PDA

View Full Version : just the basics

SeaScene
12-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Looking to buy a minimal whistles and bells compound bow .....biggest game to be blacktails. Thanks in advance for your experience with such or opinions. Looked at some on line which appear incredibly gadget like but I am sure the advanced shooters appreciate. For me just want the basics.

allan
12-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Look for an archery shop close to where you live, try and handle/draw as many bows as you can and if possible buy a ready to hunt package from them.
some will argue you will want to upgrade to better parts soon enough but if you don't know what you want/need it's a good place to start.
A good local bow shop will be able to answer all your question and help you with tuning if you buy from them.
You can find online deals for cheaper but the headache of fixing tuning your bow ect will prove to be frustrating.

jconn
12-06-2015, 03:03 PM
This was my first season hunting. I picked up my first bow in the summer and got my first buck on September 4 during bow season.

I live in Vancouver and ended up going to Boorman archery because it was close to home and seemed reputable. It was a great experience, I did an hour lesson with them which helped me get some initial pointers and they set me up with my first bow.

I ended up getting the PSE Stinger X ready to shoot package in 60lb draw. Getting everything as a package might be looked down upon by more knowledgeable archers but I found it to be great. My thinking was that it would be a guaranteed adequate setup and I could use it right away and then decide for myself if anything felt like it was holding me back.

The bow shot great right away, all the accessories worked as advertised, and since I've never tried a more expensive bow, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

In the field, I've only shot the one animal with it. I was using G5 montec broadheads and got a clean passthrough at 20 yards, deer was down within 5 yards of where I hit him.

Just my experience with a relatively inexpensive setup, I'm sure more experienced archers can give some opinions.

SeaScene
12-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys and congrats jconn on your successful hunt. So far I gather that compounds need a good level attention... Re tuning etc. I used to hunt with a recurv 20 yrs ago. Since just blactails on the menu and simplicity important may look at those as well. Backpacking a compound is probably most convenient. Must have ease of back pack.... Thanks

jconn
12-06-2015, 09:30 PM
One thing I gather with regards to tuning is that a single cam bow is much easier to deal with. Far less mechanically complex.

I use the primos neoprene bow sling while hiking which also offers some degree of protection for the string and cam. I still try to carry the bow in hand when I think I might encounter game though as it takes a good bit of movement to get the bow out of the sling.

Again, hopefully someone who has more expertise will chime in. Just speaking as a fellow compound bow newbie.

monasheemountainman
12-06-2015, 09:39 PM
How much do you want to spend is the question.

SeaScene
12-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Going recurve as of a re think. $300 range. Saw a take down at wholesale Nanaimo on line $150. But gotta wonder what you get for that price.

dustybeat
12-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Just starting this season myself. I picked up a diamond infiniti edge by bowtech. Comes as a complete package for as low as $350 (canadian tire had a sale right after I purchase mine for $400). Adjustable from 5#-70#

dustybeat
12-07-2015, 10:49 PM
I also purchase around the same time. A samaich sage takedown recurve for my girlfriend in 30# but picked up 50# limbs online

SeaScene
12-08-2015, 05:01 PM
I also purchase around the same time. A samaich sage takedown recurve for my girlfriend in 30# but picked up 50# limbs online
Just checked it out on line and looks like decent quality...has good reviews.

SeaScene
12-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Ok... so ordered the 55lb Samick Sage. Anyone shooting this range of recurve bow, what do you recommend for accessories.... arrow stiffness etc. My object is BlackTail...

... thanks for the posts above...
good hunting

knockturnal
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
55 lbs is a lot of weight for someone that hasent shot in a while.

NorBC
12-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Make sure you order a fast flight string for it. It will make it shoot as good as a checkmate. I would order some softer limbs as well. Don't want to over bow yourself right out of the gate. Probably go with something around 400 for a spine. Have a saw, some hot melt, and pack of 100 gr inserts on hand as you'll be doing a lot of cutting until you make it fly good and straight.

tailgate77
12-15-2015, 07:44 AM
I have the Sage. I feel like it is a very capable weapon. Hard to go wrong at the price too. I also have the 55lb one, but would like some lighter limbs since I have a goofy right shoulder, but don't find 55 hard to draw when it isn't acting up. Arrows were 500 spine, have since switched to wood. I added a bow quiver from Vantage Point Outfitters and some camo tape to the black limbs, plus some string silencers. I didn't shoot any critters with it yet as I was mostly packing my yew selfbow. That is another option if you want minimal. Build one!

SeaScene
12-17-2015, 10:31 PM
I have the Sage. I feel like it is a very capable weapon. Hard to go wrong at the price too. I also have the 55lb one, but would like some lighter limbs since I have a goofy right shoulder, but don't find 55 hard to draw when it isn't acting up. Arrows were 500 spine, have since switched to wood. I added a bow quiver from Vantage Point Outfitters and some camo tape to the black limbs, plus some string silencers. I didn't shoot any critters with it yet as I was mostly packing my yew selfbow. That is another option if you want minimal. Build one!

Thanks T77 for info. Regarding spine, the chart I read for carbon showed 340 spine. I purchased one arrow and 25 grain target head just for trial. I have not tried it yet but will let you know. The spine chart (Easton I believe) indicated 340 to 400 spine. I used to hunt whitetails in Ontario 20 years back with 50 lb recurve tree standing in old apple orchards. Looking forward to hunting the old way again. Took 2 bucks this year with 3006 and is just not the same hunting experience. Good hunting...

tailgate77
12-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Your welcome. I used 125 grain heads with the 500 spine. Depends on your draw length too. Have fun re-learning to shoot arrows the traditional way!