PDA

View Full Version : He ran off, so what would be the best next move

Shikari300WSM
12-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Hey everyone. I'm out for my final hunt of the year. Trying to punch a mule tag.

(I'll give specifics on this hunt when I post up about my other ones)... So I am Out in region 3. This morning had a buck at 7:15 pop out and start feeding. It was still slightly too dark to count points but looking at him through the binos he was big. I just couldn't count 4. When I finally got a good angle on him a truck rounded the corner close to where I was sitting and he ran off. I tracked him in the fresh snow but lost him in a maze of new mule tracks. Pretty sure he was a 4 or bigger though. Very wide spread.

So I went back into the area this evening. Sprayed some doe estrus on some trees that he came out of. Sat and nothing.

Would you guys keep pounding this specific area in hopes of him hanging around and feeding in the same area (for example, same area tomorrow morning) where I saw him this morning or would you move on to somewhere else?

Lillypuff
12-06-2015, 07:01 PM
hang out in that area you might get a chance at him! good luck

tinhorse
12-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Sit tomorrow morning quietly and wait. Was he with does still? If not and there is good food at that spot, he will be back at some point. Could try a couple doe bleats as well. Might spark his interest. My guess is he will still be around though.

M.Dean
12-06-2015, 08:34 PM
A buck, or bull will travel miles upon miles at night, nose to the ground smelling for hot does, so it totally depends on if the does stick around that spot, he may too. I'd travel around that area looking for does, and maybe this cranker your after will be there playing with the hot ones! And as long as your out there hunting, you've got the same chances as the next guy in finding him, so yea, I'd go back to that area and keep looking, who knows? Good Luck!

Shikari300WSM
12-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Sit tomorrow morning quietly and wait. Was he with does still? If not and there is good food at that spot, he will be back at some point. Could try a couple doe bleats as well. Might spark his interest. My guess is he will still be around though.

There were no does with him but a ton of tracks around. I sprayed a bunch of estrous scent in places so I'm hoping it keeps him around for the evening. I have the triple threat whitetail deer call by primos. do you think that would work for mule deer?

Shikari300WSM
12-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Appreciate the other responses gents. I'm hoping to see him in the morning. He seemed to be feeding there and probably would have stayed if the truck hadn't scared him off.

Daybreak
12-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Isn't that usually the way it happens eh. Sometimes it can work in your favour but not too often. I'd get in there really early and just sit. Good luck.

Ferenc
12-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Sounds like the area has a lot of sign , you mention a maze of tracks .. How did the Muley run off.. Did he trot or did he do a stiff legged bounce... If he just trotted away I would say he wasn't too alarmed...if he did that latter.. He may travel for quite some distance before settling down..

Shikari300WSM
12-07-2015, 01:38 PM
He trotted to the top of the hill. Then a couple bounces and it looks like he started trotting again, but by then he had already hit all the tracks so I lost his trail

hawk-i
12-07-2015, 01:48 PM
If you don't get him this year, he'll be using the same area next year if he survives the winter.

Husky7mm
12-07-2015, 04:03 PM
A buck, or bull will travel miles upon miles at night, nose to the ground smelling for hot does, so it totally depends on if the does stick around that spot, he may too. I'd travel around that area looking for does, and maybe this cranker your after will be there playing with the hot ones! And as long as your out there hunting, you've got the same chances as the next guy in finding him, so yea, I'd go back to that area and keep looking, who knows? Good Luck!

This, find the does or the heaviest amount of doe sign. Over time you will be able to track a big buck through a maze of tracks by, the age, the size, the lenght of stride. Also bucks with wide horns have to go around trees that are close together not through or under them. They are not to hard to track if they dont have to much of a head start. You need to loop down wind of the track and return every now and then to confirm the direction of travel. If he wanders alot he is looking to bed. He will circle down wind of his track to bed, to be able to smell if danger has followed be ready for a quick shot. Bucks will often skirt the downwind side of cut blocks to check does and their tracks without actually going out in the open to do it. If you know of such a place close by you can take a chance and get there quick to intercept. If jump/spook a buck and I know his track is hot it is not the end but merely the begining of what could be a great day.

Shikari300WSM
12-07-2015, 09:15 PM
That's some beauty advise husky. And to everyone else it's all much appreciated. I know that since the rut is pretty much over with the odd doe coming into heat, the bucks are trying to pack on the pounds.

What are they most likely eating now? Snows covered the ground about a foot where I'm hunting. The rest is conifers and just general brush.

I haven't seen the buck since yesterday morning. Not there today at all. Hoping with some doe scent he will be in the area tomorrow. Will they eat the brush that's around above snow level or are they eat something else?

Ferenc
12-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Have you found any beds in the area... Where they eat now will now center around their bedding sites and limit their movements.. He may have 3 or 4 bedding sites and he will be eating his way from one to the other... Less than 200 square yards... I would start to look for beds... Then you'll figure out where he may feeding

Shikari300WSM
12-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Have you found any beds in the area... Where they eat now will now center around their bedding sites and limit their movements.. He may have 3 or 4 bedding sites and he will be eating his way from one to the other... Less than 200 square yards... I would start to look for beds... Then you'll figure out where he may feeding

No bed found yet my friend. I have an idea of one of his beds but no confirmation. I have to assume that if he came out to feed super early he must have be bedding in the timbers along the cut.

Husky7mm
12-07-2015, 11:17 PM
They are browsing, still a bit of rutting going on. The story is told in the snow as to whats going on. You need to go everyday or you will be starting from fresh each trip and you will be at a disadvantage.

tinhorse
12-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Any luck today?

hunter1947
12-09-2015, 06:26 AM
If me stick stay and make it pay yes I would return to where you saw this big buck you know he is there he won't be far away..

.308SLAYER
12-09-2015, 06:39 AM
I seen 4 really nice bucks all def 4 points one was a 5 between nov 25 and dec 3 all seemed pretty hot and heavy all with groups of does...the one i believe was one of the biggest bucks ive seen while out hunting i seen frame size but didnt get a really good look he was big all in region 8. Is the main rut always that long after season closes or is it just a wonky year?? Two of the bucks i seen were both nice boys and were with does like a km apart