PDA

View Full Version : Wild Boar

Edge
12-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Now that the deer season is over I'm thinkin something else to kill might be nice to plan for. I see there have been some sightings/kills of feral hogs in BC and I know that everywhere else they are considered a menace. I also hear the BC allows killing anytiime of these fast multiplying menaces.
Anyone have any areas that are target rich for these critters or info etc.? I would like to hear from you.

skibum
12-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Feral hogs running wild in numbers -- mostly rumors, I don't believe them.

But some say rumors based in truth.

Edge
12-14-2015, 11:38 AM

sometimes Truth is stranger than fiction......

Rob Chipman
12-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Every year this comes up. I almost can't wait for it to be true, or at least true enough that it's practical to hunt them. Apparently they are in Saskatchewan in large enough numbers to be a problem.

Edge
12-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Every year this comes up. I almost can't wait for it to be true, or at least true enough that it's practical to hunt them. Apparently they are in Saskatchewan in large enough numbers to be a problem.

I hear they're also a prob. in Alberta..

www.wildboarcanada.ca has them sighted and kilt just north of Enderby....can anyone verify or dispute this?

Barracuda
12-14-2015, 02:09 PM
ever been to roosters on cheap drink night???

Sofa King
12-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Now that the deer season is over I'm thinkin something else to kill might be nice to plan for. I see there have been some sightings/kills of feral hogs in BC and I know that everywhere else they are considered a menace. I also hear the BC allows killing anytiime of these fast multiplying menaces.
Anyone have any areas that are target rich for these critters or info etc.? I would like to hear from you.

if that existed, we'd all be there stocking up on bacon.
don't believe the rumours, sure they exist, but finding one will be very hard.

Ltbullken
12-14-2015, 04:06 PM

Always a smidgen of truth to a rumour?

Drillbit
12-14-2015, 04:17 PM

Yes, yes I have. BuckFifty highball night used to always be good for a gongshow there!

RossP
12-14-2015, 04:18 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5604&stc=1This is one we ran across in Seprember on our way to Kimberly to pick up a gun, wish I had a gun with me when we saw this nice sow, just east of Salmo.

scotty30-06
12-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Couple years back they were some on the back side of Harrison Lake....a friend's dad got one when he was black bear hunting in t spring....said it was in a group of 5.....not sure and haven't heard anything about them since

tadpole
12-14-2015, 10:13 PM
I killed one last year of Trinity Road above Lumby. Bugger was so heavy I had to cut it in half to just be able to drag and load it up. Nog made it in to sausages.

Ambush
12-14-2015, 10:30 PM

Haha! Not talking about the Clive Roosters are you? Top notch, that one.

Sharpish
12-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Wild boar or feral pigs? I mean "feral" domesticated pigs or "feral" European boar. Both were farmed and then escaped. That would be amazing to come across one of those guys. Bacon, hams, sausage, tenderloins

Dannybuoy
12-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Wild boar or feral pigs? I mean "feral" domesticated pigs or "feral" European boar. Both were farmed and then escaped. That would be amazing to come across one of those guys. Bacon, hams, sausage, tenderloins
There is a wild pig farm in the area of the # 12 post (Lumby) so its a safe bet that it was an escapee if the tadpole was local he would know that .... I guess they are fair game if he cant keep them penned up though .....?

604ksmith
12-14-2015, 11:06 PM
I ran into a Sasquatch once. He told me there were a few wild boars around, but that they were harder to find than he was...

Edge
12-15-2015, 07:13 AM
I also saw "free range" pig farm in the Hudson HOpe area back in the late 80's. It seemed to me that that wire fencing wasn't enough to hold em in but never been back to check

okas
12-15-2015, 12:36 PM
I also saw "free range" pig farm in the Hudson HOpe area back in the late 80's. It seemed to me that that wire fencing wasn't enough to hold em in but never been back to check
yes,, there was lots got out 7-35 area yes we shoot two um um . 2 moose and two pigs perfect . i used to go back to sask. late season deer hunt those ones taste the best

Edge
12-15-2015, 12:48 PM
yes,, there was lots got out 7-35 area yes we shoot two um um . 2 moose and two pigs perfect . i used to go back to sask. late season deer hunt those ones taste the best

do you need a Sask hunting licence to shoot hogs there?

hparrott
12-16-2015, 01:30 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5604&stc=1This is one we ran across in Seprember on our way to Kimberly to pick up a gun, wish I had a gun with me when we saw this nice sow, just east of Salmo.

Ha, that's funny. I saw one and pretty sure it was the same bore. It was on the 8th of Sept. just leaving Salmo. Got a pic on my phone and if he wasn't on the main road I would have taken him for sure

okas
12-16-2015, 04:51 PM
do you need a Sask hunting licence to shoot hogs there?
we had the sask. two deer permit and the hogs were good to go :smile:
they gov. was planning on a no transport game into other provinces like sask. to bc both ways ?
i will be looking into this as want to go again

shed-hunter1
12-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Ha, that's funny. I saw one and pretty sure it was the same bore. It was on the 8th of Sept. just leaving Salmo. Got a pic on my phone and if he wasn't on the main road I would have taken him for sure

according to some guys on this site its okay to shoot on a main rd aka Kelly lake rd thread