PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on CT90/110

tripleseven
12-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm making a plan for purchasing a hunting vehicle, and i wanted people's input on CT90/110's for me. A lot of guys seem to love them. I like the idea of a little bike to ease access with all the gates on the island. I also like the idea of getting a carrier for the front of my 1 ton pickup, so I don't always have to bring a trailer. Here are my questions for guys with experience:

I'm 6' and 250 lbs. Will a bike of this size work?

Can you carry 2 of them on a front carrier that mounts in a receiver hitch?

How effetive are they for getting game out? Can you get 2 quarters of a moose out in one trip?

How do they work off road's like say on a firm seismic cut line?

Any other thoughts or advice guys care to share? I did a lot of mountain bike hunting this fall which I loved, but a guy has to pick and choose you island roads, or just plan on walking the bike in. My other option, of course, is a used quad.

Thanks!

lip_ripper00
12-18-2015, 02:34 PM
They where great machines in their day, but they have not been made for 35 years parts replacement might be an issue

knighthunter
12-18-2015, 02:54 PM
I think Bimmerbob has a couple, maybe get a hold of him for advice.

E.B.
12-18-2015, 03:09 PM
They do not have the suspension for any rough offroad but will handle your weight no problem on logging roads and trails. Konker makes a very good quality copy of the hondas and 125 cc. If you do not require lights and turn signals a great little offroad bike is the kawasaki 110 without clutch is best. From 2010 on they have been upgraded to easily handle adults. Will take some abuse as well.

BigfishCanada
12-18-2015, 03:14 PM
the new Yamaha tw models are good, try checking those out

Salty
12-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Not fast not flashy not a lot of suspension but one of the most dependable rigs going. A buddy had a real nice 110 that I kick myself for not jumping on he sold it while I hummed and hawed. As said no longer made but they're dead simple to work on and I think I ran across places to order parts when I did a lil research. Light enough to manhandle easily but they'll pack a good load putting along. Tons of them were used as mail delivery units all over the world is one of the claims to fame.,,

Big Lew
12-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Had a Honda 90 that you could switch from 'street' to 'off-road' and took it all
over, including in my cartop and canoe (made a tripod to lift it in and out)
It was a bit too small, wheels and tires included, for someone your size if going
on loose sand and gravel. It also overheated frequently because it had to work
so hard. I also had a Suzuki 125 that I used in similar places as well as on the hwy.
It often carried 2 men (one sitting on the rear carrier) as we traveled on old roads,
trails, and where there were no paths. I wish I still had that Suzuki today. Brought
a few deer out with it.

frase
12-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Had a nice 110 but didn't like it as I always found myself gawking around looking for critters instead of keeping my eyes on the road. Needless to say I would hit a rock, pothole, or something and just about go flying. Would be ok for going from point a to b but not for road hunting. Switched to a quad for putting around.

CAC
12-18-2015, 03:59 PM
They are still being made, just not sold in North America. Look up the Postie Bike in Australia.

(http://store.onetenmotorcycles.com.au/)http://store.onetenmotorcycles.com.au/
http://www.postiebikes.com/faq.htm
http://postiebikes1.tripod.com/PBCA-Modifications.htm

etc...

Should also mention the used ones here have gone up about 300% in the last five years. Used to be able to buy them for $300-400 now they go for around $1200. Crazy. May be $5000 in 10 years, buy a couple and retire early or late....

tripleseven
12-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the info. I know I'd be getting into an older bike, and I'm prepared for that. One of the things I really enjoyed about hunting on my pedal bike (and one of the reason's i'm not thrilled about quads) is the lack of noise. I understand the CT90's are only second to electric bikes for being quiet.

Thanks for the suggestion of a Yamaha TW200 BigFishCanada....they look really intriguing. As they weight less than 300 lbs, it seem feasible to trow a couple on a front motorcycle carrier. Does anyone know how noisey the TW200 is compared to a CT90?

CAC, I was a bit shocked when i started looking at prices for these CT bikes. I'm sure at $1200 - $2500 they have appreciated since new. I can get a brand new entry level quad or TW200 for about $5000.

CAC
12-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Here is my ride.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/ChrisCameron/20150904_141152.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/ChrisCameron/media/20150904_141152.jpg.html)

Ohwildwon
12-18-2015, 05:44 PM
The bike above is a hell of a lot more practical...

I grew up on a CT90, at 6' 250 lbs, your dreaming, its meant for kids...

plumbcrazy
12-18-2015, 06:19 PM
I had nothing but electrical issues with a 110. Dead battery=no go. Loved the TW before riding in comfort in a quad.

tripleseven
12-18-2015, 06:20 PM
How is 1st gear on those enduro bikes? I havent had a dirt bike since i was a teenager, but I don't remember it being particularly easy to go slow (I don't think I ever tried, haha). I read the tw200 has a stump puller first, and it seems like wide tires would give more stabilty at slow speeds?

swampthing
12-18-2015, 06:26 PM
I almost bought one this spring to access my grizzly hunt. I had to travel about 30km on a road that was ditched/de-activated every 500 meters. ATVs weren't allowed in the unit. I figured I could "plate" the Honda and use it. I strongly considered the Yamaha TW200 as well. I think it would be better as its more modern. As far as hauling meat I think the best bet would be to haul it in your backpack one quarter at a time, for moose anyways.

CHEAM
12-18-2015, 06:29 PM
I personally like hunting off a small motor bike( xr 100) more than my quad. It will go more places than my quad,burn less gas and less noise. Just not as good for packing moose back to the truck.

scoutlt1
12-18-2015, 06:37 PM
I think you'd be pushing it (weight) with one of those little bikes especially if you're considering hauling out moose quarters!

I've heard lots of good things about the TW200....am considering one myself. I'm really no good on a two-wheeler though....always staring at the road a few feet ahead of me. A quad might be a better option for you, or stick to the mountain bike?? :)

CAC
12-18-2015, 07:09 PM
First gear or any gear can be a bit tall compared to the old Trail 90 especially the one with low range, but you can swap out the front sprocket for a smaller one to drop the ratio. Cheap and easy to reverse.

Mishka
12-18-2015, 07:10 PM
I have a CT90 I rebuilt for fun. It's a great little bike, easy to work on and easy to manoeuvre at only 200lbs. Surprisingly, parts are easy to get. DrATV has a great selection of parts for those bikes. But your height might be pushing it. I'm 5'9" with long legs and I'm sitting at the back edge of the seat.

REMINGTON JIM
12-18-2015, 07:50 PM
I had a CT90 not that many years ago - too Rough riding - POOR suspension ! and NOT enough power ! im 210 lbs and YOUR way to big for it ! jmo RJ

Chopper
12-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Would not mess with the 90 ... the 110 is the only way to go. All the parts you ever need at Beatrice cycles http://dratv.com/honcttrail90.html. These parts ARE NOT Chinese , they are real factory Honda parts. Do not buy one that is in the $1000 range and needs work. Pay top dollar for one that is mint and then keep it up properly. You can buy the 500lb shocks for them if you need more carrying capacity. Im 6'3 220lbs and love mine. I have the heavy duty shocks. My 110 drastically out preforms the 90's ... My engine is very fresh.

I would recommend also looking at the small Yamaha grizzly quads .. when it snows you are fked on a two wheeled bike

Best of luck !

tripleseven
12-18-2015, 10:07 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5611&stc=1

hey. weren't these guys riding CT's? I'm a reasonably athletic 250 for the record, hahah.

Keta1969
12-18-2015, 10:28 PM
I had a 110 and they are a great little bike. However I sold it it as I found it only practical from point a-b, as someone else said, try to hunt from it and you will crash. I'm around 200 and could get myself and a decent blacktail out in one trip. They hate loose gravel on hills, never bail and push if it won't get up with you in the saddle start walking.I just use my feet now but there are times when I'm waaay back that I wish I still had one but I've gotten real good at boning out in the bush.

Drillbit
12-18-2015, 11:31 PM
My buddies and I have hunted lots of Honda XR100's. The only issues we had was flats, so we all put the widest tires we could fit on them and that solved everything.

For street legal, an XL100s would work good too (one of them in the crew)

tripleseven
12-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Really appreciate the input guys, please keep it coming. I'm now seriously thinking of the TW200, as I live on a big old island, and i really like the option of a front bike rack and not needing a trailer for a quad. also would be rad to have something to run into town when the camper is parked.

tripleseven
12-19-2015, 12:19 AM
I had a 110 and they are a great little bike. However I sold it it as I found it only practical from point a-b, as someone else said, try to hunt from it and you will crash. I'm around 200 and could get myself and a decent blacktail out in one trip. They hate loose gravel on hills, never bail and push if it won't get up with you in the saddle start walking.I just use my feet now but there are times when I'm waaay back that I wish I still had one but I've gotten real good at boning out in the bush.

I loved hunting from a mountain bike. No word of exaggeration i rode up within less than 10 yards of multiple does...i dont think animals tune into the combination on no sound and not a visual human walking form. however many of my spots make it impossible here on the island. nobody could ride (or walk)a mtn bike 15 km steep uphill before dark, or at least i sure couldn't.

okas
12-19-2015, 12:23 PM
i all so had one , 265lb me this did not work out on a trail. My DRZ 400 is way better i am putting a drop down side car on it for my dogie and to fit the rail way track . yea:mad: i know bad bad bad

featherweight
12-19-2015, 06:27 PM
I have had at CT110 for 35 years and two of my hunting partners as well. Yes, they will take a man with a large frame, and no our bikes have never overheated. I have had a front mount for my truck and it works well except it impedes the headlights a bit. Two bikes would be a challenge. These machines do not work well in the gumbo up north, nor in anything but light snow. They are well suited to the Island logging spurs and skidder trails. I have taken out whole deer mounted on the rear carrier rack on several occasions, including a large mule deer up a very steep trail. The CT90/110 is a bit tricky to balance when the deer is draped from one side to the other. Two quarters of moose? Hmm, I guess it is possible, but probably not safe. Good luck!

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-19-2015, 08:46 PM
I had a TW200 for 3 years. Nice and quiet and do a good job in the bush. Good around town too. They will take you down the highway but I prefer 4 wheels for this. Little bit front end heavy so not quite as nimble in the bush as a "dirt" bike but they are great for a dual purpose machine. Seat is nice and low but you have excellent ground clearance. Be prepared to keep saying NO when you are constantly being asked if you want to sell it. Newer ones do not have a kick start. Two Hondas on a front rack??? thats a lot of weight vs mechanical advantage out front, plus do you plan to be able to use your truck headlights. One might be ok. They are smaller than a TW and I wouldn't compare one to the other as they are both quite different machines and both are great in their own element. You can put front and rear racks on both. Good luck with your choice. The saying NO thing will apply to both bikes

steve-r
12-19-2015, 09:48 PM
I had a '77 ct90 for a few years. A great little bike with almost 8000 miles on it. Motor got a bit weak on the top end but still had good compression but for a lark i replaced it with a Lifan 160cc 4 stroke engine. Got all the parts from Dr ATV and locally from a Honda dealer. I lost the hi-low range but gained significant low end torque such that I never needed low range on trails. Top end increased to 60mph, which was too much for the original suspension and brakes on it. The original 6 volt electrical systems were always a weak spot on these bikes, especially the headlight at night. I supplemented with my Petzl headlamp on trails when dark.
Last year I sold it and got one of these which imho is far superior for off road hunting, exploring, cargo, and a passenger.
https://www.rokon.com/bikes/rokon-hunters

popeye
12-23-2015, 04:31 PM
6'2", 250 lbs

Love my 78' CT90. Was my grandfathers before me, and was used several times to pack out moose quarters. Haven't done it myself, but the rack on the back is sturdy enough that I wouldn't hesitate.

820 miles on it. Doubt I could get over 30 mph on it though.

I wouldn't take it on the road, but for trail hunting is perfect.

Made a mount for it, to rest on the back of a utility trailer when traveling. U-Bolts along the trailer frame, on some 2x4 steel tubing. Sticking out the back end of the trailer 2 feet.

The Hermit
12-23-2015, 05:07 PM
I had one. Fun but not practical for anything other than getting in and out. any meat you bring out needs to be in your pack on your back. limited suspension so no off-road work. Save your money and buy a used quad...

tadpole
12-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Did you guys heard about ROKON? American made, 2 wheel drive, go anywhere type of bike. Google it for more info.

Boner
12-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Lots of CT 90 experience myself. My bro still has the bike we grew up with 30 years ago. Keep it in low range if you're a fatty. I kept her in high, but I was light back then when I rode it.

Chopper
12-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Did you guys heard about ROKON? American made, 2 wheel drive, go anywhere type of bike. Google it for more info.

THEY ARE LOUD AS FK .... Hence the caps lock