PDA

View Full Version : The SPCA is buying into emotion based science

phifedawg
12-17-2015, 07:39 AM
My apologies if this is a repost. I didn't realize the government consulted the general public about making these kinds of decisions.

Here is An article from a local Kelowna website I read this morning:

SPCA Encouraging Residents to Share Their Opinion on Proposed Hunting Changes
The province's grizzly bears and wolves are hoping to catch a break this holiday season with the help of the SPCA.

The BC SPCA are asking British Columbians to speak up on behalf of the province's wolves and bears, as new changes are being proposed regarding hunting regulations of the animals.

BC’s Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations is proposing to remove any closed season for wolf hunting and triple the number of grizzlies that can be killed in the BC’s Peace Region from 50 to 150.

Currently, wolf-hunting is allowed between August 15th- March 31st and April 1st- June 15th.

The SPCA is asking for the public to review the proposed changes and share their opinions with the BC government.

“BC’s wildlife is not just a resource for hunters and trappers to use," said BC SPCA chief scientific officer Dr. Sara Dubois. “BC’s wildlife belongs to all British Columbians and it’s their tax dollars that fund these policies.”

Members of the public are able to register their opinion through the BC government website.

Stormy
12-17-2015, 07:49 AM
If the SPCA if setting itself to be the mouthpiece of the antis - then they will loose my and my friends and families support.... the hunters (BCWF) in Kelowna, should respond to this article in the strongest way possible....

BgBlkDg
12-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Agreed, my wife and I have no heirs and WERE going to leave our entire estate(s) to the SPCA, a few years ago, when I found some VERY disturbing info. about their "anti" policies and now they openly support Raincoast and other such fanatic and false groups.

I will never give them a worn copper penny and will support the changes to BC bear and wolf hunting.

bearvalley
12-17-2015, 08:08 AM
The BC SPCA has their head firmly planted up their ass on this issue.
If there is an over abundant population of predators, the decision for how they are to be reduced to sustainable levels should be at the discretion of competent professionals who are qualified to make that call.
Part of the reason that BCs wildlife is in the pit like it is today is due to management decisions put on hold to keep the bunny hugging, knee jerk public happy.

Wentrot
12-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Ohhh the comments.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156273407845207&id=47468265206

Backwoods
12-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I wonder if they think about the caribou, elk, moose and deer!!!

russm86
12-17-2015, 08:36 AM

Apparently not. Maybe we should send them some gruesome videos to remind them what wolves do to these animals...

souwester
12-17-2015, 08:44 AM
If the SPCA if setting itself to be the mouthpiece of the antis - then they will loose my and my friends and families support.... the hunters (BCWF) in Kelowna, should respond to this article in the strongest way possible....

BCWF sort of has the same point of view as the SPCA at the moment don't they?

bearvalley
12-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Take a look at their list of allies.
The BC SPCA is no different than PETA, Raincoast, Pacific Wild, Wildlife Defense Legue or The Suzuki Foundation.
All of these organizations exploit animals for their personal gain.
Theres been a lot of dollars sucked out of the sheeps pockets by "save the wolf or bear hugging" campaigns.
Dont get me wrong, there is no bigger symbol of wilderness than a grizzly bear or a howling wolf but they cannot be left in an unchecked state unless we want to sacrifice the rest of BC's wildlife.

ncurrie
12-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Both spca and antis are very ignorant. Education is the key word. I have helped out with spca several times and I have walked away saying wtf as I did not agree with their tactics

Downwind
12-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Already sent them an email letting them know that I will be removing all future support and donations until the retract their emotion based arguments against these hunts.

MB_Boy
12-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Forgive me if I am mistaken but hasn't the SPCA been on this track for some time now???

Actually just did a search and it seems there is no umbrella organization (which I kind of thought) but rather individual 'chapters' for lack of a better term. I learned something!

From Wiki

All SPCAs around the world are independent of one another and are not affiliated in any way. Every SPCA has their own governing policies, financial reports, board of directors, and organizational goals.

Spy
12-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Ohhh the comments.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156273407845207&id=47468265206
Hit the comments page hard with facts ;-)

kebes
12-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm surprised there are people on this forum surprised by this. The SPCA is generally no friend of the hunting community.

Drillbit
12-17-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised there are people on this forum surprised by this. The SPCA is generally no friend of the hunting community.

I thought somebody on here was recently denied a shelter dog because they said it would be a good hunting dog?

I have always been under the impression that SPCA was anti

Chango
12-17-2015, 01:30 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0f/0fdf0c5bcb9648e6448762893c7c6d01ca9f74ed4d7642c302 875f2801f564a3.jpg

tuner
12-17-2015, 02:02 PM
These hypocrites neglect to mention that they too are taxpayer funded,amongst other things. I can't belived people were unaware of the SPCA's stance, they won't even allow you to adopt a dog if you're a hunter.

Looking_4_Jerky
12-17-2015, 02:15 PM
My 2 bits posted on the Facebook page:

I am a hunter (of 25 yrs or so) who was and still is opposed to the concept of "trophy hunting". In recent years, though, my position on predator harvest has shifted. I am still against killing an animal for it's head or fur, but with fewer and fewer opportunities (affected by excessive guide allocations, FN sustenance harvest, higher hunter numbers and better hunter proficiency) , predators have just become another competing interest to me. Like ungulates, their predators need to be managed. The SPCA puts themselves in a precarious and contentious position by appealing to the public to condemn Provincial wildlife management. Yes, this management unfortunately involves controlling predator numbers, but I am supportive of the management given that hunters have interests too. My position, that I'd like to see higher prey to predator ratios, is no less valid than someone else's who'd prefer the opposite.

It's somewhat of a peripheral discussion, but if we're talking the "Prevention of Cruelty to Animals", shall we compare the suffrage imposed on an animal by a well-placed bullet to that imposed by a pack of wolves chewing that animal away starting from the nice, meaty ass? If anything, the SPCA should be supportive of hunters becoming clean, proficient, ethical killers who abide by sustainable harvest restrictions.

Until the SPCA repositions itself on this issue, they have lost my support.

Surrey Boy
12-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Shows how ignorant and forgetful we are, that these lessons need to be continuously relearned.

Seeker
12-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Here is a gooder, directly from her thesis "Acknowledgement" page where she praises one of her supervisors(CEO for the SPCA, by coincidence I am sure) ....."for his commitment to ensuring that evidence-based research is a foundation for the animal welfare profession in BC".

Funny Dr. Dubois, that is all we ask for when decisions are made in managing BC's wildlife populations.

To me it appears Dr. Dubois's emotional connection to her PhD thesis has clouded her scientific sense.

tuner
12-17-2015, 03:00 PM
"The animal welfare profession in BC" kind of says it all doesn't it? The "professionally offended" demanding that their feelings take precedence over common sense, and making a pretty good living at the same time.

Xenomorph
12-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Made sure to leave a good reply

"Major reason why everyone SHOULD be OK with trophy hunting especially in what regards Grizzly bear population: OLD BOARS WILL KILL CUBS AND YOUNG INEXPERIENCED FEMALES IN THEIR QUEST FOR MATING.

My apologies for the caps, but it would be amazing if people stopped being keyboard know-it-all-warriors and look at the facts:
1. Fact: largest amount of grizzly attacks in the province in more than a few decades, old boars are aggressive and won't be afraid to challenge anyone. Some experienced, armed hunters returning from "subsistence hunting" trips, while packing their elk, sheep, deer, moose have been attacked and injured or barely escaped.
2. Fact: ungulates are extremely sensitive to habitat loss and hunting pressure, and no, I am not talking about hunters, I am talking about cougars, wolves, black bears and brown bears. Black bears alone are responsible for more than 60% elk calves fatalities every year.
3. Fact: wolves are amazing predators, they have no real competition and a large pack will kill a moose, elk, caribou every few days. They will attack humans when alone in the woods, so next time you go camping to enjoy the Wild BC make sure you pack a Defender Shotgun at least.
4. Fact: People will rather spew putrid comments online instead of getting informed and making an informed decision.

Leave God out of this, don't make me throw the bible at you with all the passages that say animals were make for the man to raise and enjoy. Seriously! I am a hunter and I respect the animals. That's why I'd rather help control the numbers of Alpha predators through traditional hunting methods (spot and stalk) rather than have them killed by poison, helicopter snipers etc

Just take the time and research what happened this year in Alberta Banff park http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/wild-things-no-grizzly-bear-cubs-survive-in-banff-national-park (http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcalgaryherald.com%2Fnews%2Flo cal-news%2Fwild-things-no-grizzly-bear-cubs-survive-in-banff-national-park&h=dAQFDUc_n&s=1)
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8LAntbTS8 (https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv% 3Drt8LAntbTS8&h=oAQFhn5x1&s=1)

Grab your shotgun next time you're in the woods and MAYBE you won't get eaten.

SPCA I am profoundly dissapointed with what you guys are doing here."

ACB
12-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Right now it's Wolfs and Bears, the thin edge of the wedge before going after every thing.

Spy
12-17-2015, 04:51 PM
Anyone got some graphic pics to share on FB? I remember seeing a pic of a calf with its hinds eaten out still alive but can't find it! These people commenting need to see the damage wolves can cause!

Seeker
12-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Another one directly from her thesis.....

"Although a mixed methods approach was used in this research in order to gather and
analyze data as objectively as possible, my subjective experience as a researcher must be
recognized. In any qualitative approach, the researcher’s underlying biases should be declared, as
the interpretation of data and reporting of results is filtered through a lens informed by both
personal and professional backgrounds. Working in the humane movement for the past decade
on wildlife issues, and interacting with provincial wildlife managers in my job, has given me
access and insight into this field. My undergraduate education in biology and previous graduate
studies in animal welfare have informed my beliefs and attitudes towards wildlife management
and influence how I collect, interpret and analyze research. Although I hold my own views about
criteria for humane human-wildlife interactions, I have attempted to seek understanding of my
participants’ beliefs, attitudes and behaviours towards wildlife, while limiting the influence of
my own values."

It now appears she is using her biases to influence......

Seeker
12-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Anyone got some graphic pics to share on FB? I remember seeing a pic of a calf with its hinds eaten out still alive but can't find it! These people commenting need to see the damage wolves can cause!

This woman wrote her thesis on wildlife management. She is well aware of what wolves do, but for the anti-sheep that follow, such images may be useful in arguing your point, but from my experience, most of those anti's are so engrained in their beliefs that it borders on illusionsal and any number of graphic images will not change their minds.

Spy
12-17-2015, 05:34 PM
This woman wrote her thesis on wildlife management. She is well aware of what wolves do, but for the anti-sheep that follow, such images may be useful in arguing your point, but from my experience, most of those anti's are so engrained in their beliefs that it borders on illusionsal and any number of graphic images will not change their minds.
It does shut them up though ;-)

IslandBC
12-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Maybe there just pissed they cant make a buck off euthanizing wolves

scoutlt1
12-17-2015, 07:35 PM
The S.P.C.A. should stick to taking care of abused cats and dogs.

They've never received a dime from me, and never will.

Cordillera
12-17-2015, 10:51 PM
I think some people here are missing the point. They are not arguing against the predator kill on any science based position. It's a moral or ethical question for those who are opposed. The only real argument that will work is the broader moral question about fundamental freedom to choose. Their moral views cannot be foisted on others unless there is a pretty compelling reason. They may choose not to hunt predators themselves but we live in a society where we tolerate other people's freedom to do things we personally don't agree with.

I personally don't hunt predators. I hunt for meat. But I will go very far to support the right of others to hunt predators if they so choose and as long as it is not damaging any populations.

Swamp mule
12-18-2015, 12:26 AM
In one of the spca's article they state that Dubois works closely with several NGOs and one of them happens to be pacific wild whom just recently stated that they are working closely with Tommy Knowles (aka co founder for wildlife defence league). Hmmmm kinda coincidence and you wonder where the influence and biased information originates.

Chango
12-22-2015, 02:29 PM
I imagine they get letters like this everyday from bleeding hearts bullying them into taking anti hunting stances in the media

Does the BC SPCA still condone the hunting of animals by its employees?
By:AAS
Date: 4/6/2009, 5:49 pm
In Response To: Trevor Lautens, North Shore News: It's about lead ripping through flesh, the bird crumpling in flight, the suddenly kneeling deer *LINK* (http://www.animaladvocates.com/watchdog.pl?md=read;id=12799) (AAS)
The lead ripping through the flesh... the wounded animal crawling off to die. How can anyone be sure, when they shoot a helpless creature that manages to run or fly away, that the creature doesn't die in agony?
Doesn't in fact, die in terrible distress? The PCA Act criminalizes the act of causing distress, for domesticated animals but the BC SPCA is both the enforcement body in BC for the PCA Act, and a self-proclaimed animal welfare society. Most major animal welfare societies are opposed to the hunting of animal for "sport". We can't find an anti-hunting statement on the SPCA website, but would be delighted to be told by the SPCA that it has one and where it is.
We would also be delighted to be told by the leading animal welfare society in BC that it no longer condones the hunting of animals by its employees, especially by its long-time senior administrators.

wideopenthrottle
12-22-2015, 02:37 PM
I imagine they get letters like this everyday from bleeding hearts bullying them into taking anti hunting stances in the media

Does the BC SPCA still condone the hunting of animals by its employees?
By:AAS
Date: 4/6/2009, 5:49 pm
In Response To: Trevor Lautens, North Shore News: It's about lead ripping through flesh, the bird crumpling in flight, the suddenly kneeling deer *LINK* (http://www.animaladvocates.com/watchdog.pl?md=read;id=12799) (AAS)
The lead ripping through the flesh... the wounded animal crawling off to die. How can anyone be sure, when they shoot a helpless creature that manages to run or fly away, that the creature doesn't die in agony?
Doesn't in fact, die in terrible distress? The PCA Act criminalizes the act of causing distress, for domesticated animals but the BC SPCA is both the enforcement body in BC for the PCA Act, and a self-proclaimed animal welfare society. Most major animal welfare societies are opposed to the hunting of animal for "sport". We can't find an anti-hunting statement on the SPCA website, but would be delighted to be told by the SPCA that it has one and where it is.
We would also be delighted to be told by the leading animal welfare society in BC that it no longer condones the hunting of animals by its employees, especially by its long-time senior administrators.

environmental terrorism at its finest...

digger dogger
12-22-2015, 04:01 PM
The SPCA, can suck a male pheasant.

Surrey Boy
12-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Agreed, my wife and I have no heirs and WERE going to leave our entire estate(s) to the SPCA, a few years ago, when I found some VERY disturbing info. about their "anti" policies and now they openly support Raincoast and other such fanatic and false groups.

I will never give them a worn copper penny and will support the changes to BC bear and wolf hunting.

SPCA beat out BCWF?

ROFLMAO!

Apolonius
12-22-2015, 09:03 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0f/0fdf0c5bcb9648e6448762893c7c6d01ca9f74ed4d7642c302 875f2801f564a3.jpgGive her a bottle of shampoo for Christmas

scoutlt1
12-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Give her a bottle of shampoo for Christmas

Or a $10 Hairmasters gift certificate...