PDA

View Full Version : the elussive 7 footers?

elkguide
05-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Went out the last couple days to try and find a big bear ( 7 foot or better)..... The wife and I saw 19 bears in 2 days and 4 of them were good bears. 2 chocolates and a cinnamon and a monster black. All four were in a 4 mile radius. The Cinnamon was close to 6'6''....the first choc. we saw was around 6'6'' and then today I found the grand master of Black bears.......in a field that is across a raging river ( figure a 3 km hike to him) we saw a huge brown that took my breath away.....not many people get the chance to see a black bear over 7 feet in length. This bear is at least 7 feet ( more than likely bigger) and what a coat. ( this was at about 2 pm).....we spent the next 3 hours trying to figure out how to get to him.....when we did get there he was gone. So tonight we went back to spot the meadow and low and behold there he is but wait.....it is another bear, a black with a perfect white circle on his chest....this bear was also a hog ( at least 7 feet).......we have decided that all other bears mean nothing....our spring season is devoted to these two bears.my question is how many of you see bears that go over 7 feet. ( we videoed the brown and after further review we think he is a 7 1/2 bear).?

todbartell
05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
If you judge bears like Marc, a 7 footer is around every bend :lol:

Kirby
05-14-2007, 10:37 PM
hmmm, I think alot of guys see a 6'6" and say 7' kinda like alot of guys see a 165" buck and call it a 180+

I've seen a couple of 7' bears, but I've only seen one bear I believe will go 8'. never managed to drop the hammer on a 7' though, first one I see is this year is gonna be at risk.

Kirby

srupp
05-14-2007, 10:42 PM
hmmmm where abouts Ill go check it out and tell how close you are...lol

some big bears for sure......Im heading out for blacks on 23rd..

Steven

Kirby
05-14-2007, 10:44 PM
hmmmm where abouts Ill go check it out and tell how close you are...lol

some big bears for sure......Im heading out for blacks on 23rd..

Steven

Do yourself a favour, drive a toyota:lol: Ford might leave ya stranded again:twisted:

Good luck on blacks, hope to see a monster.

Kirby

The Hermit
05-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I'd like a big bear for the rug but a nice 5 footer for eatin!

Derp
05-14-2007, 11:27 PM
If you judge bears like Marc, a 7 footer is around every bend :lol:

hahah:lol:

hunter1947
05-15-2007, 03:39 AM
Darrin you are fortunate to see such a grand daddy bear and see see two at that ,i have only seen 2 that might have went over 7 feet in all my hunting days. I would love to see you get him and post the pic hear on the sight.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif hunter47.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2007, 05:21 AM
The only way to know they are 7 footers is to put them on the ground. You might as well just have asked "who has shot a 7 footer?" .
Not me.
I was with a guy that shot one that squared 6'11" and a half but Not a 7 footer:| .

SSS

boxhitch
05-15-2007, 06:44 AM
The ones I shoot seem to be nearer the 6' line.
But I always see bigger bears, usually fleeting glimpses of monsters ! And pooh ?! I've seen some trophy piles, not just P&Y, but Booner for sure. Why, I've seen claw marks and hair on marker posts, reaching 10' from the ground ! Huge I tell ya'.

pupper
05-15-2007, 07:03 AM
no, I havent even seen anything that would go 7' although I wish I had

my friend rifled a 6'2" last spring and I saw it, so I know I saw a 6'2" for sure.

mark
05-15-2007, 07:03 AM
I was with a guy that shot one that squared 6'11" and a half but Not a 7 footer:| .

SSS

6'11 and a half is "7 FOOTER" When it comes to bar, or internet talk!

Myself ive shot 1 that goes 7 in length, seen maybe a couple others in my life, but never one bigger!

Elkhound
05-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Only seen 2.....the one we posted last year that went 7ft 4 and made B&C.....the other.......well......I think it was 7ft, never know for sure

elkguide
05-15-2007, 10:02 AM
well after guiding bears every spring for the last 10 years and looking at at least a thousand black bears I figure that I might just qualify as one of those guys that can judge a bear.......the two bears I'm after are what I say they are......big...big....big.....as far as having to dump them to see the length....I can usually be withing an inch of length on the foot.....( even at 1/2 mile in a spotting scope.) the more bears you see the bettter judge you become).

Elkhound
05-15-2007, 10:08 AM
the more bears you see the bettter judge you become).

This I am learning. So true

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2007, 10:20 AM
well after guiding bears every spring for the last 10 years and looking at at least a thousand black bears I figure that I might just qualify as one of those guys that can judge a bear.......the two bears I'm after are what I say they are......big...big....big.....as far as having to dump them to see the length....I can usually be withing an inch of length on the foot.....( even at 1/2 mile in a spotting scope.) the more bears you see the bettter judge you become).

I'm not doubting you're judging abilities, EG. But you posed the question to the "masses" of us "regular" hunters. While I've been in on some some really good bears, I'm still fooled by some bears. Just like people, they certainly come in all shapes and sizes.

Bear guides get to see lots of fur hit the dirt and are certainly more qualifed that us "weekend warriors"(go easy on me guys...:wink: ).

Best of luck catching up to them!!

SSS

rollingrock
05-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I won't judge the size of the bear until he's down, given that I see the bear and think that the bear is really big. YOu might just get a surprise in either way when you approach the downed bear! :D

Gateholio
05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Largest bear I have killed is 6'6", nose to tail.

I have no doubt that there are larger bears, as I have seen them. Exactly "how much" larger I cannot say, becuase they were still moving!:lol:

I htink the big bears are "where you find them" The coast has good potential for big bears, but I've seen some huge on es int he interior, too.

The Hermit
05-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Showing my ignorance here... where are the measurements taken? stretched out front and hind legs? Tail to Nose? What does squared out mean exactly?

Derp
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Yeah, i've been wondering that too. How do you measure the length of a black bear and also the skull?

elkguide
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Showing my ignorance here... where are the measurements taken? stretched out front and hind legs? Tail to Nose? What does squared out mean exactly? SKin the bear completely then lay it out in a natural position ( front legs to side and back out at a sligth angle)...... measure from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail and then the front legs side to side. add the 2 measurements and divide by 2 that is your square.

Elkhound
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah, i've been wondering that too. How do you measure the length of a black bear and also the skull?

Very carefully......some don't like it:lol:

twoSevenO
05-15-2007, 12:22 PM

they all look 10ft to me with huge teeth .......... buuuut, i can judge a female homo sapien like you wouldn't believe :)

youngfellla
05-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I've seen maybe 1/2 dozen blacks that would push the 7 ft mark. I've taken two that were just shy of 7 ft (6' 9'' & 6' 11''). I tend to judge them smaller than they actually are. Most I've shot end up being bigger than I had judged in the field.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2007, 12:25 PM
they all look 10ft to me with huge teeth .......... buuuut, i can judge a female homo sapien like you wouldn't believe :)

Where bigger is NOT better....... Finally, a time when "ground shrinkage" is a good thing....or should I say "morning shrinkage":lol: !

SSS

GoatGuy
05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I've seen a couple 7 footers hit the dirt but they certainly aren't behind every tree.

It also seems like some areas have bears that are longer and some that are shorter and fatter making it tough to judge when you aren't familiar with the bears in an area.

Also some areas just don't produce whopper bears - finding a 6 1/2 footer's right up there beside impossible nevermind a 7 footer.

Will
05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Largest I've taken.............6'6" Pure Black Phase.
Seen a Cinnamon last year that would go over 6 for sure....most likely substantially more. Never could locate him during the daylight hours though:|
This Black Boar was right about 6' on the money.....I watched him for quite awhile.....decent head but......
Decided he wasn't quite worth the tough pack out.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/IMG_0332.JPG

Seen a Blackie several years back that was an honest 7 foot plus bear, the second I can say for sure I've seen.

Haven't tagged out on a Bear in a few years now.......just got tired of seeing 6 footers and raised the bar to 8 Feet or nothing for the last few years....... :lol:

Gonna take my Son out next week chasing bears though so I may just put the first decent one I see in the dirt just cause I'd like to share that with him !
We'll see :)

bsa30-06
05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Very carefully......some don't like it:lol:

Thats funny!!!!!!!!:lol:

dana
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
My personal biggest bear was 7'4" I killed in 05. Next biggest 6'8" in 04. Have taken numerous ones in the 6 foot to 6'6" range. While guiding bears I was in on several that were in that 6'8"-7 foot range. And saw several while guiding that were much much bigger but were damn smart. The biggest black I've seen was the fall of 05. He was easily over 8 foot. He made my 7'4" look like an absolute dink. Sure wished I had of had a tag in my pocket that day. Sometimes it doesn't pay to kill 2 bears in the spring and not have a tag for the fall.

steveo32
05-15-2007, 06:17 PM
dana ui will have to make a tri[p up hunting with you and your son. would be sweet to have some one film and have some one else back the lucky little bugger up:lol: Hope you can find him a monster.

P.s. i have already passed on over 40 bears this year and also passed on a pamala blonde yesterday at work that would be a 6 foot bear but i want a fricken hog blonde not a dink:twisted:

steve

dana
05-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Steveo,
Maybe this year you can come with me and we'll kill that HAWG that was in 2 feet of snow last Nov. For some reason last year you guys figured it was a waste of time and wanted to hunt Monster Muleys instead.:rolleyes: Still think that bear would have made for some awesome kill pics. 8)

Will
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM
... but i want a fricken hog blonde...
Well there's lots of Hogs.....Blonde ones too.....they hang around a few places in Kamloops :smile:
I can set you up :lol:

Kirby
05-15-2007, 06:37 PM
I can set you up :lol:

Ya, Rick knows all the hogs in town....

Kirby

RiverOtter
05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
My biggest was 7'1" in 2001 and I have shot several in the 6'-6'6" range. I have seen 2 other blacks in the past 10 years that I could honestly say were 7 footers and both were just chance encounters when I was working in the bush. It takes a special bear to go 7' and most will die before they ever reach that plateau. The ones that do make 7'+ don't get there by accident and either live in the most God awful places or are very nearly nocturnal. Just the chance of getting a poke at one is what keeps us bear hunters fired up.

RO

Will
05-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Ya, Rick knows all the hogs in town....

Kirby
What can I say..........Beer is no good :oops:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2007, 07:45 PM
My biggest was 7'1" in 2001 and I have shot several in the 6'-6'6" range. I have seen 2 other blacks in the past 10 years that I could honestly say were 7 footers and both were just chance encounters when I was working in the bush. It takes a special bear to go 7' and most will die before they ever reach that plateau. The ones that do make 7'+ don't get there by accident and either live in the most God awful places or are very nearly nocturnal. Just the chance of getting a poke at one is what keeps us bear hunters fired up.

RO

God aweful places........I can attest to that....:frown: .

Just finished fleshing BB PROPERLY he ended up squaring just over 7'(that's measure.....measure and no touchy, touchy in between). I should have left those extra 25 lbs of fat and roasts in the bush where they belong:mad: ...:redface:. Skin them out right the first time and it will save you a lot of work............ya I knew that......... but it was dark and I was scared:roll: .

SSS

steveo32
05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Rick i know of the kamloops hogs but i never knew i had a connection until now:lol:

If you run into any let me knwo the gps cord. and i will do the rest of the work.

Rick are you gonna hammer a monster bear this year or just sit on the side lines like the last few years:twisted:

Dana it was a waste of time, who hunts monster bears in november anyway. Sounds like we should set something up for one of the up comming weekends

steve

dana
05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
SSS,
That's great to hear BB hits that magical 7 foot mark. Is he gonna sit in the freezer for a couple of years like mine or are you taking him to Harleys right away? Now that Cody got his first, I doubt that ol' 7 footer will ever get done. I'd much rather see Cody's done.
BTW Skinning and deboning them in the bush IS the way to go.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Dana-Just getting him tanned for now. I'm gonna keep doing that with all my "good" bears and then decide which one to do something with. Not cheap and they eat up too much wall space. I like the idea of a nice peg board with some nice wide range of different colored bears. A friend just made a pegboard out of old railway spikes he picked up while sheep hunting at Spences. Looks pretty cool! Just got to talk him in to making one for me:wink: .
My friend ended up giving me his "Big Brownie" so that will be 2 -7'ers on the board and a 6'4". Well...er...... one 7'er and one 6'11" and a half :razz: .

SSS

elkguide
05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
My personal biggest bear was 7'4" I killed in 05. Next biggest 6'8" in 04. Have taken numerous ones in the 6 foot to 6'6" range. While guiding bears I was in on several that were in that 6'8"-7 foot range. And saw several while guiding that were much much bigger but were damn smart. The biggest black I've seen was the fall of 05. He was easily over 8 foot. He made my 7'4" look like an absolute dink. Sure wished I had of had a tag in my pocket that day. Sometimes it doesn't pay to kill 2 bears in the spring and not have a tag for the fall. I hear ya dana, I tagged two in the spring of 2005 and then in the fall I was guiding in Chetwynd when I came across a huge monster brown that was easily 8'....the hunters I had at the time told me to go ahead and shoot it as they had only wolf and moose tags......stupid me had used my yearly quota up......been back the last 2 years looking for him but never saw him again. ( figure that....he was in the same spot at the same time for almost 2 weeks and then he vanished). We saw the big one I've been after again this afternoon.....man is he huge. I'm givin it my all but this is one smart bear.....got within 500 yards of him today and the wind turned on us. I know we'll get him if we keep tryin. I have all spring as We didn't book enough spring hunts to keep me workin so all my days are devoted to the pursuit of this bear.

Sitkaspruce
05-15-2007, 10:23 PM
My Biggest has been 6'10". He was a lot wider than he was long, he died on April 22, 91 and he weighted with hide and head off, 325. Not bad for spring bear, but awful for taste.

Correct me if I am wrong (seems to be a lot according to my wife:lol: ) but to measure a bear, you lay them out naturally and measure from the center of each paw and from the base of the tail to the tip of the nose. I know a bears tail is only a couple of inches long, but that is what I was taught and that is what I measure when the clients want to see the bear squared out. I have honestly seen about a dozen bears over 7', all on the coast and only one that was over 8' and he was in the interior. When you see one, you will know. They make you look twice, swear and wonder if the gun or bow in your hand is big enough.

Kirby
05-15-2007, 10:29 PM
swear and wonder if the gun or bow in your hand is big enough.

LOL, thats true enough, when you question if its gonna die its big enough!!!:lol:

Kirby

highcountry88
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Bear size is so deceiving....a couple of times I have shot what I initially thought were 6 foot bears but they shrunk by the time started skinning.....on my first bear hunt I was with a couple of friends who were showing me the ropes on bear hunting and they shot a bear that I taped 7'3" nose to tail. It was truly a huge animal....they had to quarter it to get the meat out to the quad...everything about that bear was was huge.
That was about 6 years ago and I have not seen anything close that size since, but I will keep trying.

Will
05-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Rick are you gonna hammer a monster bear this year or just sit on the side lines like the last few years:twisted:
LMAO !
Just following your example on Bear Hunting :lol:

steveo32
05-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Hahahahhah damn rick this bear hunting is really beating me up:twisted: Maybe if you get some time around june first we might be able to squeak out a bear hunt if you got the time.

I have passed on 45 bears now this season i guess i better wipe the dust off the old 30-06 and maybe drop one of them soon :twisted:

hope your bear season is treating you well and also hope you can put one on the ground with your son watching the whole show:)

steve

Will
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Hahahahhah damn rick this bear hunting is really beating me up
I know that feeling.....I've only been out for a couple quick drives.....didn't even take the rifle ???? :|
Just catching up on some House crap I've managed to dodge for a few years now :lol: .......the Wife says enough and wants it done :cry:

Looks like I've got next week off work though so a Bear trip may be finally here :)

steveo32
05-16-2007, 10:18 PM
right on rick hope you put a monster on the ground and that your son is there to see it:lol:

steve

Will
05-17-2007, 03:48 PM
right on rick hope you put a monster on the ground and that your son is there to see it:lol:

steve
Thanks for the Good wishes.........but he's Six and weighs 50 lbs !
Any Bear is a Big Bear to him right now so I don't have to be fussy :lol:

Probably punch a 6.5mm TSX through anything 6' or better, haven't cut a bear tag in probably 5 years now.....?

We'll see, gotta get the week off first....:|

steveo32
05-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Sounds good will take some awsome pictures and do you boy proud:smile: Hope you get the time off to spend it with your son teachng him the ways of a real man :twisted:

steve

30/06
05-18-2007, 07:30 AM
holy cow you guys have me drooling with all this talk of 7' plus bears. Just leaving today for the cariboo gonna do some long weekend hunting and fishing. Got a 5'5 last year great eating but not gonna make the books, my uncle dropped a 7'2 last year went 21-1/2'' skull that was alot of bear i can only imagine what an 8' would look like man that would be the stalk of a life time.can't wait to get back and show and tell some pics straight shootin fellas8-)

Will
05-18-2007, 03:08 PM
21-1/2'' skull
That is very Impressive for a Blackie 8)