PDA

View Full Version : Ever called in a wolf?

allan
12-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Have you ever called in a wolf?
Tell me your story, I feel short changed this year as all three of my bowhunting trips were cut short for various reasons.
I need inspiration and tips on wolf hunting.
Im seriously considering buying a good rifle to do some predator hunting this winter and need some tips and stories on wolf experiences. As well as people's opinions on long range shooting.

Looking_4_Jerky
12-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Totally not an expert on hunting wolves. Not even a beginner, in fact! From my understanding of wolf encounters that end up in dead wolves, it's not usually a long-distance game. Some cut-block settings might require shots up to 400yds, but from what I understand, they're just as often closer quarters, as they are generally much more timber oriented than coyotes. Particularly in grassland settings, long shots are the norm for coyotes.

If you want to give yourself a new gun for Xmas, then certainly invest in a long range shooter for dogs, but if you already have a good deer gun and you'd rather not spend the money on a new gun if you don't have to, I'd say you're covered. Just hit the range and get familiar with the 300-500 range characteristics of your gun.

Rackmastr
12-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Yes, I've called in a handful of wolves, haven't sealed the deal on any but have had some great times with it.

I've had wolves in tight under 100 yards in really thick stuff, can be pretty damn exciting.

Gr8 white hunter
12-14-2015, 09:22 AM
I was told that if you get a bitch in heat and tie her to a tree and the wolves will smell her and come in for her.

butcher
12-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Called in several. Cow moose calls, coyote howls, rabbit in distress, wolf howls.

Just like anything else you need to put in time and effort. I've called in nothing hundreds of times.

Backwoods
12-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Yah I've called in quite a few, was luckey enough this august to take my first wolf!! Cut blocks are great but often far shot, same as frozen creeks and rivers they seem to travel in the winter

skibum
12-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Yes, not intentionally, had a pack come into a moose call. Would not use it if targeting wolves though

Always wanted to try dog distress call to see if a pack would target in on eliminating it.

Foxtail
12-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Did you see my post on the how to hunt FB page or something? Lol

Stresd
12-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Yes, not intentionally, had a pack come into a moose call. Would not use it if targeting wolves though

Moose call kept bring wolves down to the opposite shore of the river. Next morning we were leaving so got as close as we could on our side of the river, to where they had been showing themselves. Sure enough a couple cow calls and 3 wolves showed up again, on opposite river bank. We dropped two of the three.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/P1040143_zpskk5zh3vj.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/Stresd/media/P1040143_zpskk5zh3vj.jpg.html)

Glenny
12-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Hunner 1947 (Wayne) has a vid where he called in a whack o wolfs into his camp.

hunter1947
12-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Yes I called in a pack of wolfs 3 years ago using my voice ,,called them in within 10 yards of me..

Glenny
12-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Hey can you post that vid Wayne?

skibum
12-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Moose call kept bring wolves down to the opposite shore of the river. Next morning we were leaving so got as close as we could on our side of the river, to where they had been showing themselves. Sure enough a couple cow calls and 3 wolves showed up again, on opposite river bank. We dropped two of the three.

Those wolves look awesome! I really want a black pelt - Had a chance at one, but the black wolf of the pack was moving too quick around the rocks and trees, so just took the easiest one.

Weatherby Fan
12-14-2015, 11:36 AM
First time my son and I set up our FoxPro electronic caller for coyotes, we used a rabbit in distress for a few minutes then switched to a fawn in distress and out trots a wolf, it kept pacing back and forth trying to get a read on the call, my son tried a shot and missed as it wouldn't hold still for him.

I was quite surprised to see the wolf come out so the callers do work.

TreeStandMan
12-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Last year I called in a pack. I had traveled to my tree stand in my Argo for the afternoon hunt. I usually sit there for about half an hour before I start calling to let everything quiet down, which I did, but as soon as I made my first cow moose in estrus call, I started hearing dog noises—yipping and barking—coming right for me. They totally bought my call, and came in with a lot of noise.

Unfortunately, they came at me from behind the stand, where I don’t have really good shooting lanes. I only managed to lay eyes on one, a big black one, and he was at about 70 yards, but he made me at the same time I made him. I should have snapped the shot, but I thought he’d move more into the clearing and that I’d get a better chance at him and some of his pack mates, which didn’t happen, and the whole pack shut right up and buggered off.

tomahawk
12-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Called in a pack with a moose call, the cow they were chasing came to me first running at full speed, out of breathe and chest heaving heavily. She stayed with me at 9 yards for about 5 mins on the opposite side of me from where she had come from. Then lifted her head, looked back at where she had been and barked and ran like the wind again. I turned around and there were 3 wolves , the largest 11 yds and 2 scruffy and smaller ones 35 yds behind him. Long story short I arrowed the largest dominate male (BC Record book wolf) and shot at the dominate female but she jumped the string from 35 yds. There was at least 5 different wolves in that pack that circled me for close to 20 minutes.

Also have called in several other wolves with howls when I hear them communicating first.

J_T
12-14-2015, 05:14 PM
My sons work in the logging industry in both BC and Alberta. You can 'call' in a wolf by running a feller buncher. In fact the trappers are starting to use the logging operations as bait. Don't leave the machine without your side arm....

I had a wolf follow me in to my treestand this fall while bowhunting. When he moved underneath my tree for the third time while searching for me, I let him have a taste of the broadhead.

Red_Mist
12-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Cow moose call has got them howling for me.

northcoastfun
12-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Interesting to hear how many wolves come into the cow moose call.I guess it should be no surprise as moose is high on their menu list. We were set up in a swamp cow calling in October when a cow moose sneaks in to around 80 yards. Perfect setup if the bull was with her. We didn't get to find out if a bull was around because the bush lit up with Wolves howling within 150 yards.The cow stuck around staring into the bush for a few minutes as the wolves came closer.She finally had enough and took off past us away from the pack. I set up on a moss covered log ,a perfect rest. We howled at the pack and within 30 seconds there were 7 wolves coming out into the swamp at a dead run.They were all fluffed up looking for the intruding wolves .I picked out the largest wolf which was black and when he stopped at 60 yards I dropped him and was able to drop two more before they made it to the bush.

kebes
12-14-2015, 09:16 PM
I had a pack come in to a bull moose call this fall.

A couple years ago i heard a lone one moose hunting and just imitated everything it did. You could tell it was getting pretty annoyed but it never came in.

Foxtail
12-14-2015, 09:18 PM
My sons work in the logging industry in both BC and Alberta. You can 'call' in a wolf by running a feller buncher. In fact the trappers are starting to use the logging operations as bait. Don't leave the machine without your side arm....

I had a wolf follow me in to my treestand this fall while bowhunting. When he moved underneath my tree for the third time while searching for me, I let him have a taste of the broadhead.
Awesome! It is possible BigBoar... Lets get on it!

decker9
12-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Used a fawn in distress hand call for this guy. It takes a day and a bottle of good rye to tell the story, the closest iv ever come to getting my arse chewed off

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/2B1F8B6E-94E5-4C71-8922-6AED3B4BDA03_zpsmf8bdxaz.jpg (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/decker1122/media/2B1F8B6E-94E5-4C71-8922-6AED3B4BDA03_zpsmf8bdxaz.jpg.html)

Rabbit in distress on the E call, came in hot!

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/B2694D85-10CA-4628-946D-F249C9E67CF6-2437-00000B5426D7AEA9_zps915c63b4.jpg (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/decker1122/media/B2694D85-10CA-4628-946D-F249C9E67CF6-2437-00000B5426D7AEA9_zps915c63b4.jpg.html)

And howled these two in.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/augiergoat010-1.jpg (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/decker1122/media/augiergoat010-1.jpg.html)
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/046A45AC-B089-4C05-8A43-CADB90B741F3_zps7rox6t0f.jpg (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/decker1122/media/046A45AC-B089-4C05-8A43-CADB90B741F3_zps7rox6t0f.jpg.html)

Backwoods
12-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Awesome!!! Nice work!! I want to post my wolf but it keeps saying file is to big!! So I re-sized it small as it can go to such poor quality and still won't load because it's to big? I tried it in my comp and phone.

okas
12-15-2015, 12:26 PM
my coon hound gets going and they come running in. Found out me and her howling around the camp fire having a few rum . last time she ended up with a few bites from the little dogs jumped in the side by side and started to bark at me telling me the story . one crazy dogie

todbartell
12-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Called in this female in '03 with a mouth call

I went coyote hunting on Monday morning, left the house at 7:40 and was out of the truck and ready by 8:10. I headed west down an old logging road that seperates 2 woodlots. I walked 1/3 mile or so until I got to a field, where I used my Knight & Hale coyote howler to try and locate some yotes. After a few howls and no responses, other than a curious mulie doe, I headed further west. After another 1/2 mile or so, I set up overlooking a cleared area, 300 yards or so of open ground in front of me to view. I used my K&H Rodent Squeker, and called on and off for 10 minutes, waited another 5, then headed off, with no luck. After another 1/3 mile or so I found a not too bad spot to call, and as I rounded the bend, I spotted something 400 yards or more out, crossing the open field. I thought it might be a deer or a coyote, and looked through my binocs at it, where I then saw it was a either a big coyote or a wolf! So I quickly dropped my pack, got out my mouth diaphragm call out and set up my rifle on the shooting stix, cranking the scope to 9x.

I was pretty sure it was a wolf at this time. It was still 400 yards or so out, and now was trotting towards me. I let out a few squalls with my call, and it stopped and watched my direction for a minute or so, then began to slowly trot my way. It closed to 350 yards or so, then turned to trot into the bush. I was not going to let it just walk away, so I got up and side-stepped 10 yards or so to keep it in view for the moment. I was on the far side of a little rise in the field, and all it could probably see of me was my head (i was wearing my mesh camo facemask). It saw my head, stopped, then all of a sudden started bounding towards me, huge leaps, I could not believe it! It was about 250 yards out when it just turned off and ran into the bush. I called for another 5 or so minutes off and on, then went to go check where it ran into the bush. I was standing around where it left the field, and could not find it's tracks through all the deer and moose tracks already in the old snow. It was now 20 minutes or so since I last saw it. I turn around and see something in the field, I thought it was a coyote at first that had snuck in after hearing my calling. I look through the glass and see it was NOT a coyote, but it was the wolf, right out in the middle of the field! It was on the other side of the hill, so I could just see it's top half of his chest and his head. Range is about 200 yards or so. The wolf had snuck around through the bush and gotten behind me, if I stayed where I was at first, it would of trotted out of the bush 50 yards from me!! I sit down, rifle ready in the stix, and all I can see is it's neck and head, and a little of the upper chest. I hold low on the neck and fire, and the wolf swaps ends and takes off straight away from me.

I run like as fast as I can to a top of a small rise, when I get there, I see the wolf standing 150 yards off, facing me straight on. I sit down, catch my breath for a second or 3, then hold on it's chest and fire. At the shot, the wolf spins around and round, biting itself, then catches it's footing and is off running away. I then proceed to fire 4 more times as it runs broadside/quartering away at ranges from 250-500 yards, the whole time cursing my stupidity on using Sierra MatchKing bullets once again... On shot #2 (300'ish broadside running) i managed to tumble it, but it was up and running again within seconds. It takes it about 40 seconds to 1 minute to go from 150 yards away to 500-600, where it dissapears into the bush. I go back to where I had dropped my pack, etc, then make my way to where I last saw the wolf. I gave it about 30 minutes or so, from when I last saw it to when I started after it. It had began to snow lightly, and I did not want to lose the trail. I found it's tracks leaving the field, and a couple drops of blood, not too much. I get on the trail, and am in the bush maybe 10 or 15 yards when I find a spot where the wolf had sat down in the snow. I look up and whoa , the wolf IS RIGHT THERE, 15 feet away, laying under a little spruce tree. I am a little suprised, and take 2 steps back. i am now thinking to myself, "are you alive" and side step a foot or 2, and it's eyes follow me. So now I am like "no more messing around", and I cranked it in the brain box. All is done now...

She’s about 80 lbs, 5’4” from nose to tip of tail. Gonna make a shoulder mount of her, go with my black one I got in 2000 while hunting caribou. I think shot #1 may of grazed the top of the hill and gone astray.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/18672_215557952991_2140886_n.jpg?oh=56dd08785c2a77 9e9842de3e261a3bba&oe=5710A840

And this male in '06

I got a phonecall this morning from Boonerbuck, who greeted me with squeelching screams of rabbit in distress calls from his freshly arrived FoxPro FX3. As soon as I got off the phone with him I jumped in my pickup and headed down to the post office. I turned the key in my PO Box and slooowly peeked behind the door. There it was, a parcel pickup notification!!

I got home and got my new FX3 full of batteries. I had some lunch then hit the road around 2pm, heading to a spot Ive been to a few times this winter already.

I exited my truck, geared up, and headed to a spot I thought might be a good spot for a calling stand. I set my FX3 up 100 yards upwind of me, hit the remote, and started calling.

After 20 minutes on stand, nothing showing, I went silent and waited a bit more and then packed up the FX3 and headed a half KM to my next stand.

I set up with my back along a fencepost looking over a small field bordered on 2 sides by a brushy swamp, and the other 2 sides bush. The caller was 100 yards out in the field on a small rise. I started with a female invitation howl and then after a few minutes of silence I went to the snowshoe distress. Nothing but a mulie doe came out to investigate the noise.

I was winding down this stand after 15 minutes or so, and tried a few more howls, this time a male interrogation bark/howl, along with the rabbit being shredded by coyote sound. I switched to a fairly quiet rodent in distress sound to slow the pace down and wait for another 5 minutes before packing up and leavng. A few minutes after starting the rodent in distress I noticed something in the corner of my eye, 60 yards upwind along the field edge.

Wow that is one big coyote I thought. There he was, standing on the edge of the field looking towards my FX3. He began to trot out into the field heading for the caller when I tried to mute my remote, but didnt manage to shut it up. I was trying to make the damn thing stop so he would stop and offer me a standing shot! Well he stopped at 30 yards from the caller, and I got my rifle on him, set up rock solid in my Steady Stix. One quick glance through the scope made me think that it looked like a wolf, but the crack of the 223 and the whomp of the Ballistic Tip hitting canine snapped my train of thought. 75 yard shot, broadside, he starts into the death spin, biting at himself. Three of four spins and he was on the ground, a few kicks later and he was done for good.

I switched my caller on loud with the wounded coyote sound, but after a couple minutes nothing showed so I headed towards the fallen dog. As I got closer to it I could see it was indeed a wolf! The feet were a dead giveaway from 15 yards away.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_19_06_007.jpg

Ride
12-15-2015, 03:14 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/S5000105.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/38boggers/media/S5000105.jpg.html)

Called in this one with a deer stopper call one fall a number of years ago. This one i got, the other 10 or so with it got away................

decker9
12-15-2015, 03:46 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/S5000105.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/38boggers/media/S5000105.jpg.html)

Called in this one with a deer stopper call one fall a number of years ago. This one i got, the other 10 or so with it got away................

Deer stopper, that's what I used on the wolf in my first pic (dident seem to post propper). Sounds a lot like my experience. There were 14 in this pack, I seen them about 500 yards away on a lake, not 2 blows on that deer stopper and had 14 honing in fast. that damn squeaker made them go ape chit, literally!!

hunter1947
12-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Here is one of my wolf call in using my voice was in the early morning hours still dark when I first started calling the pack in................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_BOhOnuUU I was all by myself was a cool experience I must say..

cash12
12-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Good video

Ride
12-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Deer stopper, that's what I used on the wolf in my first pic (dident seem to post propper). Sounds a lot like my experience. There were 14 in this pack, I seen them about 500 yards away on a lake, not 2 blows on that deer stopper and had 14 honing in fast. that damn squeaker made them go ape chit, literally!!

Yep. Walked into one of my spots and was seeing literally nothing. All of a sudden the pack started howling and barking a distance aways and i thought what the hell i'll give the call a blow. Immediately all noise stopped and the bush went dead silent. roughly 5 minutes later the wolves started appearing in the timber. Once i shot the first one they were running everywhere. Unfortunately it all went down in a timber stand or i probably would of had a few more.

swampthing
12-17-2015, 09:11 AM
My son Bib Buck 155 and I were having a great hunt. We had an elk and a moose hanging in camp and were heading up above treeline for caribou on our last day of the hunt. We spotted this while we were just below treeline
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/DSCN1829_zps8cylf1ky.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/DSCN1829_zps8cylf1ky.jpg.html)
A whole herd o wolves on the skyline. I told my son we would set up and try to call them in. We got into a sitting position and layed out spare ammo next to us. I gave a challenge bark. We counted 18 wolves running down the mountain towards us!

swampthing
12-17-2015, 09:21 AM
They were about 1km away from us and disappeared into the trees down the mountain. It was only minutes before we spotted wolves running through the tall willows about 400m away. They were almost downwind so I told big buck to get ready and let out a bark. His 243 went off when they stopped followed by my 325. Wolves exploded everywhere and they were hard to see running in the tall willows. We each got 4-6 shots off in every direction. My son knocked down 2 and I managed 1. If the country had of been more open we would of had a better chance at more.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/DSCN1834_zpsgjxm0rgg.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/DSCN1834_zpsgjxm0rgg.jpg.html)
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/DSCN1836_zpswvvegvy7.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/DSCN1836_zpswvvegvy7.jpg.html)

swampthing
12-17-2015, 09:25 AM
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/DSCN1832_zpskyuxzrfs.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/DSCN1832_zpskyuxzrfs.jpg.html)
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/DSCN1838_zpstdll1oqh.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/DSCN1838_zpstdll1oqh.jpg.html)
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/DSCN1846_zps0punha2w.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/DSCN1846_zps0punha2w.jpg.html)

Husky7mm
12-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Swampthing, I love it, great adventure. Your boy is lucky to have a mentor like you!! Congratulations!

Husky7mm
12-17-2015, 11:58 AM
And way to go bib buck 155, showing up Dad!

decker9
12-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Nothin cooler then father/son tag team'n a pack of wolves! Well done fellas!!

swampthing
12-17-2015, 06:25 PM
When the shootin was done, my son looked at me and said that was the most exciting thing he had ever done in his life. Later that night in camp, he said it was scary having 18 wolves running down the mountain towards you. I told him not to worry as we had the guns!! I was a blast! Glad I got to share it with my boy.

Camp Cook
12-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Very cool pics/experience this is what I want to get my boy doing with me... :)

guntech
12-20-2015, 08:23 AM
We were calling moose and had 5 wolves come in at a dead run... at first we could hear them in the distance yapping and howling at each call as they gathered and got organized... then no sound at all...
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/wolfteeth-0.jpg

Backwoods
12-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Awesome pics!!!! Love it!! Great storey swampthing & big buck!!! Well done! Only wolf I got I called in with a howl!! Got him this sept!! Still trying to figure how to post a pic