PDA

View Full Version : This is why I love hunting.

07blackwater
12-09-2015, 09:02 PM
I was sitting in my blind, watching the swans, when a calf moose came for water. He was alone for about 15 minutes until 2 cows joined him.

They played while I was waiting for the bull to come out. What showed up? Another cow!

Disappointing for filling the freezer but good for the soul. It was a good day. Dad already had a calf down anyway.

He had a stroke on the way back. I called 911 around the Loon Lake turn off and they took him to Ashcroft. He passed shortly after.

He hunted the same slough for over 60 years. I've been there for nearly 30. I'll always have the countless hours with him in the bush .

You can't imagine how much I miss him.

http://i.imgur.com/bimLXzF.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/bimLXzF)

Kowabunga
12-10-2015, 10:48 PM
You are right - I can't imagine how much you must miss your Dad, as I have not had to go through something like this. My most sincere condolences. I am sure you will remember that day, and all of the others you spent together hunting this area. Keep returning to this spot, or any other special places, to keep the memories alive. Again, my condolences for your great loss.

.264winmag
12-10-2015, 11:02 PM
That is one of the best photos I've ever seen, thanks for sharing.
Sorry on your loss. Nothing can stop the pain, but keeping on doing what you loved to do together helps.
The fondest memories I have of my father is from the outdoors. I like to pack a little of his ashes with me and when It feels right I leave part of him there...

RugDoctor
12-10-2015, 11:03 PM
I hope you find whatever comforts you the most. Been there...sucks.

Daybreak
12-10-2015, 11:07 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. Hold on to all your memories and carry on the traditions you both created. He is proud of you.

Roe
12-11-2015, 01:41 AM
Sorry for your loss. I am quite sure that lots of guys; myself included would envy you your memories.

07blackwater
12-11-2015, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

He's going to make one last trip, that's where he wanted his ashes spread.

I'll continue going there with my son and keep the tradition alive. So many good memories up there.

Elkaholic
12-11-2015, 07:55 AM
I am sorry for your loss. Hold on to the memories and it sounds like your keeping the tradition alive and I am sure that would make your dad proud!

Arctic Lake
12-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss ! Your father passed shortly after doing something he really enjoyed and with you his son . He lives on in you as you carry on in life. Hope that brings you some comfort in the time ahead. Take Care !

honeyman76
12-11-2015, 08:21 AM
My Condolences for your sudden loss. No words can help lessen that. Having lost my both my step dad and dad, tears your heart.
Prayers!

campking
12-11-2015, 08:28 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, may peace be with you.

HarryToolips
12-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Incredible pic there, sincere condolences to you and your family....

wideopenthrottle
12-11-2015, 02:02 PM
condolences...not to downplay the pain but it would be how I would want to go..peace be with you

HeadingOutside
12-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Our condolences.

Xenomorph
12-11-2015, 04:39 PM
I was sitting in my blind, watching the swans, when a calf moose came for water. He was alone for about 15 minutes until 2 cows joined him.

They played while I was waiting for the bull to come out. What showed up? Another cow!

Disappointing for filling the freezer but good for the soul. It was a good day. Dad already had a calf down anyway.

He had a stroke on the way back. I called 911 around the Loon Lake turn off and they took him to Ashcroft. He passed shortly after.

He hunted the same slough for over 60 years. I've been there for nearly 30. I'll always have the countless hours with him in the bush .

You can't imagine how much I miss him.

http://i.imgur.com/bimLXzF.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/bimLXzF)

Beautiful story, picture, memories. Sorry for your loss, I hope your son will spend just as many good times with you as you did with your pop.

Eva_Hunts
12-11-2015, 10:54 PM
thank you for sharing this /// we live eternally by sharing time and creating memories together.

Bugle M In
12-12-2015, 01:28 AM
I really feel for your loss.
I too am blessed to have been able to hunt with my Dad for at least 40+ years now.
He too, is reaching an age where I know he won't be around that much longer, he's 76.
Your photo, and your story hit me as so coincidental.
There is a spot, in the EK, on a river, where he and myself have spent hours each year, sitting, bugling and calling
for elk.
I know one day soon, I will also be sitting there, alone, where once he sat for hours taking in all that mother nature
had to show......and an incredible show I think it was for both him and me.
I hope that when that day comes, I too can sit on that log, staring out across the river, and up those mountains, reflect
on all the times and conversations we had right there, and hopefully find peace in those times.
I hope you have found peace, and that the spot where that photo was taken, will always give a sense of joy and understanding.
Take Care

07blackwater
12-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks again.

Yes, he did go exactly how he wanted. He was 85 and still hunting, he always said it's all a bonus for him at that age.

I did the math again and it was 31 years we hunted that spot together. My son's been up there 2 now, hopefully we get as many years together as dad and I had.

Cherish every moment together.

The day after dad got his last moose there was an incredible sunset. We pulled over the truck and listened to some Mozart until the sun went down. Not my regular music but looking back it was pretty fitting.

Lucky 7
12-14-2015, 06:08 PM
I hunted with my father-inlaw for the past 30 years and was with him when he knew he was dying of cancer. I was there when he slammed his last elk,muley, whitetail and finally a buffalo. Such great memories. one of his last wishes on his death bed was that my son(his grandson) got his core done and got out hunting. That was 5 years ago and every year my son has provided meat for our family.

albravo2
12-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Sorry for your loss. Really, really sorry.

I think Eva touched on it and Bugle nailed it. Great memories and the bond you shared is invaluable.

I admire both what you lost and what you have to hold on to. I hope my children and yours can say the same one day.

kennyj
12-14-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your Dad passing. It sounds like you have a lot of great memories of your time together.
kenny

Looking_4_Jerky
12-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Blackwater, I hope you are comforted by the abundance of memories you have of the two of you. I'm sorry to hear this.

sparkes3
12-15-2015, 09:11 PM
sorry about your dad passing
hold your memories close

Ride Red
12-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. When the tough days call on you, your memories will carry you through. It's been 10 months since my dad passed and only time will soften the pain. Take care and build those memories with your son.

Striksfromabove
12-15-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you must have went through and are still going through. Remember the thought of being there with him on his last hunt and cherish it.

DarekG
12-16-2015, 02:11 PM
I am sorry for your loss.
Beautiful pictures, beautiful memories.

I'm the youngest of three, I've always been the black sheep in the family and kept distant and quiet. I am grateful that over the last three years my father and I have found a way to bond through hunting. I've spent more time doing things with my dad in these last three years than the twenty-three before them. I know that I will cherish the memories we've made forever.

jackthebear
12-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Love those soul filling moments! So sorry for your loss. I'm reminded of something Neale Donald Walsh said. "When you can see the blossoming and falling away of the flower as a sign that the tree is ready to bear fruit then you understand life. Look at this closely and you will see that life is it's own metaphor". Hope that helps:-)