PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunting???

JeffR
05-16-2007, 07:55 PM
So I was thinkng about heading up past Merritt towards Kamloops this weekend and taking the .22 along. I see that showshoe hares are closed, but according to the regs you can hunt eastern cottontails or european rabbits year round. So how do you tell the difference and primarily what type is in that area?

Any idea?

Will
05-16-2007, 08:51 PM
...but according to the regs you can hunt eastern cottontails or european rabbits year round. So how do you tell the difference and primarily what type is in that area?

Any idea?
I't a bit West to find Eastern Cottons around here..........;-)

By Euro's I think they are referring to "domestic" Bunnies that have escaped or been turn loose from loving owners.

Eitherway the regs allow these to be taken as a "Non Native"" species.....meaning they are Fair Game year round and treated as Pests basically.

I was told awhile ago that there are some Cottontails around the mainland.....but I don't have any info as to that.
I can say I've never seen any while out and about around Kamloops....all Snowshoe hares here.

There were some pockets of Wild domestics living near town sometime ago ("Tranquille" area) but I've not seen any in a few years.......lottsa Fat Yotes hanging around there though :lol:

Best of Luck8-)

Derp
05-16-2007, 09:26 PM
any rabbits in the lowermainland? you would probably need a special area licence along with the permission of farmers

BlacktailStalker
05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
4 of us were rampaging the bush with ruger 10/22's today doing just that! Only one rabbit though and it was a snap shot and I couldnt find it. There was lots of buny fluff though.

ruger#1
05-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Will my man the eastern cotton tail was introduced in the state of Washinton in the 1920s. it has long since crossed the international boundry and has become establised on the lower mainland of British Columbia. The book i got this out of was copied in 1972 ,Wildlife of British Columbia.

Will
05-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Will my man the eastern cotton tail was introduced in the state of Washinton in the 1920s. it has long since crossed the international boundry and has become establised on the lower mainland of British Columbia. The book i got this out of was copied in 1972 ,Wildlife of British Columbia.
Yes "my man" I believe I said you could find them on the mainland.........:|
:roll:

ruger#1
05-16-2007, 10:20 PM
We have the eastern cotton tail,Mountain cottontail,Europeon rabbit,Snowshoe hair, and White-tailed jack rabbits in B.C.

Will
05-17-2007, 03:34 PM
We have the eastern cotton tail,Mountain cottontail,Europeon rabbit,Snowshoe hair, and White-tailed jack rabbits in B.C.
Perhaps Yes, but on Private land they are all Wascally Wabbits................= Boom! :twisted:
However the Poster was looking for Rabbits to hunt right now around Merrit & Kamloops in particular........not ALL of BC ;-)

and primarily what type is in that area?
I was just being straight with him that the likelyhood of finding a "legal species" that's open in the areas he asked about isn't good......:)

Derp
05-17-2007, 04:28 PM
What kind of choke would you use for wabbits? definatley not full rite?

I was working in richmond last summer on lulu island and the place was INFESTED!! with rabbits. I'd watch bald eagles and hawks swoop down at the things. It was fun to watch

Will
05-17-2007, 06:42 PM
What kind of choke would you use for wabbits? definatley not full rite?
Well not close up anyways....:lol:
I've used a Full choke on them lots.......aim for the head......less to take off later8-)

JeffR
05-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info.