PDA

View Full Version : Labrador breeders

hunter fisher
12-05-2015, 12:14 PM
anyone know of any good lab breeders in the lower mainland? my google search only found a few and they were all $1400+, seemed a little steep

pnbrock
12-05-2015, 01:04 PM
sounds about right for a well bred lab!

BiG Boar
12-05-2015, 01:25 PM
There are some good mixed pedigrees on Craigslist for a lot less than that. Hold out, you'll find one. A dog is a dog is a dog. You should look at a shelter to possibly adopt.

Foxton Gundogs
12-05-2015, 02:14 PM
$1200-$1600 is par for the course for a good lab. You can buy one for less but you get what you pay for. Sure you MAY be lucky and get a good one from unknown blood lines BUT with all the hereditary problems cropping up your vet bills may far outweigh the purchase(or the results may be worse). Reputable breeder will do all the pertinent health check and certs. If you want a hunting dog make sure the sire and dam are working dogs as well. Here are some things you should look for in a breeder. As also mentioned do your research, Be sure ALL the appropriate tests are done and both parents are CERTIFIED CLEAR of the following(which has been previously posted in another thread)

Have both parents been OFA certified for hips good or better?

Have both parents been OFA certified elbows clear?

Have both parents been tested for CNM and EIC?

Have both parents been tested for for hereditary eye disease?

All Labs are awesome but this is no reason to recommend a breeder unless ALL the above testing has been done. Has it?????

And guaranties are clear and in place.
lf you are looking for a working dog, look for the titles FC, AFC, CFC, NFC, NAFC, CNFC, SH, MH in the sire and dam's pedigree. The title CH is a conformation title and means virtually nothing in a working dog
A puppy is a lifetime commitment, make sure it's a long and healthy lifetime. Good luck in your search and enjoy the ride

RustyBrit
12-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Yup we got our Lab this spring for $1200 so sounds about right. It was quite interesting to see how many breeders stop emailing you back or calling you back once you start asking any questions about health clearances. And these ARE the places still charging $800-$1200. Do some online looking around the province, lots of good lab breeders depending on your lifestyle (IE American field energy bombs or english couch potatoes). Remember from the lower mainland you can drive to any major city and back in a day which is a pretty small sacrifice for a good healthy dog. We drove from the island to Prince George and back to get ours and it was a piece of cake and worth the drive for a breeder who communicated great and had all the paperwork to back her pups up.

Foxton Gundogs
12-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Don't be afraid of buying a pup long distance if you do your homework in the breeder and sire and dam. We ship pups all over North America as do most reputable breeders. You shouldn't have to confine your search to the LML only. Kinderdogen, BC Gamebirds and JimSue on HBC, Cedarbrae in Nanaimo, Big Valley in Enderby and Traynor Labradors in 150 Mile house are justa few I would deal with in a heartbeat.

ACB
12-05-2015, 07:44 PM
anyone know of any good lab breeders in the lower mainland? my google search only found a few and they were all $1400+, seemed a little steep
Have a look at Prairie Storm Kennels web site out in Saskatoon, I bought a puppy from them out of Cruiser and a female they no longer breed. He's 2 1/2 now and he's turning out to be a pretty good waterfowl dog and starting to come into his own as a pheasant dog on wild pheasants out in Alberta this year. I have no problem recommending them. I think their puppy's are about $1200 now.

Elkchaser
12-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Will only speak to what I know. We have our fourth from Cedarbrae lines out of lady smith. They hunt and show their dogs - all around solid dogs and good folks. She is a vet and they take their clearances very seriously. Contract guarantee should something happen (inherited) up to age 2 I believe. Don't know what your looking for but in testing litters for my needs I've found they've had good working litters with pups showing excellent trainability traits. Really matters who the sire and dam are - do your homework and take your time. If you have to wait for the right breeding, so be it, it is so worth it. Reputable breeders work hard to produce sound pups... Your not just paying for a pup, but rather the product of many generations of planned breedings. Good luck - getting a new pup is just awesome!

silvertip0260
12-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Ness Lake Retrievers out of Prince George. As good as they come

Foxton Gundogs
12-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Will only speak to what I know. We have our fourth from Cedarbrae lines out of lady smith. They hunt and show their dogs - all around solid dogs and good folks. She is a vet and they take their clearances very seriously. Contract guarantee should something happen (inherited) up to age 2 I believe. Don't know what your looking for but in testing litters for my needs I've found they've had good working litters with pups showing excellent trainability traits. Really matters who the sire and dam are - do your homework and take your time. If you have to wait for the right breeding, so be it, it is so worth it. Reputable breeders work hard to produce sound pups... Your not just paying for a pup, but rather the product of many generations of planned breedings. Good luck - getting a new pup is just awesome!

Yep I have known Tracy for years, she is my vet and a good friend. Top notch breeder with great dogs.

hunter fisher
12-06-2015, 08:00 AM
thanks for the info here and the pm's guys. looks like i have some research to get on! ill let everyone know how it turns out

Cedar Cowgirl
12-06-2015, 11:10 AM
As was already mentioned, doing the research on the sire/dam's health clearances and working ability and the breeders reputation is of utmost importance. Good luck with your search

bandit
12-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Yep I have known Tracy for years, she is my vet and a good friend. Top notch breeder with great dogs.

I have known her husband Jim for several years. Really top guy can't say enough good things about him.

lorneparker1
12-06-2015, 09:51 PM
I have a Prairestorm girl. She is 1 year old and has a few hundred retrieves this fall already. She earned her Junior hunter and working certificate at 7 and 8 months. I am excited to run her in derby Field trials this year.

I can speak to ceaderbrae labs. They have some nice dogs. A buddy has one and I have had the pleasure of watching their current protégé Nelson run a few tests. Very nice dogs.

Angus
12-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Ness Lake Retrievers out of Prince George. As good as they come

x 2 on Ness Lake

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Angus.JPG