PDA

View Full Version : Smokin fish and Brine solutions

HarryToolips
12-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Just pulled a couple trout I caught from a month ago out of the freezer, as I got some time this weekend to smoke em...i used to just simply salt em, then smoke em in my charcoal smoker with apple chips or whatever, but I'm thinkin I wanna try doin the brine solution idea, I imagine I'd get wAy more flavour that way...

Thinkin I'll let em thaw overnight, then soak em in the solution for a few hours in the morning, then smoke em for a while, is that what you folks normally do?? And I've heard of a brine solution with brown sugar and sea salt but can't remember the ratio etc...

So please critique my method, and what's your favourite brine solution?????

Daybreak
12-18-2015, 07:06 PM
This one is time tested and sure to please:

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup non iodized salt
2 cups soya sauce (China Lily)
1 cup water
1/2 Tsp onion powder
1/2 Tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tsp black pepper
1/2 Tsp Tabasco sauce
1 cup dry white wine

Brine for 8 hrs minimum in fridge.

You can strain the brine off at the end, put it in a glass container (canning jar) and keep refrigerated for next time.

Daybreak
12-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Alder is generally a preferred wood for smoking fish. Smoke for about 2-3 hours and then leave fish in smoker until you have the desired dryness.

ETA; you can notch this up with a bit of red chili flakes if you desire.

goatdancer
12-18-2015, 08:22 PM
'Go online to 'Salmon University'. They have a dry brine recipe that works very well. Trout are fairly thin so don't overdo the smoking.

markomoose
12-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Simple plan--3 parts brown sugar to 1 part sea salt.Overnight and rinse off in the A.M. and into the smoker.Alder chips are my fave and being rainbow trout it should not take more than 3 or 4 hrs depending on thickness.Tried and true method my grandfather taught me.He was a commercial fisherman and I don't remember a person not loving it.Good luck H.T. Cheers Mark

Dougielightning
12-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Just finished ten pinks from summer and wanted to try a rub. This is what I did.
3/4-7/8 cup pickling salt not table
1 package brown sugar demera 1 kg
500 ml creamed honey
1 full garlic about twelve cloves crushed
1 cup 40 creek whiskey
all hand mixed and dry rubbed into pinks on both side fillets piled two or three deep. Bribed in plastic containers in fridge for 8-12 hours we left for twenty hours but was still really great. Let stand on racks or paper towel for two to three hours until pelicle forms shines dry top smokes for 7 or 8 hours four trays of alder wood.

Many three girls and my wife have tore threw a lot of it and it is without question the best salmon we smoked to date lol. Love the forty creek

HarryToolips
12-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Wicked tips thanks all!!!!

ACB
12-18-2015, 10:38 PM
2 cups coarse salt{pickling salt}, one cup demerara sugar and then enough water in a clean bucket that a egg only floats half way. Brine over night. Then rinse off well!, and dry. I some times let it dry in the fridge for a day on a paper towel. Then smoke 2-3 hrs at 170-180C

ACB
12-18-2015, 10:42 PM
You don't need all this other crap, you want to be able to taste the fish and fish has a very delicate flavor. But mind you it's all a matter of taste.

tomahawk
12-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Prefer a dry brine with 4 parts brown sugar to one coarse salt and whatever spices you like , I use garlic powder, lemon pepper, paprika and add what you like. No water or fluids. Brine min of one day I usually do 2 nights. Layer of dry brine, then fish, brine etc. It creates its own liquid

bang flop
12-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Funny this thread came up. I just went though freezer and pulled out 40 lbs for the smoker. Will make 2 batches.

I use a very simple recipe.

Cut fish into thin strips, about 3/4" x 3/4" x 3" long.
I use 2 kg brown sugar, or demorara sugar (bad spelling I know...). Mix the 2 kg sugar with 1.5 cups of pickling/coarse salt.
Layer the fish and brine, about 20lbs of fish is about max for the brine.
I brine a lot longer than most and is fish dependent. Usually sits in brine 72 hours
Rinse fish.
Place on racks
4 pans of apple or cherry smoke.
Dry till desired texture

Before sealing vacuum seal bags, I go heavy on the fresh cracked pepper corns... adds so much flavor.
Easy peasy recipe... and cheap, and is pretty dang good!

PM if you want further details

dmaxtech
12-19-2015, 10:35 AM
If you rinse in cold water for a half hour after brining to release some of the salt it tastes way better!!

GoatGuy
12-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Ironnoggin' has an awesome brine - tastes great.

Jack Russell
12-19-2015, 11:35 AM
I smoke a lot of fish during Christmas. I always smoke fish after hunting season - I have time and the weather is cooler allowing for a better process (my opinion only).

I've used numerous recipes and derivatives thereof. I find most brines are good and do the job and are tasty. The trick is to be aware that when it comes to smoking fish, the devil is in the details.

If you can get a hold of the Luhr Jensen Little/Big Chief smoker booklets, it offers a lot of good info. Some of the stuff I mention below is right out of the booklet, and are details to pay attention to - they make the difference.

This recipe is a derivative of a youtube recipe. You can use this for approximately 3 "sockeye sized" salmon, AND, you can re-use it on a second batch. I haven't re-used brine before until this year, and the results were still great.

¾ cup kosher salt (non iodized is what you want, basically)
¾ cup brown sugar (use some good stuff, or just the basic)
¾ cup soy sauce
2 cups of water
1 cup of honey
2 grated garlic cloves

Mix together WELL, dissolve all the salt etc. DO NOT USE METAL bowls - glass or plastic only.

I filet my salmon, all rib bones and fin bones removed. I don't worry about the pin bones, they seem to "disappear" to some degree.

Cut the pieces in strips from dorsal to belly. Don't make the strips too wide, we want good penetration of the brine into the fish. AS TO SKIN on the fish - some pieces I skin, to make some pieces a bit drier as some people like drier fish. Some pieces I leave skin on - the oils of the fish don't seem to drip off as fast.

After 18 - 24 hours (YES, this long!!) and with regular stirring to make sure all the fish is well brined in the bowl (important to move the fish strips around every so often), I will remove them from the brine. You can pat dry with paper towel, or you can give them a very quick rinse from cold tap water and then pat dry. If you mixed your brine and fish well, you shouldn't have any salty "hot spots" to worry about. If this is your first go, I would recommend a very quick rinse and then pat dry.

Place fish on the racks. Fish with skins on, place skin side down. Fill the racks, but don't let pieces overlap each other. Don't let the pieces touch each other if possible.

Let sit on the racks outside (in the cold, but not freezing) for a couple hours. This puts the "pellicle" on the fish and makes for a nice "skin" on the outside. If in a rush, I use a floor fan and blow some air onto them for an hour or so.

If you are using a "chief" brand smoker, they are not well insulated. If you smoke during the winter, it may be difficult, particularly in windier conditions, to maintain heat inside the smoker. This will affect your fish product. Use the box that the smoker comes in over top the smoker to keep in heat. Sometimes I use another box in addition. This will keep the heat up during the process.

I smoke with Alder only. I am not a fan of flavoured smoke. I only use 2 PANS (full pans) of alder chips - this will give you plenty of smoke flavour. With the strip size I use and using the Big Chief smoker, the fish is done in approximately 8 hours. Keep an eye on it after 6 hours and try not to over do it. If you see the thin pieces looking done, take them off and let the thicker pieces carry on until they are done to you liking.

I have a thermometer stuck into the card board box to get a rough idea of the smoker temperature. I think you want the internal temp to be around 160 degrees Fahrenheit? If you have a thermometer, use it. It will help with keeping the process "on time" and help you in avoiding oversmoked/dried fish.

Fresh pieces off the smoker always look like hell. You may feel like you overdid them. Don't panic. After a few hours, the oils will start to shine up and the fish will look like a million bucks and you can't wait to eat some. The smoked fish, in my opinion, always tastes better AFTER it has cooled off and set, so do not make an opinion on your fish while it is still warm etc. Let it sit, and set up.

I vacuum pack and give them away. You can freeze it, but I have had it in the fridge, vacuum packed, for months and have eaten it - no problems.

its a lot of work, but keep in mind, the better you look after your fish from the very start (catching, icing, gutting, freezing etc., ) the better your fish will turn out. Use quality ingredients, use only good fish (you put in crap fish (freezer burnt), you get crap fish back).

Get at 'er!

HarryToolips
12-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks all very good tips!

hunter1947
12-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Make it simple I just use soy sauce demaria sugar and pickling salt ,,1/4 cup of salt,,4 cups pf sugar,1/2 cup of soy sauce,tablespoon of garlic salt..

goatdancer
12-19-2015, 04:40 PM
You can always sprinkle spices or sugar on the fillets before you stick them in the smoker. All a personal preference.
One hint, if it's your first time trying a particular recipe do a small batch to see if you like it. Otherwise you'll end up with a lot of wasted fish.

Apolonius
12-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Alder is generally a preferred wood for smoking fish. Smoke for about 2-3 hours and then leave fish in smoker until you have the desired dryness.

ETA; you can notch this up with a bit of red chili flakes if you desire.Right on Daybreak!!!

Patman7
12-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Make it simple I just use soy sauce demaria sugar and pickling salt ,,1/4 cup of salt,,4 cups pf sugar,1/2 cup of soy sauce,tablespoon of garlic salt..

apple juice with this recipe is REAL GOOD!

IronNoggin
12-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Ironnoggin' has an awesome brine - tastes great.

Why Thanks GG! Appreciated!
The site I had all my smoking recipes on is now gone (FishBC).

Here's the list for any who are looking for them:

Hot Smoked Salmon:

Wet Brine: Mix proportionally for the amount of salmon on hand:

1 gallon of water
1 cup of coarse salt
3 cups Demerra (brown cane) Sugar
1/3 jar Garlic Plus (ClubHouse One-Step Seasonings)
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/3 cup Soya Sauce
50 grams Dry Mustard
1 finely chopped onion

Pre-mix the brine and allow it to sit for a couple of hours. This lets all the ingredients/flavours blend. Add either chunked or whole fillets (as in my case) to the brine, and let sit for ~ 12 or so hours. Remove salmon from the brine, and wash well in cold running water. Barbeque Pam (spray on oil) works well for the grills to prevent product from sticking. Lay salmon out on grills, and set up on a counter/table surface (large freezer in my case). Run a fan such that air circulates well both top and bottom surfaces of the salmon. Dry under the fans until the salmon is no longer moist to the touch, and forms a nice sheen. Following smoke duration is dependent upon volume and salmon thickness.

Each side must be carefully washed, pat-dried, and racked to form that beautiful glazed finish under the fans:

Air-drying has two purposes: During the smoking/drying process, a large amount of moisture is shed along with excess smoke and heat. The less the heat and smoke have to carry in the way of moisture, the more efficient is their process. The finish air drying creates is nice and glossy, and has the benefits of allowing smoke through, but partially slowing the moisture loss. That allows longer, slower smoking (which I greatly prefer), or a flash "cook" if necessary. This also reduces the amount of yellowish fat that leaches through to the surface of the product (starting off with a cooler smoker temperature like ~ 100-125 then gradually increasing that also helps in this regard).

I run two household fans over grilled full sides to speed that process. Depending on how thick/heavy the fillets are, it can take up to four or five hours or more to achieve the desired result. Rotate the grills, obviously. With chunks as opposed to sides, your time would be reduced somewhat. You'll recognize when - the surface will be chiefly dry to the touch, smooth and glossy.

The smoking process length of course varies with the amount of fish, ambient air temperature etc. I run my smoker at ~ 150 degrees, but it is large, and the larger ones require more heat. Smaller smokers require the temp to be lower. To check it, you have to have a look. Not recommended to do too often. Look for the colour your wanting, then check consistency. Outside should have a nice smokey finish, not too moist (OK if the edges turn a tad dark... YUM!). Upon touch, the product should have a reasonably resistant outer shell, but the inside somewhat moist, almost rubbery.

Candied Salmon toothpick version

Thaw the salmon (springs, coho, sockeye work well), then fillet. Remove rib bones as per normal, then a THIN slice to get rid of those pesky rib-bones. Cut into thin strips ~ 1/2 to an inch wide, and ~ 1/4 inch thick.

This brine is a particularly sweet brew, one my Missuz thoroughly adores

1/2 gallon of water
1/4 cup of coarse salt
3 & 1/2 cups of real maple syrup
4 Kg's of pure honey (melted)
4 Kg's of Demerra Sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Can you say pricey??
Let that sit for a couple of hours while you prep the fish to let the flavours mix and the sugar dissolve. Then toss in the salmon strips:

Let that sit at least 12 hours, it doesn't hurt to sit a tad longer, but never short-change.

Then remove each strip, do NOT wash off the brine as it forms the glaze, and pierce through one (heavier) end with 1/2 of a round toothpick (told ya this one was time-consuming!!), and hang suspended on your grill. Space such that the strips do NOT touch each other, as they WILL fuse together if you make that mistake!

Repeat the process until you've used up all the fish strips, and set in a cool place to dry:
That often takes in excess of 24 hours (36 this go!). You can't run the fans too close initially, or it will cause the strips to contact each other and fuse. Also be careful not to over-dry the product

Then it's into the smoker for a while. I find hickory a tad too strong for this recipe. A mix of 1/2 apple and 1/2 alder makes for a very smooth "velvety" flavour. Keep the heat somewhat low (~ 125) to avoid over-drying and scorching:

The finished product will still remain transparent, but take on a distinctly smokey flavour.

Candy Salmon Bigger Chunks

Cut Salmon into appropriate sizes chunks, then introduce to brine.

Brine:
1 gallon of White Cranberry Juice
1/2 cup Lemon juice
1/4 Cup Vanilla Extract
3 cups Demmerra Sugar
1 cup Coarse Salt
I bag Dry Mustard
Garlic to your taste

Brine 24 hours, rinse and pat dry. Place on racks under the fans to dry. Once dry to touch, glaze (standard squirter bottle works well), dry, repeat, dry and repeat 3rd time. Takes ~ 18 - 24 hours.

Glazing:

Glaze:
1/3 vanilla Extract
1/3 Real maple Syrup
1/3 Rum

Smoke on medium heat (again 1/2 Alder, 1/2 Apple Chips) until close, then glaze a final time and finish. Very sweet tasting product that is also rather eye-appealing.

Cheers,
Nog

Edge
12-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Simple plan--3 parts brown sugar to 1 part sea salt.Overnight and rinse off in the A.M. and into the smoker.Alder chips are my fave and being rainbow trout it should not take more than 3 or 4 hrs depending on thickness.Tried and true method my grandfather taught me.He was a commercial fisherman and I don't remember a person not loving it.Good luck H.T. Cheers Mark

+1 tried and true !