PDA

View Full Version : Dease River?

wayne nicol
12-07-2015, 08:30 PM
So... for those of you that have been on the dease.
what kind of water can a person expect.
i have many years experience as a white water guide- so not concerned about ability- but just trying to get a handle on water conditions to decide on a suitable craft for a trip in mid sept.
options are to build a drift boat- great for gear, and meat- and my mate can fish while i row!
but they are slower on flat and sluggish water, and do have some windage issues , if it gets windy up that valley in sept?

or to build two freighter canoes- each run one- lots of capacity- slicker in the water- but then its two boats.- no body catching supper!!
what other options could one consider??
cheers
wayne

emerson
12-07-2015, 10:09 PM
So... for those of you that have been on the dease.
what kind of water can a person expect.
i have many years experience as a white water guide- so not concerned about ability- but just trying to get a handle on water conditions to decide on a suitable craft for a trip in mid sept.
options are to build a drift boat- great for gear, and meat- and my mate can fish while i row!
but they are slower on flat and sluggish water, and do have some windage issues , if it gets windy up that valley in sept?

or to build two freighter canoes- each run one- lots of capacity- slicker in the water- but then its two boats.- no body catching supper!!
what other options could one consider??
cheers
wayne
From where to where? I don't think you are paddling back up. Not big whitewater from the highway crossing down to15k or so past Cotton Lake, but not many animals sitting on the river either. I spent 6 days on the river last fall and saw 2 bulls. Lots of calling and waiting off the main channels.

two-feet
12-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Two freighter canoes would be the absolute tits up there.

wayne nicol
12-08-2015, 01:11 AM
i think two freighters is what its gonna be.
probably paddle from the lake to the liard :)

trebreklaw
12-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Suggest you get a copy of the book Trail to the Interior By RM Patterson. Should be available from the library in Charlotte.
He wrote an account of canoe trip down from Dease Lake to Lower Post in the forties.

The river has not changed. I have been on most of it and it is tame. Quite a bit of it is very slow. Freighter canoes would be fine.

You can put in at Dease Lake ,Dease Crossing or Cotton Lake if you can find a private owner who will let you launch.

You can take out at McDame if you get permission from Good hope First Nation. Apparently there is an access near Boya Lake, and French Creek Rec Site.

If you go right to Lower Post be prepared to leave someone with your stuff as things have been known to disappear.

If you want to talk PM me and I will give you my phone # I am in Terrace