PDA

View Full Version : Swing and a miss.......

Rich_D
12-20-2015, 07:26 PM
I was itching to get out to try and call some Coyotes this weekend. The grand plan was to rise early on Saturday and head out. Staff party on Friday left my head in such a state Saturday morning that getting out of bed to go out was not an option. I was babysitting the grandson from 1:30 until 6:00 so that the kids could go to Star Wars so Saturday evening was out.

I forget to set my alarm Saturday night so this morning was a wash, went over to visit the grandkid around lunch and decided that when I get home I'll pack up my stuff and head out.

Leave the the house about 2:00, gas up and I am on my way. I get to my spot about 2:45, get my gear together and hike over the hill to set up. Drop my Foxpro in the open and head up the hill across the gulley and sit under a nice big fir.

25 minutes of calling and I figure I will glass around one more time before heading to a different spot. 200yds out up the other side of the clearing, Coyote sitting up the hill. Rifle up, mute the caller but leave the decoy running. Dog starts barrelling down the hill toward the caller. 120yds "WOOF" and he stops for a second, I spaz out on the trigger pull as if it was my first time ever shooting a gun, safety was still on.....thank god. He starts bee lining for the caller again so I give him another "WOOF" but he won't stop, I let out a few more and he finally stops at about 80yds (this time with the safety off). There he is at 80yds, a perfect front on shot to minimize fur damage, I line up on his chest and again I yank the trigger like a teenage boy getting into his first pair of panties.

Shot goes off, dog runs away. Shot right over his head. Tried a running shot on him but I had cranked the scope to max when he was coming in first time so I had a hard time finding him.

Super exciting evening, just wish I could have connected. Maybe next time I won't feel so rushed.

Husky7mm
12-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Jeezz Rich_D.... Keep it to get her, first pair of panties..... Love it, happy hunting!

swampthing
12-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Coyote fever will get ya every time!!

604redneck
12-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Good on ya for getting out there! Hoping to get out with another member a few times this winter

Rich_D
12-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Coyote fever will get ya every time!!
Damn near as bad as Buck Fever.

Canadian Dad
12-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Good on ya. Now you know you are doing something right.
Unlike me. Tons of dog tracks, but nothing comes to howls, squeaks or rabbit calls.
Next time is the charm!

VanIsleCam
12-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Love getting out even if I don't bag anything - better luck next time!

scotty30-06
12-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Happens to all of us brotha lol

.308SLAYER
12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Yah cant get em everytime