amount of cure on the ground meat to make a 20# batch vs a 10# batch?
thanks for your input and a belated merry Christmas to all

Been a big fan of the Hi Mountain stuff up until I tried the jerky kits this year. Didn't find a salty problem, found the flavor was weak and not what I have come to expect from their kits. My
goto kits are the Nestco jerky kits never had a bad one yet.

Mikey Rafiki
12-29-2015, 10:26 AM
The instructions call for the same amount of cure either way.

https://www.himtnjerky.com/instructions/Instr_Jerky.pdf

The only difference is the ground can be jerked right away since the cure is mixed in to contact all the meat, whereas the whole meat needs time for the cure to penetrate before smoking/dehydrating.

My preference is to use half Cracked Pepper and Garlic and half Mandarin Teriyaki, plus I typically add some extra garlic powder and pepper to taste.

Jim Prawn
12-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Have done several batches of the Hi Mountain Cracked pepper and garlic and love it. Have always used whole meat and follow the directions exactly. Did one batch with ground meat and didn't like it at all. Have a friend who swears by the Nesco stuff too. I think he buys it at London Drugs.
JP

OOBuck
12-29-2015, 12:00 PM
Have done several batches of the Hi Mountain Cracked pepper and garlic and love it. Have always used whole meat and follow the directions exactly. Did one batch with ground meat and didn't like it at all. Have a friend who swears by the Nesco stuff too. I think he buys it at London Drugs.
JP

Mine was ground and tasted ok but not great like most of their kits.. Yup London Drugs carry the Nesco stuff..

I guess its time to take out a roast and try the new jerk slicer..

kenadiens
12-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Be very careful use the suggested amount of cure, it is there for a reason....
x2 very important not use too much as well. Can be dangerous. Always best to follow the instructions with the cure.