PDA

View Full Version : Another butcher complaint

kentucky
12-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Used Tappen Valley Butchers for the first time. They didn't Take the time to separate individual muscels and cut across them plus they were cut at an angle. The trimming was the worst I have ever seen. Will never use them again!!

Daybreak
12-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Have you voiced you concerns to them? Messing with a mans hard earned game meat is sure to piss them off.

tomahawk
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Not sure what you mean by " The trimming was the worst " and what muscle groups didn't they separate?

M.Dean
12-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Did you ask, and agree to pay to have "Each" muscle group taken apart and cut separately? And if it's a deer you took in, the only place to "take apart" the muscles would be the front and rear legs. And when cutting the hinds I take out a couple big roasts, maybe get a few top or bottom round steaks and the rest go's for jerky or sausage, and the fronts get pretty well the same. Back straps are cut into steak, and or I leave them long and roast them, did that on the weekend, way better than steaks! What "Muscle groups" were you unhappy with, if I might ask?

Daybreak
12-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Used Tappen Valley Butchers for the first time. They didn't Take the time to separate individual muscels and cut across them plus they were cut at an angle. The trimming was the worst I have ever seen. Will never use them again!!

Pretty sure you should always cut across the grain when cutting steaks. Flank may be an exception. Otherwise they are tougher than they should be. I always cut mine across the grain and pre-freeze the muscle slightly to ensure I don't get angled cuts. When the meat is soft it tends to distort even with a good sharp knife.

Jagermeister
12-09-2015, 05:28 PM
I have not used this shop, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. You did discuss your displeasure with the shop, right?
A close relative lives next door, I'll bring it to their attention.

kentucky
12-09-2015, 05:28 PM
All of them !!

BiG Boar
12-09-2015, 06:46 PM
I don't know how they usually cut them down in Kentucky, but this post is so vague. It sounds like you didn't do a good job of telling them that you like your meat cut a very precise way.

Agent Orange
12-09-2015, 06:52 PM
I don't know how they usually cut them down in Kentucky, but this post is so vague. It sounds like you didn't do a good job of telling them that you like your meat cut a very precise way.

I feel this way too. If a group of people all have a hard time understanding what exactly the complaint is, its not a far stretch to assume that maybe the butcher was not clear on what you wanted.

Salty
12-09-2015, 06:56 PM
First world problem

Taurusguy
12-09-2015, 06:57 PM
I only ever use Dressed To Grill in mission...year over year never had an issue. Always excellent service.

walks with deer
12-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Dressed to grill is great and girls are cute..

Taurusguy
12-09-2015, 07:17 PM

Yup.. They are. I believe they also have someone who will come after hours sometimes for a small fee. Or did... Dunno a this year as I am eating tag soup.

1980skywalker
12-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Yet another reason to cut your own game, Ive never complained about the way I cut my meat and when I have I just blame the poor choice of beer!

deer nut
12-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Learn to butcher your own meat, then you never have cause for complaint. Unless you want sawn cuts like t-bone, it isn't that difficult. It's actually quite rewarding and a nice way to extend your hunt experience!

Bugle M In
12-09-2015, 07:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtfNMyWZaE..............

skuntor
12-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Weird. Just got some deer back from Tappen valley meats and it's great. Pepperoni and Italian sausage are top notch. Cuts look great as well.
Never used them before but my usual butcher was too busy.

HaywoodJablomi
12-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Darren @ Tappen Valley Meats has been more than helpful and asked us lots of questions about how I wanted my meat cut, how much ground we wanted outside of sausage/pepperoni etc. He's stayed open late for Skuntor and I to hang deer/bear in a pinch. Overall good guy.

okas
12-11-2015, 12:13 AM
doing game meat is a very... how would you say it ... a lot comes in like road kill laying in a ditch a few days . Butcher should just say no thankyou.. Do not go away mad just go away :wink: Most hunters do not have any idea about looking after there meat let alone make a clean kill .. got my hunting licence 1964 so i have very little knowledge :roll:

Rub
12-11-2015, 11:40 AM
I've taken 4 or 5 deer to Tappen Valley over the past few years, and service, cuts, and all the sausage have been fantastic. He made time for me, even when he didn't really have it. Great guy and great service/product. The sweet & spicy pepperoni is the best pepperoni I've ever had, hands down.

okas
12-11-2015, 05:10 PM
I've taken 4 or 5 deer to Tappen Valley over the past few years, and service, cuts, and all the sausage have been fantastic. He made time for me, even when he didn't really have it. Great guy and great service/product. The sweet & spicy pepperoni is the best pepperoni I've ever had, hands down.

This is a very good call :smile: as here say can do a lot of damage to a good person and his business

Bugle M In
12-11-2015, 05:44 PM
This is a very good call :smile: as here say can do a lot of damage to a good person and his business

True, but it is ok for people to post their experiences in my opinion.
Look at the thread and all the posts.
OP had a complaint, and others say their satisfied fully.
Sometimes someone complains, and other agree with similar experiences, thus you can make
a decision to avoid that Co. etc.
So far, I see that most are satisfied, so If I needed to us a butcher, I would use this one.
I like Ron out in Mission, and will continue to use him, even though there was a thread that had a complaint
against him.
Sure, I will be a little more focused when I go to him again, to make sure I am still satisfied and he does
what I pay him for.
I will not knock the OP for posting, and I am glad to see others posting their experiences as well.
After all, this is a hunting "Forum", and people have different opinions and different experiences.
But yes, I would not like to be the butcher and have a bad post against my abilities and product,
but, it's going to happen, no matter what business you own.

Bernie O
12-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Darren and his wife are both very accommodating and helpful . Took my game even when he did not have time but somehow got it all done anyway .
Excellent sausage and al the meat was wrapped very well. If I was not eating tag soup he would have my business again

hardnocks
12-11-2015, 06:25 PM
darren cut a moose for me . i was satisfied

Glenny
12-11-2015, 07:40 PM

Ok I'm sold should I ever ever need a butcher again.

Glenny
12-11-2015, 07:41 PM
lol and I got flamed for for denouncing NSM

tooley
12-12-2015, 09:21 AM
I am picky with whom I let deal with my meat. there are only 2 butchers in the north Okanagan / Shuswap I use and Tappen Valley Meats is one of them. Not to mention he is always right crammed full so I think there are very few who have had a bad experience with Darren. And yes, the man Knows how to make sausage!!

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Darren has cut moose ,elk and deer for me for years. His shop is always spotless and the job he has done for me has always been first rate. Again this year my grandkids can't get enough of the sausage he made for us.

Elkchaser
12-12-2015, 03:53 PM
I have no idea of the circumstances around this post - not agreeing or disagreeing, free speech and all. One thing I learned over 20 years ago that has served me extremely well (as I have moved several times over those years), is keep your hard earned meat really clean in the field. Either in camp or back home I always go over the skinned meat meticulously and always put new clean bags on to deliver to butcher. Any hair, dirt and/or vegetation are major turn offs to lots of butchers. Level of service received gets impacted, or worse, your business won't be welcomed next time - "we are full, sorry". Keep your butcher happy - goes a long ways!

bc_buckshot
12-12-2015, 04:22 PM
I have no idea of the circumstances around this post - not agreeing or disagreeing, free speech and all. One thing I learned over 20 years ago that has served me extremely well (as I have moved several times over those years), is keep your hard earned meat really clean in the field. Either in camp or back home I always go over the skinned meat meticulously and always put new clean bags on to deliver to butcher. Any hair, dirt and/or vegetation are major turn offs to lots of butchers. Level of service received gets impacted, or worse, your business won't be welcomed next time - "we are full, sorry". Keep your butcher happy - goes a long ways!

Cant say it better than that!....

Hunterguy
12-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Totally agree if guys bring in meat that hasn't been taken care of and than if you don't care the butcher is not a magician can't turn a sows ear into a purse, I think more butchers should just say hey full of sticks, hair , bloodshot take it somewhere else.

Rob Chipman
12-12-2015, 07:21 PM
It's always good to hear about a good game cutter/butcher, but I'll echo some other guys - whenever you can, do it yourself. It's not as tough as I originally thought, and if you've got some buddies to help with the moose it's even better. Take the money you save and get a grinder (I got a dandy this year) and a vacuum sealer. There's a few books out there that show how to break down a wild animal better than the cow butchering youtube videos do (they work if that's all you've got).

Bugle M In
12-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Totally agree if guys bring in meat that hasn't been taken care of and than if you don't care the butcher is not a magician can't turn a sows ear into a purse, I think more butchers should just say hey full of sticks, hair , bloodshot take it somewhere else.
I had a close friend who was a butcher for years, who now is no longer here.
But his main complaint when handling wild game from hunters was exactly that.
Don't drag a frickin carcass in mud/sticks/twigs/leaves etc.
Don't get hair in every crevice possible
Clean up spoilage immediately.
He was a smart guy.....he just said "I won't touch it, take it away"
As for him, he stayed very busy and fairly wealthy, even without that type of business.
So, take care of that game, it's not just a dead animal, it's what you harvested to consume.
Would you buy a T-bone from a butcher, take it out of its packaging and then go outside and throw it in
the garden??? than cook it up.
It's not easy to simply pack out an animal, it takes effort to do it right.
The butchering, if the gutting/packing was done right, is a lot easier.
Just something to think about, if you haven't had the experience yet on what can go all wrong after the shot has
been made, and that animal is laying there.
Lots of youtube out there and lots of different opinions.
Watch a bunch of them, and than you will have lots in the memory bank to use when needed.