PDA

View Full Version : Securing your trail cams

Harvest the Land
12-19-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm new to the trail cam seen and can't tell you how excited I am to start using them!

How much effort do you guys put in securing your trail cams? I just got a pretty decent deal on Ebay for 3 Moultrie A5's and I decided to also purchase the security boxes for them as well. So I'm wondering if I should also buy a few cable locks for them as well or is that overkill?

One of the spots I'll be setting them up in is a nice bedding area way far off the road and a good 2km hike in, and I've never seen anyone that far in, so I'm not too concerned of something jacking a trail cam from me in that area (but you never know right?). However, another spot I'd like to set one up is right on top of a watering hole in the middle of a ravine that's pretty close to a relatively active logging road, but its not the easiest spot to hike into.

Do you also think its a good idea to set the trail cams up above eye level and angle them down so they're not in plain sight of passers by? Since I'll be keeping them inside the security boxes would you guys also lock em down with cable locks to be extra safe or is that overkill?

Thanks for in advance for your insight!

chris
12-19-2015, 11:54 AM
I welded up some lock boxes for all of mine. I screw them to trees and wrap a big chain. I have yet to have one go missing but it doesn't matter how good your locks are. If someone wants it they will just cut the tree down and take it. I set them up at about 4 ft off the ground pointing a way from the sun. I have yet to see anybody on my cams and they are all within a km or so from the road.

Rob Chipman
12-19-2015, 12:05 PM
I use python locks. I've seen guys on my cams, and they've seen the cams as well, but they've never damaged them. I've been lucky with bears - no damage from them.

Coachman
12-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I've got all my cams cheap off ebay. I never pay more for one than I am willing to accept the loss if some POS steals it. That said, I've never lost one yet, but pretty sure it will happen some day.

Putting your cams where most people don't hike helps. I assume that the further back off trail you are, the less likely to be a victim of theft. Thieves seem to be lazy..

Steve W
12-19-2015, 01:48 PM
I've put cameras out in some very busy places. My best security from theft was hiding them really well. I'd cover them with bark, sticks, grass, dirt or plaything that I could glue to the units. I never set them at eye level either. Lost two early on because they were at eye level and not well hidden.

Enjoy your new cameras, it's very addictive.

Sofa King
12-19-2015, 05:05 PM
here's how mine currently looks right this moment.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/t31.0-8/12363227_890833181036929_1315295475359762854_o.jpg

some sweet, bad-ass zap-straps locking it down.
my lock was seized up when i put it out recently, so i'm going out tomorrow to put a new lock on it.
but the python cable lock is also on it and it runs through both the lock-box and the tcam so it's good as it is anyway.
someone could possibly open it and take the card.

but, like others have said, if someone wants it bad enough, ain't nothing stopping them.
the main thing i do is i don't put my cams in the best spots.
don't follow a trail to set it up, others will naturally follow that trail also.
and be very careful when setting up in the snow.
leaving tracks to and from is just inviting someone to find it.

Harvest the Land
12-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys - good tips! I will definitely be getting some python cable locks - peace of mind. Its a lot of work to cut down a big fir.

Sofa King, is that a UWay MB600? If so, how do you like it? I'm planning on getting a cellular trail cam to add to the arsenal in the next few months but still trying to figure out which one to get and whether it will work with a Telus, Rogers, or Bell phone plan. Any insight on a good cellular trail cam?

Sofa King
12-19-2015, 06:41 PM
it's a covert code black 3G.
i love it.

i would go on more about it and the others, but the "pros" on here get their panties in a knot when one tires to share their own experiences.
i think you'd be happy with any of the 3G cams out there.

Sofa King
12-19-2015, 06:47 PM
and here's my solar panel, so i never have to go disturb the area.
i also have a booster antenna, i'll probably put it up when i go out to put the lock on.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/t31.0-8/12365916_890833234370257_6565113125198030207_o.jpg

hunter1947
12-20-2015, 05:32 AM
I don't secure my trail cams the way I look at it is your trail cam is secured if someone wants this cam it will be gone no matter how well you secure the trail cam ,,I try to put my cams in areas where not many people go..

Elkaholic
12-20-2015, 10:23 AM
Typically all of my cams are in steel lock boxes lag bolted into the tree with either a lock or python cable on it. I still have lost 2 cameras along the way but that just makes you change how you bolt them, use washers with them helps keep them on. Reality of it is this, if somebody wants your camera they will get it. But the lockboxes and such help me stay a bit more relaxed.

caddisguy
12-21-2015, 08:04 AM
I've never secured any of my cams. Been running 3-5 of them for a couple years now and only lost one to what seemed to be a bear. I might still find it one day, but it's a needle in a heck of a thick haystack. Had a couple others knocked out of place by bears (security boxes might have helped)

Like some others mentioned, hiding them a ways off the beaten track is half the battle. Making them blend in is good too. It's amazing what a little moss and some old mans beard will do. IMHO concealing the strap reduces the odds of someone seeing it 50-90% (depending on size of tree)

allan
12-21-2015, 08:25 AM
I've glued stuff on the camera that matches the tree, it's hard to see the camera even when looking at it.
I've always set mine about 10ft off the game trail I'm watching so that one has to have their head up looking for it.
What I've done is put something obscure on the other side of the trail that draws a persons attention to it so as they are walking they don t look to the camera side. Example - flagging, beer can on a tree branch, strangely placed tree limb, bones whatever...
In high traffic areas I put the camera high, 15 ft angled down. I get poorer quality pics but no one ever seems to look up. ( I use climbing sticks from my tree stand to get them up. ) I've never used lock boxes but I'm sure it would have saved the bear encounters.

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 10:30 AM
lots of guys are mentioning "high-traffic" areas, that's a big point right there.
setting up near those obviously will greatly increase your odds of losing a cam.
but, i guess avoiding those areas can be kinda hard to do anywhere in the south really.
myself, i guess i'm luckier, in that i'm already in fairly remote areas in comparison.
but, i still go to even further lengths, and i never set my cams in the best spots, because anyone else who happens to hunt the area would/should also know where the best spots are.
so i always avoid those and set up even more remotely, which then results in me not getting the best pics of the most game in the area.
but i don't get too serious with my cams, i scout mostly with my camera and feet, hiking my areas, my cams are more for fun.
so i set them up with their concealment being more important than their location.
by that, i clearly mean their spot is more remote, not the concealment of the cams.
i've seen some guys who do a great job actually decorating their tcams with forest debris though.

i re-set mine yesterday.
had to go back in and put a lock on it, and found tons of new tracks through the area, and 12 beds also.
but they all were just up from where my cam was, so i move it to hopefully a better spot where they were moving through.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12391439_891875607599353_2462028994977546782_n.jpg ?oh=d12284ea6f7d7af544b7659308e12262&oe=571D6D8B

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 10:33 AM
when you can buy one of these for under a hundred bucks, nothing anywhere is really safe.

http://www.tool-rank.com/media/listing/photos/original/5d/bc/21/41Tb173ZH2BL-72-1414397084.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1n66Gvu3JAhVDcD4KHVfuDtoQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tool-rank.com%2Flisting%2Fcordless-grinders%2F&psig=AFQjCNEdqD9euvLOq4MxS10Gbt7zHhrKOQ&ust=1450805564390823)

J_T
12-21-2015, 10:43 AM
I think if you remove all of the protective security stuff, and remove the black strap the cam itself is almost invisible. That's my approach to security. I use bailing wire to attach my cams to trees. It applies tighter than the web strap and the animals have a harder time bumping it around. And, most of all, when all I have is the camera itself, they are hard to see. Haven't lost one yet. But that's the EK, not the LML or Okanagan.

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 10:55 AM
JT, you are spot on with that.
it's the straps and accessories that really stand out.
and even with all the shit on mine, when i walked away from it and looked back, from behind the tree, what jumped out was the solar panel.
and the same on where it was before, as i approached it yesterday, what jumped out from a distance was the solar panel hanging in the tree.
but running a more elaborate set up is going to pose those problems.
the biggest inconvenience with a 3G tcam, is having to set up where you find service.
usually the best spots you find, you then can't set up there as they have no service, and i find i usually have to set up out of "the zone"(deer) to make sure the cam will send pics.
kind of a pain, probably not as much in the larger pop areas like lower mainland though where service is probably much better and larger.

Ubertuber
12-21-2015, 11:41 AM
I don't use security devices on mine. Pieces of bark, small branches, and moss all work well to obscure the camera. I also put a piece of tape over any LED lights that may flash when a pic is taken.

bassplayer
12-21-2015, 12:05 PM
I welded up my own security boxes using bed frame. 6 inch lag bolts x4 and a Python cable lock. I know nothing is fool proof but i'll make it as hard as possible for them. My cams are way out of the way but i do get the odd person on cam that stumbles upon my spot by fluke now and again. It's just a question of whether that person on my cam has morals or returns later with tools. First pic is of my first ever cam that came with a cheap lock bracket. As you can see from the pic, someone tried to jack it. Eventually this cam did get stolen. I used a chain with a lock that they managed to cut through. It was a lame StealthCam anyways and i was having issues with it. They can have the headaches instead lol.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/100_0166-1.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/DSC06752_zpsa099de82.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/DSC06767_zps5d157100.jpg

Rob Chipman
12-21-2015, 12:14 PM
SofaKing:

Is that a solar panel for your cam? I haven't seen those. How do you like it? I've got one cam with AA batteries and they never last long.

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 02:43 PM
SofaKing:

Is that a solar panel for your cam? I haven't seen those. How do you like it? I've got one cam with AA batteries and they never last long.

yes it is.
it's a solar panel with it's own battery pack as well.
i also have the cam packed with 12 high quality rechargable AA's.
the system has been awesome.
for the 3G cams, it's a must, as they burn through regular batteries quite fast because of their searching for a signal and sending data.

IslandBC
12-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Sofa, where did you purchase the solar panel? How much did it cost? Really nice set up you got there..

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 06:08 PM
thanks.
i bought all mine online.
bought my tcam, antenna booster, and solar panel all together, all covert.
there's other brands of solar panels, but i stuck with the one made for my brand.
plus, it's one of the more lightweight and slim models i was seeing available.
i like that it has a simple hanger rather than an actual mounting bracket attachment.

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 06:32 PM
for the tcam, lock-box, python lock, antenna booster, and solar panel/pack it was about $550 i think.
i'd have to dig and find my receipt to know for sure.

IslandBC
12-21-2015, 07:20 PM
That's a great deal... Thanks for the reply

glennw89
12-21-2015, 08:14 PM
I have never secured any of my trail cams and have never had one stolen (knock on wood). The only people I have ever got on the trail cams are some foresters and they left them alone. Most of the trail cams are located in areas well off the road/trail and in thick cover - very unlikely for someone who would actually consider stealing one to bump into it.

Clint_S
12-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I welded up my own security boxes using bed frame.

Funny that's what I use also. A cheap source of 1.5x1.5 angle I never pass up.