PDA

View Full Version : How to get FVSAHL?

Lugg
12-07-2015, 06:30 PM
All,

New r/pal and CORE here.

I'm sure this is an annoying question to ask but I could not find my answer, in fact searching for the answer has actually produced more questions!

I went to get a hunting license recently (Will leave the location out of this post) "Just in case" we saw some small game while my son and I were plinking with our 22's.

The fellow asked us where we were going and I told him Stave Lake, about 20+ km in on the west side.

He told us we needed FVSAHL and I'd need liability insurance through a "Club" to both discharge firearms (Target Shooting) and to hunt small game. In fact he said I need liability insurance for Target Practice on crown land regardless. My understanding was as long as you have a PAL you can discharge on crown land unless some other law states otherwise for the area.

Would this insurance be through a Gun Club? Hunting Club? What about home insurance?

I noticed that Silvercore does not offer insurance via their membership so that's out.

I'm also looking for a good club to go to with my son. We are in Surrey but are willing to drive about as far as Maple Ridge / Mission. Closer the better. Would like indoor for 22's and outdoor for 100m zeroing if possible.

Any advice appreciated.

dracb
12-07-2015, 06:57 PM
I assume any vendor of BC hunting licenses in the lower mainland could sell you a special area hunting license upon proof of a million dollars of liability insurance. Such insurance is a benefit of BCWF membership which also comes with some club memberships. You probably have this much liability insurance as part of your home owner's insurance - which will also work. Also you will need to buy a provincial hunting license.

The special area license has the notation that Mission has brought in new regulations as to the discharge of firearms which needs to be checked out with the Mission District CLerk. The Special area hunting license brochure:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2015.pdf

Shows most of the west side of Stave Lake as a no discharge area.

Steeleco
12-07-2015, 10:20 PM
FVSAHL is available from any good license retailer as well they should have the maps that are covered by the license.
Ridgedale has an indoor .22 as well as 200 yd outdoor range. Lots of trap and archery area too.

dougan
12-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Fvsahl is swaheally for bullshit money grab .

Busterpayton54
12-08-2015, 12:40 AM
Beyond 19ish on up there you are out of the mission distinct boundary and out of the special area as well. Coordinates are on the map.

Lugg
12-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Beyond 19ish on up there you are out of the mission distinct boundary and out of the special area as well. Coordinates are on the map.

This is exactly what I thought.

And we are not required to be a member of a club that provides liability insurance to shoot on crown land, correct?

Thanks.

Steeleco
12-08-2015, 12:16 PM
This is exactly what I thought.

And we are not required to be a member of a club that provides liability insurance to shoot on crown land, correct?

Thanks.

Correct, crown land isn't an issue

Lugg
12-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Correct, crown land isn't an issue

Thanks, that's what I thought.