PDA

View Full Version : Bear dog ???

steepNdeep
05-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, I finally took my dog "Luna" out to meet her first bruin a few nights ago. I got her ~ 2 months ago and she was already 3 years old. I've been working with her in the forests around home and she loves to track game. She gets on a scent and works the trail like a blood hound, but silently, until she gets close to it. She's lives to hunt and has flushed grouse, squirrels, mice, deer... The hardest part is calling her back once she's onto something, but we've got that pretty well sorted out...:roll: She's a mellow dog, except around protecting her turf from other dogs and animals. She's got no fear of other animals and will stand up to a dog twice her size... I was curious to see what she'd do around a bear...

We're pretty high in elevation and the bears are just coming out close to home. I took her down in the valley and found a bear in a area that I know well. I took her down on a leash to within ~40 yards and then let her off. There was knoll between us and the bear and we were up wind, so she had no idea the bear was there. She'd never seen a bear before, and she's used to most things running instantly, so it took her a bit to figure it out...

Here's the vid (it's shaky as hell, but you get the idea...): http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/steepNdeep/?action=view&current=luna-1st-bear.flv

Here's a couple images that I pulled off the vid...
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/steepNdeep/luna-1st-bear-1.jpg

I helped her get the bear moving and then her instincts kicked in... She chased the bear for ~ 200 m and then came back to me. I asked her where the bear went and encouraged her to get on it again ... and she ripped off down the trail and in 5 min. had the bear at bay. By the time I dragged my a$$ for 20 min. on the stairmaster... they were on the move again... I heard her bay it up one more time, but I didn't have the energy to make it up the mountain and it was getting late. I called her off and she came down ~5 min. later... Luna was a natural! We're both psyched to get out there again! 8)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/steepNdeep/luna-1st-bear-4.jpg

Elkhound
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Hey Awesome you finally got your elkhound........my elkhound loves to keep bears at bay too. Glad you finally picked one up. I remember you have been wanting one for awhile. Nice choice. Their natural instinct is unbelievable eh?
I have been leaving my boy at home lately cause he has not been well. Still not sure how long he has.....but he has no energy for the bears.

good job on getting Luna out there. Two thumbs up from me.

But Get a tripod eh? LMAO

steepNdeep
05-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Hey Elkhound, I actually started to write you a PM and then got busy at work... :rolleyes: Yeah, I've been waiting for a few years to get a dog and now the house from hell is finally finished and we're living on the acreage... I've been to see breeders in Alberta and Vancouver and finally got her from Vigeland in Chilliwack. I wanted an instant bear dog for my kid, as we had several bears around the yard - including a young grizz and a black that climbed in through the window of my painters truck and was sitting in his front seat chewing on his air freshener when he went out for lunch... :lol:

Luna is awesome with my 4 year old son and as you can see, I think she'll dig her new "job"!!! How old is your guy now? I plan to get a male from scratch next spring and then I'll have a team to chase tail with... Congrats on your wife's bear and hunter in the making!!! Are you gonna pop a BRUTE again this year?

Elkhound
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Loki is 10yrs old now. And I got him from Vigeland as well. They are the best around. I have a book from Norway and alot of his elkhounds are either in it or are direct stock from the dogs in the book. No inbreeding going on there for sure. Good choice in breeder.

Right from day one Loki has been good with bears.....but does not like the sound of the rifle.:lol: And he has been dynamite with all the kids

Definitely gonna take a bear this year.....hoping to take one with the bow...it will be my first game animal with one. So maybe a little 4fter is the best:lol: Just to make sure it doesn't pull out the arrow and beat me with it.

mapguy
05-16-2007, 07:20 AM
who was doing all the barking hehehehe