PDA

View Full Version : Hunting around Atlin

heybert
12-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I wanted to get some info and/or insight about hunting moose around Atlin (6-25). My father is getting up there in age (74 next year) and his hunting buddies are slowly disappearing. One of his buddies moved to Atlin and wanted my dad to come up next September to go hunt.

My brother and I will be the young ones (47 and 48). So we'll be tasked with making the hunt doable for my father and his buddies ( overall, 3 old guys). We've hunted the Okanagan, Quesnel, Mcbride, Pink, Princeton, and VI. Have never hunted way up north. So, here's some of my questions:

-any cabins to rent up there?
-are quads useful?
-what type of weather to expect during late September/early October
-are the forestry roads manageable with a 4X4?

I probably will have more questions as time goes, but figure this should be a start.

Thank you in advance.

Elbert

Sofa King
12-06-2015, 05:35 PM
forestry roads?
you're going to atlin, not prince george.
it's more like being in the yukon than being in bc, it just happens to actually be on the bc side of the border though.

weather will be cooling already.
could have snow even.

definitely quads are useful.

Alfonz
12-06-2015, 07:33 PM
I wanted to get some info and/or insight about hunting moose around Atlin (6-25). My father is getting up there in age (74 next year) and his hunting buddies are slowly disappearing. One of his buddies moved to Atlin and wanted my dad to come up next September to go hunt.

My brother and I will be the young ones (47 and 48). So we'll be tasked with making the hunt doable for my father and his buddies ( overall, 3 old guys). We've hunted the Okanagan, Quesnel, Mcbride, Pink, Princeton, and VI. Have never hunted way up north. So, here's some of my questions:

-any cabins to rent up there?
-are quads useful?
-what type of weather to expect during late September/early October
-are the forestry roads manageable with a 4X4?

I probably will have more questions as time goes, but figure this should be a start.

Thank you in advance.

Elbert

There are some areas that full of old exploration roads mostly to the east of Atlin. I'm not sure about the cabins but I have heard of some. I hunted moose and caribou up there on a quad and got both and used a quad to retrieve both. The roads I was on you could take a truck. All of that said I should included that it was twenty years ago when I hunted there and it was in late August.

Al

12-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Enjoyed a moose/g-bear/sheep hunt there a few years back, actually the area around Gladys lake.... as mentioned the road system isn't as extensive as other parts of the province but the back roads we traveled where is good shape with a hard base, easy with a 4x4. Should be able to find accommodations if you check out http://www.discoveratlin.com/. We stayed at the Brewery Bay Chalet........can't say enough great things about the staff and how we were treated. Make sure you have a good camera, they aren't lying when they say the Atlin area is referred to as the Serengeti of the north, its beautiful country. Can't help with the weather as we were there for the late season, in fact we left with our moose on board one storm ahead of serious winter. Did talk to few of the locals who said it was busy during the early part of the general opening.........good luck and enjoy the scenery!

Sofa King
12-06-2015, 10:40 PM
There are some areas that full of old exploration roads mostly to the east of Atlin. I'm not sure about the cabins but I have heard of some. I hunted moose and caribou up there on a quad and got both and used a quad to retrieve both. The roads I was on you could take a truck. All of that said I should included that it was twenty years ago when I hunted there and it was in late August.

Al

it's the north.
nothing much changes in 20 years.
hell, i go back up there and everything still looks like it did back in the 80's.

Husky7mm
12-07-2015, 09:37 AM
I have never been but I say giver, 1/2 the fun is going somewhere new. I love wondering whats around the next corner or over the next ridge. If you have someone that wants to go and a connection already, all the better. Life is to short, I fondly remember every new trip, and cant wait for the next one.

Big Lew
12-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Keep asking questions...you might have to book accommodations well in advance depending
on what's going on at the time if your Dad's buddy hasn't enough room. There's been an
upswing in mining and exploration the last few years. That being said, I would heed any
signs or warnings about traveling in their area, especially if accessing roads by boat. There's
lots of interesting moose habitant along the east side though.

Cat catcher
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM
What's your dad's buddy,s name?
i live in atlin

heybert
12-08-2015, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the info. Keep 'em coming.
Instead of renting a cabin, I was also thinking about possibly setting up a wall tent or bring a travel trailer. Again, I'm used to heading up an FSR and camp at a location where we have access to water and firewood. Some years, we used a tent, others, we used a travel trailer. Would it be similar up there?

boxhitch
12-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Lots of spots to pull over and set up a camp , but almost nothing for established campsites. If you can, set up at a higher elevation on a side road and you won't have to drive/quad far, not so good for a trailer.
The area has a network of mining and exploration trails, old and new, some wider than others, many that run above the low tree line. Its easy to spot game that you can't get to in the same day......... or two.
Lots of 400m road closures during the moose rut, pay attention to the maps in the regs. Caribou , sheep and griz are all leh.
Have always wanted to hunt the west side of Atlin Lake since I first saw it , maybe next life.

Cat catcher
12-08-2015, 06:52 PM
It is pretty nice country on the west side of the lake, there is a 1000m closure from the shoreline, but if your not afraid to walk it can be fun.

boxhitch
12-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Cc , ever heard of or seen the Hotel California cabin ? Stumbled on it one day.

Cat catcher
12-09-2015, 08:22 PM
What general area is it, I came across some the old timers call honeymoon cabins