PDA

View Full Version : Tag Soup...who is eating it this year?,

Cyrus
12-08-2015, 10:04 AM
First time in a long time...but scope covers didnt even come off in over 40 days of hunting. Worst season for me ever I would have to say. Heading out of province next year if I get no draws. So who else is eating that tasteless soup???

shuswapbear
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Will figure that out after Thursday. LOL

Sofa King
12-08-2015, 10:24 AM
i enjoyed mine last year.
when i am tasting the soup, it's always self-imposed, from being picky and passing on many legal deer because i'm after A certain one.
so even when a season ends and that bowl is now before me, it's not as harsh because i think of all the fun hunting trips i had and those little bits of new info i gathered for next year to get me closer to THAT guy.

Wentrot
I'll let ya know on the 15th. If anyone has a blacktail tied to a tree around here let me know, I will grant you three wishes.

stevo911_
I am. Didn't cut a deer tag this year :\, I also didn't get out nearly as much as I had hoped, and when I did they had just started logging RIGHT beside my best spot :\

I bagged a bruin opening weekend at least, so i've still got a decent amount of meat left from that. Just means I'll be out for spring bear earlier than this year.

drum_boy101
12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I will be making a delicious stew of Mulie, White-tail, Bear and Spike Fork Moose tag meat. All good though, it will be seasoned with lots of fun memories of hiking, exploring our amazing wilderness with my son, close calls and stories of the ones that got away.

Sofa King
12-08-2015, 10:33 AM
BUT, sitting in the woods this year, i got to thinking.
i only have so many seasons left in me.
i have a timeline of roughly 17 more years before my days are done, potentially.
my dad, his dad, and his dad before him all died from massive heart attacks at the same age.
and then, one should expect that the last few years will see one's hunting style change drastically due to not physically being able to hunt like you are used to.(except those roadies of course, they can hunt right til they drop i guess)
so, i'm hoping/guessing i might have a dozen decent hunting years left in me.
now with 3 deer each year allowed, that's 36 possible deer left to harvest.
but with two a season much more likely, that's now down to 24.
and with that being unrealistic even, especially with me being way too picky, that could now be as low as 15, even less maybe.
so when you now think you may only have a dozen deer left in you, it does make you kinda sad.

Wile E
12-08-2015, 11:06 AM
I'll be eating soup.
One weekend left but I'm going camping instead.

Lucky 7
12-08-2015, 11:16 AM
I will be eating some tag soup but my son and my wife both took bucks so at least they have provided the family with some meat. I hear about it everytime we cook the meat as this can't be your meat dad because well you never tagged anything.

dmaxtech
12-08-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm eating it. Had a great first year learn areas and sign. Did many great hikes solo and with friends. Couldn't find a buck or a bear. Hopefully next year will be better.

IronNoggin
12-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Going like Hell to try and avoid that.
Just in town to drop off crippled truck to mechanic, and rebound with a different rig...

Here's HOPING!!! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Fella
12-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Well it's a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand I cut my moose tag so it'll be moose soup rather than moose tag soup, on the other hand I passed on a really nice blackbear at the end of September that I'm kicking myself over. Also didn't get a chance at a Muley or blacktail this year but that's mostly my own fault.

Omenator
12-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Passed on a few of little 2 pointers and spikers in the any buck season. Then crippled myself up on Thanksgiving, hoping to be able to hunt spring bear, but it's tag soup for me.

two-feet
12-08-2015, 01:09 PM
I have dined on this bitter soup before, not my favorite meal. But it makes a guy more focussed on the next season

Wrayzer
12-08-2015, 01:44 PM
BUT, sitting in the woods this year, i got to thinking.
i only have so many seasons left in me.
i have a timeline of roughly 17 more years before my days are done, potentially.
my dad, his dad, and his dad before him all died from massive heart attacks at the same age.
and then, one should expect that the last few years will see one's hunting style change drastically due to not physically being able to hunt like you are used to.(except those roadies of course, they can hunt right til they drop i guess)
so, i'm hoping/guessing i might have a dozen decent hunting years left in me.
now with 3 deer each year allowed, that's 36 possible deer left to harvest.
but with two a season much more likely, that's now down to 24.
and with that being unrealistic even, especially with me being way too picky, that could now be as low as 15, even less maybe.
so when you now think you may only have a dozen deer left in you, it does make you kinda sad.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/Wrayzer/Mobile%20Uploads/giphy-facebook_s_zpsl55knytk.jpg (http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Wrayzer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/giphy-facebook_s_zpsl55knytk.jpg.html)

Bugle M In
12-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Not my taste....just threw them in the garbage....ah...I mean....recycling!

Farmer
12-08-2015, 04:17 PM
I have an unfilled bear tag, but the way the fall went for me, I didn't even buy a deer tag. We put a beef in the freezer in July and didn't need more meat. My hunting has been through this forum and seeing all the great animals shown.
Thanks to all who took the time to post their stories and pictures.

panhead
12-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Eating tag soup must be like drinking "near beer" ... it's for guy's that like to urinate a lot. Can't be much protien. I'm eating moose ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regret over missing out on profits is greater than fear of losing one’s capital … Hilliard MacBeth.

TrickleCharger
12-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Jumbo batch of tag soup here. New addition to the family over the summer meant more unfilled tags tha days hunted. I'll make up for it next year!

Taurusguy
12-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Tag soup here... Went to PG to help my dad on his moose hunt... Nada.. Went to region 8-1 for some deer... Nada... Went to. An area north of Princeton... Nada (local said I was late and misssed all the deer) ... Bad year for this hunter... O well.. Back at it again next year... The good thing though is I brought my wife and youngest son this year and hiked with my wife with me and brought her up to some deer well off the beaten path... No bucks... But it was exciting enough for her that she wants her licence next year.

tuner
12-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Tag soup here... Went to PG to help my dad on his moose hunt... Nada.. Went to region 8-1 for some deer... Nada... Went to. An area north of Princeton... Nada (local said I was late and misssed all the deer) ... Bad year for this hunter... O well.. Back at it again next year... The good thing though is I brought my wife and youngest son this year and hiked with my wife with me and brought her up to some deer well off the beaten path... No bucks... But it was exciting enough for her that she wants her licence next year.
Short of shooting an animal, it sounds like a pretty good season, all things considered.

caddisguy
12-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm going to try and give them BT's one more go this weekend... failing that I'll be eating a deer tag. I'm still eating on a spring bear from 2015 so it's not completely tag soup... could use some fibre in my diet anyway

markomoose
12-08-2015, 06:59 PM
I personally didn't pull the trigger but am riding my partners good fortune.Partner got a decent bull moose in Region 6 and my son got a doe in Region 5.I don't care who bags it as long as some of those eats end up in our freezer.It's all about generous friends and good trips. Cheers Mark

HarryToolips
12-08-2015, 10:50 PM
Short of shooting an animal, it sounds like a pretty good season, all things considered.
See this is the right idea...learning and enjoying yourself is what it's about...

For me I passed on a couple bear in the spring season not big enough....
-eating tag soup with my muley, elk and moose tags
-filled 2 WT tags, 1 more to fill different region hopefully with bow....

ian745
12-08-2015, 11:19 PM
so far this is 2 years running for me :s going out for the morning tomorrow and Thursday , open deer, bear and cougar tag :'( life got in the way this year, a change in the hunting group, and stuff just made me not that into it this year, but 2 more days here on the island to give it a whirl!!

mikeman20
12-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Yeah im enjoying the tag soup this year. I didn't get out enough, and missed two chances at the same 4point two weekends ago. Each time I was busted by smell or sight and I got busy enough of a look at him to see an oddly tall and skinny 4point rack before he disappeared into the thick stuff.

I had a great year though. If it was easy I wouldn't enjoy it. Next year I'll get the clever bugger and it will feel that much better.

J-F
12-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Tag soup for me... unless I get one on the very last day, Thursday.

Man! I blew three good chances this year, my fault. But I learn, every year.

I kept the last two days in case... one will go to my wife, I'm taking her out skiing tomorrow (happy wife = happy life!), but I keep the 10th for me, last ditch effort.

I'll post it if I run into something interesting.

And yeah! Santa is sending a predator call, for winter excitement :D

Johnnybear
12-09-2015, 12:20 AM
I filled both deer tags. I also purchased a bear tag and a cougar tag. The cougar tag is probably going to soup unless one comes out and tries to each my grouse or rabbit :smile:. The bear tag will wait till spring.........

hunter1947
12-09-2015, 06:21 AM
I got a very decent WT buck this year but a grizzly took my deer guess a person can call this tag soap I did get
a portion of Roosevelt elk meat to put in my freezer when involved on a roosevelt elk hunt vancouver island..

wideopenthrottle
12-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Yeah im enjoying the tag soup this year. I didn't get out enough, and missed two chances at the same 4point two weekends ago. Each time I was busted by smell or sight and I got busy enough of a look at him to see an oddly tall and skinny 4point rack before he disappeared into the thick stuff.

I had a great year though. If it was easy I wouldn't enjoy it. Next year I'll get the clever bugger and it will feel that much better.
I got a 3x4 up near Clinton that was like that..the Clinton rack fits between the one from gang ranch but sticks up almost twice as high...they seem to get that way when they live in the thicker stuff in my opinion

Squamch
12-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Yep. Shot at a great big deer, right where the last one was, and all my rifle did was go "pop."
Then I let a bunch of spikes walk.
I did cancel all my grouse tags though! So I've had a few bowls of grouse and chanterelle soup.

pieter
12-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Nothing wrong with tag soup, it to me is just getting out having fun,if I never shoot another critter its ok I have over the years got my share,love seeing my grand kids and your kids and grand kids out there having fun and trying, meat is a bonus but if every body filled all the tags that they can get a lot more people would be having tag soup

emerson
12-09-2015, 10:47 PM
1 small spring bear is all. Worked hard, no moose

markomoose
12-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Hopefully Kyle klassen is eating more than tag soup??

tuner
12-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Hopefully Kyle klassen is eating more than tag soup??
Tag soup and necrothread hor'dourves, hum mm.... delicious!!!

Jim Prawn
12-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Between Riley James and I we have enough tag soup for a whole year!; 4 blacktail tags, 1 whitetail 1 moose and 2 black bear tags!!! Good thing Riley got his moose! I wish it was because we were being picky but was simply a lack of effort. Looking forward to starting a new year on a positive note and hunting our balls off next season!!!!!!!!
JP

ian745
12-10-2015, 10:24 PM
tag soup it is, fired 2 rounds this year in the bush, skunked:'( my fault, guess`d the distance horribly , lessons learned, empty freezer planning and such for next year now

Bubba123
12-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Cut lots of grouse tags, made soup with the rest. Spring bear to start next year and here's hoping for an LEH draw.

IronNoggin
12-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Alberta Mulie Tag: Filled.
BC Whitetail Tag: In the Soup Pot - Didn't go... :-(
Island Buck Blacktail Tags - Filled
Island Dow Blacktail Tag: Soup - No Dry Does encountered & Don't shoot wet does / bambis.

Alberta January Bull Elk: Jury is still out...

Cheers,
Nog

wideopenthrottle
12-11-2015, 02:38 PM
2wt filled
moose soup
bear soup
mule soup
all told 3 of us shared 6 deer (5 wt and a mule doe) and lost one WT to a griz at bull river

butthead
12-11-2015, 08:03 PM
fresh wt peperoni in the freezer and making lots of hamburger jerky this year

NChunter
12-11-2015, 08:28 PM
My second year hunting first year eating tag soup (beginners luck last year). Any good recipes I'm thinking if I use enough spices it might be ok!

Glenny
12-11-2015, 08:38 PM
fresh wt peperoni in the freezer and making lots of hamburger jerky this year

My big whitey at 40yds got thwarted by a branch er sumpen. Missed it by that much chief!! Coulda cried. :sad:

SSG-man
12-11-2015, 10:24 PM
In a slow cooker;
2 cups water
5 peeled diced potatoes
4 sliced carrots
2 chopped onions
cup frozen green peas
clove garlic
table spoon cracked black pepper
teaspoon salt
2 fresh ruffed grouse breasts

Option #1
For additional flavour marinade birds in red wine at least 2 hrs before starting in slow cooker.

Option #2.
Open bottle of scotch or preferred spirits while waiting for slow cooker and turn on favourite re runs of mountain men, trappers, top gear, etc.

My second year hunting first year eating tag soup (beginners luck last year). Any good recipes I'm thinking if I use enough spices it might be ok!

j270wsm
12-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Spike bull moose, 7pt bull elk and 2 white tails in the freezer this year. Bought goat and mule deer tags but didn't hunt them.

butthead
12-12-2015, 04:33 PM
so is there a different flavor between moose tag and deer tag soup? hows the wt taste?

Rhyno
12-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Spike bull moose, 7pt bull elk and 2 white tails in the freezer this year. Bought goat and mule deer tags but didn't hunt them.

based on your season you shouldnt be allowed to post in this thread! Congrats on the great season.

j270wsm
12-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Lol. I still have mule deer and goat tags that didn't get filled.

Bugle M In
12-13-2015, 12:02 AM
tag soup is ok, if as long as you had fun with friends and family and memories are made.
Even better if there was at least a lot of action, which wasn't the case for me this year at all.
Did have a black bear tag (1st time ever), and did have all the time in the world to drop one,
but he was just too small, and I just couldn't do it.
The Cinnamon Brown with lots of blonde colour phase was the one I wanted, as it was "Frickin Huge"!
But he was at 528 yrds, and even though I have a scope with adjusting range out to 800, the 60km
winds was just more than I wanted to chew off...to be honest, I would have had to been rock solid to even
think of squeezing one of in no wind.....not fair to that bear if I screwed it up, and at that distance, there is a whole
lot of room for error.
So, I made a choice to eat that tag, and I feel zero remorse for letting both go, although I did want to help in the
predator department, that little guy wasn't there yet....hope he is having fun out there??!!

TreeStandMan
12-14-2015, 12:51 PM
A lot of these posts make me think about the saying, “Don’t pass on your first day what you’d be happy to have on the last.”

Me, I managed to cut my mule deer tag on the second to last day I had booked off for hunting, but he was a little guy. I passed on three larger bucks a few weeks earlier, but at that late date I was probably lucky just to get it done.

BCLogger
12-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Tag soup here too...spent way too much money on fuel driving all over the place, only to see a grand total of 6 does and zero bucks all season. Makes it hard to justify to the wife that hunting is better than store bought meat.

DANOSON
12-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Myself I get the tag soup special but was lucky enough to be on 2 moose trips were my partners shot 2 small bulls get a little share and a couple deer hunts were I never shot but shared the rewards. Not a bad season overall maybe my turn next year. Have been hunting 35 years and I don't like the tag soup so hope not to have it next year. Paper is hard to get out of my teeth.

Rich_D
12-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Tag soup here too...spent way too much money on fuel driving all over the place, only to see a grand total of 6 does and zero bucks all season. Makes it hard to justify to the wife that hunting is better than store bought meat.

I went my first 2 years with nothing to show, my wife and I figured my first deer was worth approx $200/lb

Never try and justify the cost, justify the fact that you are doing something you enjoy......meat is the bonus.

Hublocker
12-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Not this year, but I had a very dry stretch from about 2007 to 2013. No deer at all. A lot of tag soup. And it's not without experience. I've been at this since 1968. Some of those years I spent over 30 days hunting.

Sofa King
12-14-2015, 03:58 PM

that should be the last reason you are hunting.
does she have to justify her shopping?

if i kept track of my fuel and time spent hunting/scouting/etc, it would be absolutely crazy.
i never try to use that to justify the cost of a deer in the freezer.
it's about doing what i absolutely love, and there's no putting a price on that.

07blackwater
12-14-2015, 03:59 PM
Hunting was hard this year but I have calf moose, mule deer and bear in the freezer.

Brought back about a dozen grouse too. We ate twice that up there.

My buddy raises turkeys so I have 2 30 pounders in the freezer as well.

I'm set.

nature girl
12-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Tag soup is so good that I am having lipton cup of soup tonight.
Hopefully my luck is better in the spring and I can shoot me a bear. Bear season cannot come soon enough.
But I did have a good season even if I didn't shoot any animals.

NO IDEAS
12-14-2015, 05:36 PM
me to; tags soup for me; din;t see a buck in south Island. but got a nice white tail in Alberta in early October.saving the bone for the soup...

butthead
12-14-2015, 08:29 PM
A lot of these posts make me think about the saying, “Don’t pass on your first day what you’d be happy to have on the last.”

Me, I managed to cut my mule deer tag on the second to last day I had booked off for hunting, but he was a little guy. I passed on three larger bucks a few weeks earlier, but at that late date I was probably lucky just to get it done.

if its legal dropit is my motto. getting to old to get the big ones on the quad by my self

hunter1947
12-15-2015, 07:20 AM
I liked tag soap this year I really did not need more meat ,,it's a good thing that I can say this not many people would agree with my saying LOL..

IronNoggin
12-17-2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3414529&d=1450236287

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3414513&d=1450236271

:lol:
Nog

sawmill
12-17-2015, 04:29 PM
No tag soup for me.Well ate a mulie tag but I was working 7 12`s.Got a whitie buck and doe. Fifteen years in a row. Never bought an elk tag this year or last,too busy working.Thank god for white tail,always fills my freezer.