PDA

View Full Version : Calling on Members in the Okanangan/kelowna area

Polonez
05-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Hey guys
I was wondering if someone can direct me to a good spot to camp this may long weekend in the Kelowna area. I dont want pay camping, I want it to be more of a "wild" camping where it could be more private but on a lake. If anyone can recommend something it would be great!

Bigbuckadams
05-16-2007, 05:11 AM
May long weekend + almost anywhere in the valley = GONG SHOW :mad: .
Hate to put it that way, just way too many people in the bush so finding a "Private" spot anywhere is unlikely, unless of course you get way off the beaten path. Sorry for the pessimism, but most of the campsites will be full by Thursday night.

hunter1947
05-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Just get back into the back roads and drive till you find what your looking for ,thats what i would do http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

05-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Want to walk in, or drive right to the waters edge? There are a lot of lakes between Vernon and Kelowna, some having easy access (aka will be busy) and others that are a little off the beaten track which have way less traffic. You have a back roads atlas for the area?

The Hermit
05-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Also its the knox mountain hill climb this weekend... = ten thousand car fans converge there!

happygilmore
05-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I've found just about every lake that you can drive to the gov't has put a table and a sh**er and classified it as a gov't campsite so your supposed to pay. I'm sure the wardens will be out in force on the weekend, It's a crime when you cannot go out to your favorite lake and camp without being charged I live here, last time I checked part of my taxes went to parks.

one-shot-wonder
05-16-2007, 09:41 AM
What has been said is true, the May long weekend is the unofficial start of summer and therefore a flood of camping/outdoor activity takes place.

The boys are making it sound like you will not get a camping spot, not true. You might not find a lake to enjoy all to yourself but if you are willing to get out of the close proximity/easy accessable lakes then there should be vacant spots to be found.

Up Hwy. 97C between Kelowna and Merritt there are many lakes that are easy to find. Pick up a backwoods map book and choose an area with more than one lake because you won't be alone.:shock:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Yep. Busiest weekend of the year in the bush:-( . Trying to head grizz hunting Fri after work but decided to wait until the early morning hours of Sat to avoid the Zoo of the bridge! Don't need that stress.

Best of luck finding camp spot in the bush. You'll need it!:sad:

SSS

one-shot-wonder
05-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Yep. Busiest weekend of the year in the bush:-( . Trying to head grizz hunting Fri after work but decided to wait until the early morning hours of Sat to avoid the Zoo of the bridge! Don't need that stress.
SSS

Heading grizz hunting Friday after work as well, I mean ooops saturday we'll be hunting all ready! Why don't you take Westside road You have to go to Vernon anyways?

It's about time you sell and buy on the good side of the lake! Hell you know what kind of commute I have and some days I beat my co workers that live on the westside home from work :lol:

Good luck guys and make sure you pack the mountian bikes and snow shoes!
Hopefully we'll trade pics after the weekend.

dave_fras
05-16-2007, 10:48 AM
why dont u try some of the lakes around falkland!.... and theres a few bears around too!...

bighornbob
05-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Anything within 45 minutes of Kelowna will be a zoo. I would personally head up on the connecter and go to one of the lakes up there.

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2007, 11:05 AM
OSW-Calvin might be a little tired when he finally gets to our camp spot after walking all the way there. I think it's a lttle too late to get him to move over here:lol: !

No mtn bikes for us. Got the TW8) and snowshoes.
After watching GG hobble around the other day, you can keep your mtn bikes!
Vroooooom! ....Vroooooom!!

Good luck!!
We're gone for 9 days. Catch up later!

SSS

Polonez
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
thanks for the help guys. I do have a backroads map and I have beeen looking at it. I found a decent sized lake called Ideal lake that seams to be a ways off the main roads. Has anyone heard of it and can comment? thanks again :)

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I know of a Big log house on a mtn lake that will be vacant for the long-weekend while it's sole occupant goes grizzly hunting:lol: . Eh, OSW???

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed"!! :)

SSS

one-shot-wonder
05-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I know of a Big log house on a mtn lake that will be vacant for the long-weekend while it's sole occupant goes grizzly hunting:lol: . Eh, OSW???

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed"!! :)

SSS

Nice one SSS,

I had an alarm system installed when I got my ram back from the taxi....8-)

BTW the mountain lake dried up in the abnormally dry month of april.:lol:

Joe89
05-16-2007, 01:12 PM
you could try in the Chute lake area, maybe up Ratnip road, with a gps you can hike into Ratnip lake (only a 10 minute hike from the road). There is also Elenor Lake and Naramata Lake

Fisher-Dude
05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
thanks for the help guys. I do have a backroads map and I have beeen looking at it. I found a decent sized lake called Ideal lake that seams to be a ways off the main roads. Has anyone heard of it and can comment? thanks again :)

Ideal Lake (Belgo Dam) is a nice spot but does get some of the younger Rutland high school crowd out on the weekends. Last year I was driving up that way when the hung-over/still-drunk grads were coming down the hill...scarey drive! :shock: