PDA

View Full Version : Rifle / Gun Safe

Arctic Lake
12-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Hi Fellas

I need to buy a Rifle/Gun Safe . I have seen ones that have those electronic, entry pads not sure of those. Maybe combination lock is better. I'm wondering how much money to spend as to compared what the firearms are worth .If you have any pictures of the ones you have that would be appreciated. Any links to reviews would be helpful .Also best place to buy in the Lowermainland.
Many Thanks
Arctic Lake

B.C.Boy(100%)
12-14-2015, 10:12 AM
I used a couple of Military lockers for a while, then upgraded to a safe I picked up at Costco for around $350-400 If I remember that right, it was on sale then, I see they are asking $730 these days at regular price.

http://www.costco.ca/First-Alert%C2%AE-Executive-Safe-220-L-(7.7-cu-ft).product.10342938.html

With 14 guns in it is tight, maybe if they were all small 22's they would fit better.
I also added more fire board to the inside to increase the fire rating some.
I have not had an issue with the electronic key pad, all has been grand for the last five or six year or so, just change the batteries when it tells you they are low, and even if they go dead there is a back up key to by pass the key pad, so no real worry what so ever.
It works, and I'm sure there are better out there, it's what fit my budget at the time.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Do not buy a stack-on!

Manglinmike
12-14-2015, 10:31 AM
I bought the Costco safe and the door mecinism came apart so I had to bust it off the floor and cut the bottom out with an angle grinder to get my guns out. Then I had to repair the concrete that got f ed up from busting out the concede inserts, just my two bits but I would say get a good one.

ruger#1
12-14-2015, 10:38 AM
John Deere sells gun safes. You can also bring them across the line. From Costco

B.C.Boy(100%)
12-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I bought the Costco safe and the door mecinism came apart so I had to bust it off the floor and cut the bottom out with an angle grinder to get my guns out. Then I had to repair the concrete that got f ed up from busting out the concede inserts, just my two bits but I would say get a good one.

Costco sells more than just one model and brand of safe, which model/brand did you have the trouble with?

ACB
12-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Do not buy a stack-on!
What is your problem with Stack-On? Bad experience?

Daybreak
12-17-2015, 10:43 AM
SSS had issues getting into his Stack On and they provided no customer support. Here's a link to the info he posted.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?113284-Gun-Safe-Won-t-Open&highlight=locksmith

12-17-2015, 11:25 AM
I bought a Fort Knox. Not cheap, but it would keep the average smash and grabber away from my guns.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc215/goatcamp/unnamed_zpsdmkzdvim.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/goatcamp/media/unnamed_zpsdmkzdvim.jpg.html)

srupp
12-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Hmm Google? .gun safes..combo versus electronic..seems lots? Issues potential problems with electronic..i battery for electronics calves..etc
Seen some heavy nice quality at Cabelas in Washington STATE USA
srupp

ACB
12-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Hmm Google? .gun safes..combo versus electronic..seems lots? Issues potential problems with electronic..i battery for electronics calves..etc
Seen some heavy nice quality at Cabelas in Washington STATE USA
srupp
I have a Stack- On Elite 24 gun electronic and if the battery packs it they have a back up key that will unlock it, but you have to have a secure location for the key.Got it on sale at Cambodia Tire at 40% off. It weighs better part of 400lbs. Takes 2 men and a monkey to move the thing. I have had no problem with the electronic lock.

msharkey
12-21-2015, 07:48 AM
I have two Stack On 8 gun safes with combination locks; They can hold 8 guns each, if you are willing to alternate them butt up/ butt down. They work, aren"t too ugly, but I wouldn't trust anybody with an angle grinder and a couple of zip cut wheels, especially if you install them with their sides exposed. I've got mine side by side, recessed and built into a closet with only the doors exposed.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2015, 10:52 AM
I have two Stack On 8 gun safes with combination locks; They can hold 8 guns each, if you are willing to alternate them butt up/ butt down. They work, aren"t too ugly, but I wouldn't trust anybody with an angle grinder and a couple of zip cut wheels, especially if you install them with their sides exposed. I've got mine side by side, recessed and built into a closet with only the doors exposed.

They have a couple inherent design flaws. Thankfully, mine was not bolted into place yet so the locksmith could drill into the side and pound out the deadbolts....otherwise the zip-cut was coming out.

okas
12-21-2015, 09:31 PM
the doors are the weak part and the out side hinges easy to beef up. As buying them buy weight ? they are bolted down anyway

Sofa King
12-21-2015, 09:47 PM
all yours are way more skookum than anything i have.
i just have a couple 6-gun ones with the key locks.
mine are quite old ones also, and what surprised me was how cheap some of the new models are.
similar style ones i've seen have just the one single keylock in the center of the door.
you can see just with the door closed that the upper and lower corners are terrible weak points.
i could probably pry it open and bend it down with my hands.
can't believe they son't at least have an upper and lower lock.

Hovenator
12-31-2015, 10:18 PM
Just bought a First Alert Protector 14 gun safe from Abby Costco. 399. Is digital but has a key back up. 5 year warranty and it is from Costco which has a very good return policy.
I don't have it downstairs and set up yet but I'll post again once it is in use.

okas
01-01-2016, 12:10 PM
i just took a costco safe in trade on a gun ....As it fits in the motor home where the washer and dryer went . it is the one on sale for like 769.99 or there abouts very good door and lock system . I have a few safes, this one the least$$ All made buy a few companys in China and sold to a outlet where the brand them .

Hovenator
01-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Well, me and a buddy got the Costco safe down my back stairs into the basement today. Used a dolly for most of it and it went quite well.
Thoughts so far on the First Alert Protector, 14 Gun "Executive" safe:
Once we got it unboxed we spent the next 10 minutes trying to open it with the supplied back up keys! Now I'm a fairly mechanical minded fella and my friend is a fantastic mechanic so it's not like we don't have some skills! I thought for sure we were going to have to call the support line on Monday.http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.png
But after some persistent fiddling my friend got it to open. Seems that the key needs to be turned just slightly to the left and then the handle to open needs to be turned to the right. Sounds simple but you have to have just the right touch. Don't know if anyone else's is like this or it is just this one? Anyway, once figured we could open it no problem. Guess if anyone was ever to find my key it is not a given that they would be in the safe right away!
Once we had that figured we got the batteries in it and all was good. The digital part works like a charm. It has a reasonable amount of room in it. Comes with another little lock box inside and a couple of shelves.

So, I'm pretty happy with it for what I paid for it. It will definitely keep my kids out and would give thieves something to work at. If someone works at it for 10 min with and angle grinder and a pry bar to get a 22. and eventually a shotgun then so be it. At least I made it a pain in the ***. I'll see if I still think it's a good deal after a few months of use. Got to say though I think the digital key pad is great. Quick and easy.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1327495-Official-Gun-Safe-Thread/images/smilies/new/rockOn.gif

boblly1
01-03-2016, 05:07 AM
right next door to Costco in naniamo at cabelas they have an abundance of gun safes to choose from you should go check them out if nothing else you will enjoy the decore and the hospitality of the staff

Merch
01-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Did you buy the Fort Knox in Canada or bring it up from down south? Ballpark pricing?

I bought a Fort Knox. Not cheap, but it would keep the average smash and grabber away from my guns.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc215/goatcamp/unnamed_zpsdmkzdvim.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/goatcamp/media/unnamed_zpsdmkzdvim.jpg.html)

Arctic Lake
01-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far fellas ! I was looking at American Security or Cannon. Has anyone bought from Vancouver safe ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

01-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Did you buy the Fort Knox in Canada or bring it up from down south? Ballpark pricing?

I bought from a company in Alberta (Alberta Safe). Delivered with everything was ~$3500.

01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far fellas ! I was looking at American Security or Cannon. Has anyone bought from Vancouver safe ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

I looked at American Security, but some of their lower-end safes are made in China, which I didn't like. That's why I went with Fort Knox.

Leaseman
01-07-2016, 09:48 AM
I went with the 50 rifle Winchester safe....900 pounds IIRC, real high fire rating etc!

Great safe, but as with most, gun number rating is out the window unless all are unscoped and levers!!

Got it from down south....cost more as needed a mover to get it into the house without any damage!!

Would never buy cheap again!!