PDA

View Full Version : Putting a hurt on a wolf population

cuervosail
12-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Recently this wolf pack showed up on the ice right in front of the house of the most renowned wolf killer in the Northwest Territories.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/wolves%20on%20ice_zpsgn1potoy.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/wolves%20on%20ice_zpsgn1potoy.jpg.html)

cuervosail
12-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Not long afterwards, they looked like this.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/shop%20floor_zpsmau8rghe.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/shop%20floor_zpsmau8rghe.jpg.html)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/woman_zpsmpixvceo.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/woman_zpsmpixvceo.jpg.html)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/man_zpsazqtafvo.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/man_zpsazqtafvo.jpg.html)

With more than 3000 wolf kills in 40+ years, this guy knows what he's doing. Canis lupus doesn't stand a chance if they wander anywhere within miles of his place.

lip_ripper00
12-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Cool!!!!!!

Elkaholic
12-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Now that's how you do it. Good job to all involved. Looks like they got 5-6 of them. How many did he get?

J-F
12-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Good job! We need a few of his clones!

decker9
12-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Well done!!! But, 3000 wolves? Tough to fathom. 300 maybe? Busy night in the skinnin shed, cheers.

Coachman
12-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Nice work.

tuner
12-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Impressive haul, bad day for that pack.

gmachine19
12-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Beautiful fur!

cuervosail
12-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Believe me, this guy is a professional. It's how he makes his living. I have seen some fur sales receipt totals from his wolf and wolverine kills. Some years, he's had several hundred wolf kills.

cuervosail
12-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Now that's how you do it. Good job to all involved. Looks like they got 5-6 of them. How many did he get?

He got them all.

Gateholio
12-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Wonder if he used the Mini 14 for all of them? :)

steveo
12-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Wow, he got them all, it must have been like the O.K corral. He would have to average 75 wolves a year which is believable and impressive year after year. We need him contributing on HBC to learn his tricks.

Dash
12-15-2015, 07:47 PM
As someone who is new, naive and slightly stupid, I feel I'm opening myself up to ridicule here but can someone with patience explain to me what the biggest attraction or purpose is for killing wolves? Is it fur? Are they that much of a nuisance? Is it the competition of game? Hunters seem to hate them so much. I'm really open minded and curious. I'm a very new hunter (first season) and just looking to learn a little more. I used to be against this sort of thing. Not anymore but Im stilling trying to understand. Thanks guys. Cool pictures though.. Don't mean to hijack the thread

panhead
12-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Reminds me of an Italian woman I once witnessed ... who looked into a barn with a bunch of skinned out critters hanging on hooks ... and said ..."Oh my."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She was only a fisherman's daughter but when she saw my rod she reeled.

Gateholio
12-15-2015, 08:09 PM
As someone who is new, naive and slightly stupid, I feel I'm opening myself up to ridicule here but can someone with patience explain to me what the biggest attraction or purpose is for killing wolves? Is it fur? Are they that much of a nuisance? Is it the competition of game? Hunters seem to hate them so much. I'm really open minded and curious. I'm a very new hunter (first season) and just looking to learn a little more. I used to be against this sort of thing. Not anymore but Im stilling trying to understand. Thanks guys. Cool pictures though.. Don't mean to hijack the thread

I wouldn't say that hunters hate wolves as much as they prefer that they aren't around, eating all the ungulates that we like to hunt.

As for hunting them, they are very challenging to hunt and for the average hunter, getting a wolf is quite an accomplishment. Obviously they are fur bearers and their pelts have value as well.

From a conservation standpoint, hunters could shoot every wolf they see and it won't be detrimental to the wolf population.

Fred1
12-15-2015, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't say that hunters hate wolves as much as they prefer that they aren't around, eating all the ungulates that we like to hunt.

As for hunting them, they are very challenging to hunt and for the average hunter, getting a wolf is quite an accomplishment. Obviously they are fur bearers and their pelts have value as well.

From a conservation standpoint, hunters could shoot every wolf they see and it won't be detrimental to the wolf population.

BINGO! Well put.

tuner
12-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Recently read an article on how wolf packs in Manitoba around Hudson Bay have learned to hunt polar bear cubs. The Sierra club and their ilk seem to have a real dilemma on their hands, who is more worthy of their benediction the wolf or the polar bear? Dash,conservation is the reason most hunters come across as wolf "haters", just like any imbalance in nature, it is detrimental to an eco system, hunters just want their over abundance reduced to a more sustainable number, allowing spicies that are hurting because of predation to rebound. ( like mule deer, moose, and caribou)

cuervosail
12-15-2015, 08:53 PM

It's quite likely that a pack like this killed a caribou a day (on average). That's a lot of caribou over the course of a year by one pack. When you start adding up those kinds of numbers and consider the loss of future growth of a herd (whenever females are killed, the future herd numbers are impacted), it's no wonder that caribou herds all over North American are at low numbers never seen before.

cuervosail
12-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Wow, he got them all, it must have been like the O.K corral. He would have to average 75 wolves a year which is believable and impressive year after year. We need him contributing on HBC to learn his tricks.

His harvest numbers have dropped off over recent years because there aren't as many caribou wandering around where he lives and consequently fewer wolves following them.

IslandBC
12-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Wow quite the hall ! Beautiful animal

OutWest
12-15-2015, 09:05 PM
That's how you get it done.

A bit of inspiration for many HBCer's sitting on the sidelines! Nice work.

HarryToolips
12-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Believe me, this guy is a professional. It's how he makes his living. I have seen some fur sales receipt totals from his wolf and wolverine kills. Some years, he's had several hundred wolf kills.
Wow! Impressive!

finngun
12-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Lovely work..i,m just dreaming about that kind of hunt..what cal. Gun real big doggy hunter is shooting..?not too big hole i guess?
F g

Ohwildwon
12-15-2015, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=cuervosail;1725297]Not long afterwards, they looked like this.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/shop%20floor_zpsmau8rghe.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/shop%20floor_zpsmau8rghe.jpg.html)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/woman_zpsmpixvceo.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/woman_zpsmpixvceo.jpg.html)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/man_zpsazqtafvo.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/man_zpsazqtafvo.jpg.html)

Any one have an educated guess on how much this wolf might weigh?

Drillbit
12-16-2015, 12:02 AM
^Tough to tell weight by those photos. The black one looks pretty short.

My biggest one was a 7'2" lone male and weighted in skinny at 128#'s.

Impressive to hear/see. Good for that guy!
The best BC guy I know gets around 10 a year (hunting, I know a few trappers that do better), to get over 100 a year, wow. Good, skilled hunter and lots of wolves.

Mini14 is all you need! Volume trumps when the SHTF!!

Sinperama
12-16-2015, 02:00 AM
i'm jealous.

should bring me along next time. 😢

ruger#1
12-16-2015, 03:00 AM
Send the pictures to Mileys Facebook page.:lol:

604Stalker
12-16-2015, 06:32 AM
I still think wolf sympathizers need to get in a kennel with a few of them... Good on buddy for tipping a few ... Now if only he would come to region 3 and 8 and do the same

LBM
12-16-2015, 07:30 AM
He got them all.

Can you say how he got them all, chase them with a skidoo on the lake, from a plane, shot off his porch.
If he is renowned why blur the pictures out tell people more about his techniques on how he gets so many
wolves, are they shot, trapped, poisoned.

Gateholio
12-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Can you say how he got them all, chase them with a skidoo on the lake, from a plane, shot off his porch.
If he is renowned why blur the pictures out tell people more about his techniques on how he gets so many

YAWN

Typical post from LBM. Always trying to find something wrong. Maybe their faces are blurred simply for privacy reasons? Lers see some of YOUR pics, please.

tuner
12-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Have you ever read some of the vitriol written on anti-wolf hunting/cull websites?

wrenchhead
12-16-2015, 09:22 AM
'Smoke a pack a day' that is quite something! Guy must make a pretty good living with athat much fur, an no overhead hunting in the backyard. I like the bloody mop! Must be an all day deal to process all them.
good on him

Downtown
12-16-2015, 09:42 AM

With more than 3000 wolf kills in 40+ years, this guy knows what he's doing. Canis lupus doesn't stand a chance if they wander anywhere within miles of his place.

Sorry Guys, but I don't believe this is possible. Not in BC, Yukon or NWT. Have had good Luck myself when I was gung ho on them and knew a few outstanding "Wolvers" but nothing of this sort, not even close. Taking a whole Pack out is on very rare occasions possible but 3000 Wolves in 40 years not so much.

Cheers

TARCHER
12-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Excellent work, great shooting. Does the govt offer a bounty?

steveo
12-16-2015, 10:24 AM
'Smoke a pack a day' that is quite something! Guy must make a pretty good living with athat much fur, an no overhead hunting in the backyard. I like the bloody mop! Must be an all day deal to process all them.
good on him
Wolves are a ton of work and he would only get a couple done a day, that is why his wife is helping or at least why he appreciates his wife helping.

kevan
12-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Excellent thread despite the critics, Thanks Cuervosail.
I have only ever killed one wolf and that was in 1992, but when I farmed back in the '60s and '70s we had an endless amount Coyote in the area mainly because of two very large sheep ranches.
It helped to break up the monotony of a long cold winter and kept the loading bench busy..

Vladimir Poutine
12-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Unlike the guy who needs some sleep, I'm simply glad he got them all. I would imagine he uses all methods that are legal.

Xenomorph
12-16-2015, 12:31 PM
That's insane. Good for him! If he really did those numbers in the past decades ...that's just wow!

skibum
12-16-2015, 12:41 PM
First nice work! -

I have a question - wolves are really smart, why would they congregate like that in the open in the daylight (dusk -- whatever). They have a kill around there?

Sounds like they may of had a little hunting pressure on them?

Timbow
12-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Thanks for posting including the pictures. I once knew of a trapper who lived on the peace arm and he had some amazing stories of wolves and bears.

This guy is the Wilt Chamberlain of wolves! I hope he nails another 3000.

dwayne26
12-16-2015, 01:14 PM
I love the pictures. Very different way of life way up north. I have been looking at the stuff in the back ground as well. Love the gun hanging on wall by the door.(Protection) The outside thermometer looks like its very cold out that day. The old weight lifting set to keep the biceps looking good. All the necessities for the cold dark days of winter as well. I think his wife looks like "Red"-the main cook in the prison show "Orange is the new black". The last comment is not meant as an insult because I find "Red"to be very attractive. I did not notice the bloody mop till someone else pointed it out.
Great looking wolves.
Thanks for the pictures.

Stormy
12-16-2015, 01:29 PM
That's a pile of dead / Moose /Elk/ Caribou/ Deer - saved right there!

Well done that man, Id happily buy him a beer if we ever met.

steveo
12-16-2015, 01:36 PM
First nice work! -

I have a question - wolves are really smart, why would they congregate like that in the open in the daylight (dusk -- whatever). They have a kill around there?

Sometimes they will check out fish holes where people have been fishing, looking for beaver/muskrats popping through the ice ( they are very hard on beaver populations ) and since they are a predator with sight being their main sense it is a good spot to see a long ways and catch something moving out on the ice.

Caribou_lou
12-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Thumbs up Buddeh! That's what I like to see!

Dash
12-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks to those who took the time to answer some of my questions :) This is a very interesting thread.

cuervosail
12-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Excellent work, great shooting. Does the govt offer a bounty?

The government pays $800 up front. The hides are sent off to a fur auction and if they sell for more than $800, he gets more money later.

cuervosail
12-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Unlike the guy who needs some sleep, I'm simply glad he got them all. I would imagine he uses all methods that are legal.

Yes, his methods are completely legal. He primarily uses a rifle and a snowmobile. Some trapping.

cuervosail
12-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Sometimes they will check out fish holes where people have been fishing, looking for beaver/muskrats popping through the ice ( they are very hard on beaver populations ) and since they are a predator with sight being their main sense it is a good spot to see a long ways and catch something moving out on the ice.

No hunting pressure on these animals. They live in an isolated location - a LONG way from civilization and with a relatively slow freeze-up people are not moving around on the land very much.

Vladimir Poutine
12-16-2015, 04:37 PM
First nice work! -

The only time I was able to get one was just after we had done some moose calling. Right into the open they came. A fellow suggested that because they are top dog, especially in winter, unlike a coyote, that knows it isn't, they will simply rush into a situation where there may be a food source. I am no wolf expert but it could make some sense.

Gateholio
12-16-2015, 10:55 PM
It's great to see that there are some men and women that still live beyond the bounds of civilization....That Canada still has those people that live past the frontier. It's not all log cabins and igloos anymore, but those wolf hunting folks use some form of alternate electricity and they obviously embrace their remote lifestyle. I commend them on their life, it's harder than ever nowadays to actually live remotely, as everything seems to keep sucking us in.

I built my house and went for years without electricity and phone as they werent' available, now I have sat TV and sat WIFI. Hard to imagine going back to the old days when we would fire up the genny on Friday night to watch a video. :)

MB_Boy
12-17-2015, 12:29 AM
The government pays $800 up front. The hides are sent off to a fur auction and if they sell for more than $800, he gets more money later.

Wow! That's $7200 sitting out on the ice in front of him in the first pic!!! 8-)

LBM
12-17-2015, 10:15 AM
YAWN

Typical post from LBM. Always trying to find something wrong. Maybe their faces are blurred simply for privacy reasons? Lers see some of YOUR pics, please.

Not sure what your problem is and why you make false accusations maybe your insecuritys or lack of knowledge on things. Where am I trying to find any thing wrong.
The questions were for the OP not you. Why blur his face if he is renowned, I would like to no more about the guy and his techniques. You can go on various trapping /hunting sites and see pictures of wolves that are run down and shot off of skidoos. Wolves are shot from the air with the use of planes and helicopters and some areas still use poison. A guy that has been claimed to have killed 3000 must have some good techniques so why not share some. People on this site continually ask how to hunt wolves so any info may help. If he is using any of the 3 methods mentioned then no they are not really of help here, but may be totally legal were he is. When you see a picture of 9 wolves on the ice and its said he got them all would be interesting to no how, if he shot them off his porch and was able to get them all it is quit some feat. If done right large numbers from a pack can be trapped as well so that is a possablity as well.
Thanks to the OP if he wishes to answer any thing.

cuervosail
12-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Not sure what your problem is and why you make false accusations maybe your insecuritys or lack of knowledge on things. Where am I trying to find any thing wrong.
The questions were for the OP not you. Why blur his face if he is renowned, I would like to no more about the guy and his techniques. You can go on various trapping /hunting sites and see pictures of wolves that are run down and shot off of skidoos. Wolves are shot from the air with the use of planes and helicopters and some areas still use poison. A guy that has been claimed to have killed 3000 must have some good techniques so why not share some. People on this site continually ask how to hunt wolves so any info may help. If he is using any of the 3 methods mentioned then no they are not really of help here, but may be totally legal were he is. When you see a picture of 9 wolves on the ice and its said he got them all would be interesting to no how, if he shot them off his porch and was able to get them all it is quit some feat. If done right large numbers from a pack can be trapped as well so that is a possablity as well.
Thanks to the OP if he wishes to answer any thing.

The faces were blurred for privacy reasons. As mentioned earlier, they were shot with snowmobile and rifle before they were able to get to the edge of the lake and disappear in the trees. It works great where he is (and is completely legal).

Phreddy
12-18-2015, 08:12 PM
It's nice to see so many "good wolves".

Chopper
12-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Makes me sad to see them getting culled like that ... amazing animal. Having said that ... we need the balance right now. Good Job , That's a nice pull.

Looks like they are eating well ....

cuervosail
12-30-2015, 10:41 PM
Today's efforts ...

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/wolves_zpsuxde3gfp.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/wolves_zpsuxde3gfp.jpg.html)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/wolves-2_zpsbwz4tun6.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/wolves-2_zpsbwz4tun6.jpg.html)

wideopenthrottle
12-30-2015, 10:55 PM
wow..i like the white one..does it get the most $ or maybe the black ones? cool

Moose63
12-30-2015, 11:39 PM
Proguide66 Who?

TARCHER
12-30-2015, 11:47 PM
Nice. Never seen all white wolves before. Great job

cuervosail
12-31-2015, 12:23 PM
And a wolverine that's almost as big as one of those Smart cars.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/wolverine_zpscmchoeso.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/wolverine_zpscmchoeso.jpg.html)

M.Dean
12-31-2015, 01:02 PM
First nice work! -

Sounds like they may of had a little hunting pressure on them? I've got some pic's, somewhere on this computer, of a bunch of coyotes sitting in a field just down from us. I think there was 9 or 10, maybe even 11 all watching a mulie doe pretending she was wounded, I guess that's how they protect there fawns, witch have zero scent for a while after there born, it's a kind of protection thing to keep them from being eaten. With this pack of wolves, who knows why there all packed up on the ice, maybe a big kill near by, or a group of moose wintering close by, anyone's guess. It's nice to see they'll all be keeping the Eskimo's nice and warm when there hides are made into coats and gloves! I'm not sure if that's a Mini 14 or Mini 30 he's got hanging up, if that's what he used to kill all the wolves, I can believe it. I know my Mini 14's one of the fastest Semi Auto Rifles made, and in the right hands that rifle can be very, very deadly! Keep up the good work!

tracker
01-01-2016, 08:57 AM
I would guess the wife knows how to shoot wolves too !!

MOWITCH SLAYER
01-01-2016, 04:08 PM
would like to shake the man's hand and buy him a beer