PDA

View Full Version : Red lake Rabbits

flintlock
12-12-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm planning on ice fishing red lake a few times in the new year, anybody seeing bunnies between there and kamloops? Be a nice Thompson Valley version of surf & turf.

604ksmith
12-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Yes, I've seen a lot of rabbits on the Criss Creek Road just up from Red Lake. This was about 2 months ago though.

tomahawk
12-12-2015, 05:14 PM
There all over the area. talked to a guy near the lake who was road hunting and he had 5 in the pickup

Mtrbkr72
12-12-2015, 05:43 PM
The numbers for rabbit seemed to be up this year. I noticed a lot of them along the old roads behind Carbide Hill wrapping along the west side of the lake and the Seven Lakes area north of the lake. I did not see the numbers in grouse this year. Maybe it was just what happened to see!

flintlock
12-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Thanks fellas, when I go I'll bring the 22 and see if I see any. I'll probably spend a lot more time fishing than hunting though.

skibum
12-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Does the game plan change hunting rabbits in the snow? They still come out to the road at daybreak and dayfall/

tomahawk
12-12-2015, 11:49 PM
A great place to find them is in the brush about 10 to 20 ft off the sides of the roads sitting there. You do see them on the road but they feel more safe in that area just off the road edge so slowly cruise the roads and watch that area also.

Does the game plan change hunting rabbits in the snow? They still come out to the road at daybreak and dayfall/

flintlock
12-12-2015, 11:58 PM

you can also hunt them after a snowfall by following tracks. They usually aren't in too much of a hurry, stopping to browse and hide, so when you cut a fresh track you can catch up to them and bag them. I wish I could carry a 22 revolver in a shoulder holster for jogging through the trees after them, might have to get a mare's leg...

EmJayBee
12-19-2015, 11:17 PM
you can also hunt them after a snowfall by following tracks. They usually aren't in too much of a hurry, stopping to browse and hide, so when you cut a fresh track you can catch up to them and bag them. I wish I could carry a 22 revolver in a shoulder holster for jogging through the trees after them, might have to get a mare's leg...

That's good news because it's snowing like crazy in Terrace and will likely stop halfway through the night,

Here's a good question/thought of mine....Is it probable that hare populations are in little pockets? My favourite spot is very barren this winter but I am spotting tons of wolf tracks, some other smaller predator (maybe marten or fox) tracks, Spotted a marten in a trapline in the area.
A person in our house is going hunting with a person who owns an acreage just rural from town and last week they got 5 in 2 hours. I'm wondering if lack of predators near an urban centre allows the hare population to flourish. Any thoughts?

Firstblood
12-20-2015, 12:49 AM
Ah a mares leg works great for the bunnies (headshots only with my 44), I carry mine in a leg holster when Im on the snow shoes tracking the bunnies and chasing cougars around. as for the jogging after them, Ive found following the tracks ultra slow has provided many more bunnies for me, even a normal walking pace I always saw them bounding away just out of view, slow that pace down to a crawl, limited out more than once in short order.

Gumsehwah
12-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Terrace area, you say, EmJayBee?

I work up here in the Nass and the bunnies seem to be alive and well just around Nass Camp. I've been meaning to get out, but the "honeydo" list never ends. :-(

try along the edges of the new hydro cut.
Might be interesting…

EmJayBee
12-20-2015, 09:31 PM
I have located a lot of tracks much closer to home and have set a couple of snares to boot...today was a no show for tracking so I'm going to get out when I think they will be active.

Gumsehwah
12-22-2015, 12:15 AM
Try just before sundown. I find thats even better than morning.