PDA

View Full Version : Question about a wounded deer

huntingpartner
12-21-2015, 08:17 AM
My soon arrowed a doe yesterday around 3pm. He tracked the blood trail and bumped her out of bed 5 times until dark. He's going back up this morning. Can he arrow her again if needed. but hunting season is now closed.
Going to go the CO's office this morning to have a chat. Any thoughts?
Cheers

bang flop
12-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Call your CO. They will want your story and may give you a letter to retrieve your animal. You may have to go visit the CO after recovery to show him the animal.
Most CO's don't like to let game suffer.

Good luck

huntingpartner
12-21-2015, 02:09 PM
CO said you can look and retrieve the deer....hunting is over though
said don't even carry the bow...

rocksteady
12-21-2015, 02:34 PM
It is legal to hunt coyotes with a bow...so pack it all you want...

steveo
12-21-2015, 03:01 PM
I agree other species are open but I would not want to be dragging an arrowed animal out of the bush with archery equipment in my hand and it is not legal for me to be hunting any more for that species. If you are relying on the fact the animal has expired and it isn't legal for you to finish the animal than carry a firearm if you are worried about conflict with predators and your deer.

rocksteady
12-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Just saying he has no grounds for a charge....

Just cause you are packing a bow does not mean you are hunting out of season.... Just sayin...

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Contrary to some of the "advice" above, I'd say do what the CO has suggested and go retrieve the deer. He's bending the rules slightly to let you hunt ("searching for" is hunting under the act) the day after, so don't rock that boat, IMO.

If she bedded 5 times between 3 pm and dark, she's 99% likely to be stone dead by now.

steveo
12-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Contrary to some of the "advice" above, I'd say do what the CO has suggested and go retrieve the deer. He's bending the rules slightly to let you hunt ("searching for" is hunting under the act) the day after, so don't rock that boat, IMO.

If she bedded 5 times between 3 pm and dark, she's 99% likely to be stone dead by now.
I agree, it sounds like it should be dead.

rocksteady
12-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Just cause you are packing a bow in the forest, does not mean you are hunting deer, or elk, or moose....

rocksteady
12-21-2015, 05:53 PM
SSS... may not be 100% legal, but 120% moral and ethical. .

M.Dean
12-21-2015, 06:12 PM
If possible let us know how your Son makes out finding this doe. And I'd have to agree with carrying a bow or a firearm when your looking for this animal, if it's bleeding, every dam thing out there that eats meat will be trying to find her too! Good Luck, hope you guys find it!

Xenomorph
12-21-2015, 06:37 PM

+1 on this one. Pack a defender with you or a rifle. Leave the bow at home. No point poking the bear and ruining your relationship with the CO.

Should be dead by now, sounds like you son should have taken a break a little. After bumping her once especially, let her expire etc.

Anyway, hope he finds it.

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 06:44 PM
take something along for defence at least.
could easily be a cougar on/near the kill.

Drillbit
12-22-2015, 03:46 AM
take something along for defence at least.
could easily be a cougar on/near the kill.

absolutley

butthead
12-22-2015, 06:56 AM
do let us know how this turns out

huntingpartner
12-22-2015, 09:20 AM
He went back out the next morning, and found the deer 100 yrds from where he stopped looking.
Brought our Mexican lab/pit dog with him, and she was able to follow the small drops to the deer.
Went from despair the day before to a huge s*** eating grin. Was his first successful solo bow hunt, he's 18.
Deer is hanging in our garage for a few days before processing.
A fantastic year for our family, he also harvested a mulie during rifle season and helped out with a leh moose draw in 8-11
He chose not to carry the bow.
Thanks for your thought lads
Cheers

Fisher-Dude
12-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Good news! Congrats to the young hunter!

And save a burger for the pooch. ;)

Mikey Rafiki
12-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Glad to hear things worked out!

Philcott
12-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Perseverance pays off

M.Dean
12-22-2015, 09:28 AM
He went back out the next morning, and found the deer 100 yrds from where he stopped looking.
Brought our Mexican lab/pit dog with him, and she was able to follow the small drops to the deer.
Went from despair the day before to a huge s*** eating grin. Was his first successful solo bow hunt, he's 18.
Deer is hanging in our garage for a few days before processing.
A fantastic year for our family, he also harvested a mulie during rifle season and helped out with a leh moose draw in 8-11
He chose not to carry the bow.
Thanks for your thought lads
Cheers High Fiver's for your Son!!! Now that's a happy ending we all like to hear about! Congrats on your first Bow Kill! Hey, maybe you'll get a dozen or so real good arrows for Christmas now!!!

wideopenthrottle
12-22-2015, 09:45 AM
glad to hear it all worked out...yeahhhh

Xenomorph
12-22-2015, 11:02 AM
High Fiver's for your Son!!! Now that's a happy ending we all like to hear about! Congrats on your first Bow Kill! Hey, maybe you'll get a dozen or so real good arrows for Christmas now!!!

HAHAHA, took words out of my mouth. Kid deserves a nice archery package for Christmas :)

Sofa King
12-22-2015, 11:06 AM
awesome outcome.
big congrats!
and thanks for the end of season hunting story.

sawmill
12-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Glad he found it,same thing happened to me 2 years ago. Nailed a big whitey buck near last light and lost him.I spent a sleepless night,went out at first light and it had snowed 6 inches.I looked for 3 hours and finally saw an antler sticking out of the snow.WHEW!!! What a thrill and relief.!

Shooter
12-22-2015, 07:24 PM
Good job getting the deer. Hopefully things were learned. I don't mean that in any derogatory form either. If you have bumped a deer 5 times out of a bed it is hurt good, back out and let it die. But doing things is how you learn. Congrats again to your son.

Cpl_Punishment
12-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Nice work. Nothing worse than the feeling that you have have lost one.

hunter1947
12-23-2015, 06:23 AM
If me talk to a co to get it straight do what he says if the CO said no you can't arrow the wounded deer after the season has closed then head over where your son arrowed this deer without the bow pick up the tracks and follow the deer tracks you might find the deer dead if not at lest you tried..

My thoughts are is that the CO might give you permission...............(NOTE)..................m ake sure you pack a couple rifle with you even if you are allowed to arrow the wounded deer you don't know there might be a grizzly or other on your deer,,grizzlies come out of there dean now and then for brief time during winter months then go back into their den some grizzlies might still not be hibernating ??? whatever you do don't shoot the deer with a rifle only the bow if you have the ok from the CO.....

Chango
12-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Photos! :-)