PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 450

Wagonmaster
12-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Been thinking of getting an ATV for a few years now and always felt a Yamaha 450EPS would be what I would get. Not interested in speed or hard core riding, just want to travel logging roads while hunting and be able to get behind our southern Vancouver Island gates. Thought the 450 would be a little smaller and lighter than some of the bigger machines and would suit me fine. Looking online now and I'm beginning to wonder if they are still being made. No longer available? Any recommendations? Not in a big rush and could buy one on the mainland next spring. (I know these kinds of questions have probably been on here before, but my searches did not provide much help)

Daybreak
12-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Be advised that once you own one you will put greater demands on it than you anticipate. You will want to climb steeper grades and you will be carrying more gear at times then you considered. Having a quad opens up whole new activities and access. While 450 cc's will be good on fuel it may be lacking in the pull department. 500 cc's of Honda has treated me well however there are times when it does not have any power to spare.

Bugle M In
12-04-2015, 06:29 PM
One thing I like about the Honda is how quiet they are.
Yamy makes nice stuff too.
Daybreak has a point, but than other people, who do have a larger cc bike, that you don't need the extra cc.
But, how do they know? since they have the power already, and what if they did have a 450cc.
Depends what you use it for, just as an alternative to save gas on roads, than 450 is fine.
If you plan on hauling and going into extreme stuff, than more is better.
Just get one that is fuel injected, if they haven't all converted over yet.
That was the 1 advice that many say is well worth it.

fuzzybiscuit
12-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Yamaha quit making the Kodiak 350, 400, and 450 line for 2015. There is still a few kicking around dealers though.

randymac
12-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Yamaha 450 Kodiak is a great quad. Unless of course you have a small penis. then you will need something bigger.

.264winmag
12-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Been rocking a 300cc fourtrax for almost ten years. Although gutless it goes anywhere. Freezers' are always full. If it gets stuck pick it up and move it. If it won't climb it winch it up. Go for days on a tank. Never breaks down and I bag it. Point is, power and weight can be a hinderance IMO. I like big trucks and small quads, jmo.

JDR
12-04-2015, 07:05 PM
According to this article, Yamaha has eliminated its medium sized power plants for both Kodiak and Grizzly in favour of a 700 for both models.
http://www.atv.com/manufacturers/yamaha/2016-yamaha-kodiak-700-preview-2420.html
(http://www.atv.com/manufacturers/yamaha/2016-yamaha-kodiak-700-preview-2420.html)
Apparently, they can't compete price wise in the mid range. It's a real shame because I have a 2004 Kodiak 450 and love it. Great fuel economy and plenty o power. They are light enough that you can move them should you need to. I even used it to tow a full-sized, loaded utility trailer into the mountains.

tomahawk
12-04-2015, 09:11 PM
I have the quad your looking at, its the 2008 model. It does everything I ask of it. Hauled several bison, moose, rosie's, deer, bear out many times. I am able to get under and around obstacles that the big bikes are not able. All the bike I need and then some. I easi;ly haul 2 adults beside myself on the rear rack. No power issues.

TrickleCharger
12-04-2015, 09:41 PM
I have a 500, not a Yamaha but power has never been an issue while hunting or exploring even with a few hundred extra pounds on. If I felt like I needed to keep up to buddies on their 800s it might be an issue but luckily I don't. Wife has a 400 and although I haven't packed much weight with it it's a great machine, goes anywhere and easy to handle.

One downside to the newer fuel injected machines is not having the pull starters. A guy could always pack a spare battery I guess but having that pull start is a damn nice safety, just something to think about.

Bugle M In
12-04-2015, 10:54 PM
I have a 500, not a Yamaha but power has never been an issue while hunting or exploring even with a few hundred extra pounds on. If I felt like I needed to keep up to buddies on their 800s it might be an issue but luckily I don't. Wife has a 400 and although I haven't packed much weight with it it's a great machine, goes anywhere and easy to handle.

One downside to the newer fuel injected machines is not having the pull starters. A guy could always pack a spare battery I guess but having that pull start is a damn nice safety, just something to think about.

pull start...good point!
I have seen a few of my buddies with dead batteries, luckily the drive/hunt in pairs.
Just like the say about 4 wheel drives:
"4 wheel drives doesn't mean you won't get stuck, it just means you will get stuck further in the back country"
A dead battery would suck!

Daybreak
12-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Pull start would come in handy for sure. My Honda has been so reliable as far as cranking over I forgot it even has one.

Sleep Robber
12-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Had a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 450 Ultramatic, believe me, it was a solid machine with more than enough power. No need for anything bigger IMO.

hutch
12-04-2015, 11:28 PM
I run an 07 Kodak and all I've ever done is brake pads, still on the original battery . Pulls half a moose with a fat guy on the front rack

nelsonob1
12-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Ive had a Honda 350 since 2003. Never thought of changing it. Used a 650, 750 and 800. Always go back to my Honda. Light, quiet and always enough. You know what they say about guys needing more - well its because they have less.

Wagonmaster
12-05-2015, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice. Much appreciated.

Pioneerman
12-05-2015, 12:43 AM
Go with Yamaha, you can find a good used one for sure if you like. Very dependable, and reliable. I have never been stuck in the bush and I have 18 machines and different brands including 3 three wheelers and two argos. Of all the machines nothing has been more reliable than the Grizzly , I have had the 600 , 660 and now the 700, can't find a better built machine. And for all these #$% who think you only get larger machine because of feeling inadequate as a man , give your head a shake. More power will use more fuel yes, but not much over a day. In the old days my 3 wheel honda would get 50 mpg, which was incredible, then first 4x4 honda was down to 35 mpg I get mid 20's now, but far better ride smooth and more than enough power. Make sure you get something with hi / lo range, some did not have that, but most do. Because if you are in mud and sludge over your wheels then the power to spin and move forward will be all worth it, and sometimes low range is not enough without the power.

ACE
12-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Ive had a Honda 350 since 2003. Never thought of changing it. Used a 650, 750 and 800. Always go back to my Honda. Light, quiet and always enough ................
Bought a '90 Honda 350 4Trax new ...... still riding it. Has been a dependable hunting 'workhorse' ..... has a kickstart back-up.
Also have a '99 Honda 450S Foreman ....... good machine, comfortable, and dependable hunting-pleasure 'workhorse' ...... pull start back-up.

Honda's are 'gear drive' units ........ belts are for holding your pants up. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

BradC
12-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Can't beat Yamaha! My dad's got a 05 Kodiak 450 he bought it new it's got 7800 km on it, still original battery. Never had any issues, and never hooked up to a battery tender. My grandpa has an 04 with 13000 km. Something to keep in mind is there was only a 9 lb difference in weight (dry) between the Kodiak 450 and the Grizzly 700. I'm pretty sure Yamaha makes a grizzly 550 now, pretty sure it's the Kodiak frame. All depends what you want/need. I'll keep riding my Yamaha yfz450 for now, I know where there's a Kodiak if I need it :)

longwalk
12-05-2015, 08:20 AM
If I was in the market for a new ATV, I would be looking at the Honda Pioneer 500. Going to cost fairly close to a new mid size quad, be close in width with the ability to carry two passengers comfortably. Also get a large storage area on the back.

boblly1
12-05-2015, 08:22 AM
on flat ground the 450 may be ok but on hill with 250+guy on the seat like me may not be quite enough ponies

Frango
12-05-2015, 10:58 AM
One thing to keep in mind about pull starts. Some don't have them but just about all manufactures have pull start kits..

snakeplain
12-05-2015, 11:34 AM
buy yourself a honda 420, independant suspension, power steering, fuel injection, you will love it, great machine, fun to drive, good luck!

lenardobc
12-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Havin had 07 660 yamaha and 05 450 kodiak. Both awesome machines. Selectable 4x4 and diff lock, pull starts as well, the 450 was cheaper on fuel, got around more places than the 660. No power issues at all with the 450. Then i went sxs and thigs got pricey. Im back to a bike again but if i did it again it would be the yamaha 450. Awesome machines.

russm
12-05-2015, 11:45 AM
My dad has a 450 kodiak and a 300 honda fourtrax that i use, the honda is a fairly small machine but its quiet, has full time 4wd and seems to go anywhere i want it to, its a bit of a pig on gas though. The kodiak is a much comfier ride, has a winch, bigger and better racks on it and has selectable 4wd. And oh yea the honda has a kick start and the kodiak has a pull start.

sled-fiend
12-05-2015, 04:00 PM
I've got a 2012 kodiak 450eps, love it. I bought both the 450 for the wife and an Outlander 1000 for myself at the same time. Long story short, I sold the outlander this past summer as I found myself hunting on the 450 and leaving the 1000 behind. My main hunting partner has a grizzly 700, the 450 will go anywhere that quad will and some places easier due to the smaller size.

Glenny
12-05-2015, 04:35 PM
If you get a used Kodiak 450 stay away from that doofus model they put out with the internal brake system. Just sold mine after putting out 1400.00 for a new rear end. (Which is where the rear back plates are, inside the Rear end as are the fronts in the front diff) All this because of a slightly seized brake cable that left the brakes engaged a slight bit. If you get one of these make sure the brakes are adjusted yearly. Brake plates (14 of them) and seals etc are 900.00. A new rear is 950.00 plus tac n labour. Beware what your buying. Not all guys are honest and make sure the goods they are selling are legit :mad::mad:

okas
12-05-2015, 05:18 PM
when all the way up over the years i have a can am 1000 ltd. fox air ride now ....way too much .... no more noisy belts for me... got a honda 420 in the trailer now and the can am is going to a new home when i have time to deal with it . I made the circle back with a honda again

bighornbob
12-05-2015, 08:58 PM
I bought a 2013 yamaha kodiak 450 (non EPS) and love it. I use it exactly as you mentioned you want it for and never had issues. I have pulled some steep grades over some distance and was more worried about flipping and never had issues of not enough power. Last summer I helped a friend who was building a cabin and I skidded full length Doug fir trees (no branches) through the forest to a landing to be peeled. The bigger ones (12") bases needed diff lock 4X4 to get it moving but once moving I switched out of diff lock and pulled the trees no problem.

Would not want to go any bigger, don't know what I would need a bigger machine for.

Bhb

dino
12-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Been thinking of getting an ATV for a few years now and always felt a Yamaha 450EPS would be what I would get. Not interested in speed or hard core riding, just want to travel logging roads while hunting and be able to get behind our southern Vancouver Island gates. Thought the 450 would be a little smaller and lighter than some of the bigger machines and would suit me fine. Looking online now and I'm beginning to wonder if they are still being made. No longer available? Any recommendations? Not in a big rush and could buy one on the mainland next spring. (I know these kinds of questions have probably been on here before, but my searches did not provide much help)

First of all buying the yamaha is a great start, I sold one of my 450's to buy the 700 and regret it. bar none the 450 has lots of power and is fuel efficient. more and more people out there realizing it also, I hardly ever ride the 700 any more because the 450 is more manoeuvrable, better fuel economy and a way more user friendly machine.

SPEYMAN
12-05-2015, 11:31 PM
The difference between a 700cc and a 300cc ATV made by any manufacturer is speed. Bigger cc goes faster on the straight away. Smaller cc ATVs have a different gear ratio and will go anywhere a larger ATV will go. ATVs, like 4x4s, get stuck when they are high centered. Larger machines weigh more and are harder to move around by muscle power. In the ATV game, size really doesn't matter.

Timberjack
12-06-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm a yammy fan, and also a fan of mid-sized quads, but remember if you ever want to run tracks, the 450 won't be enough power... Otherwise it'll be fine for anything.

TJ

ACE
12-06-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm a yammy fan, and also a fan of mid-sized quads, but remember if you ever want to run tracks, the 450 won't be enough power... Otherwise it'll be fine for anything.

TJ

Agree .... a 400-450 will be all that's needed ......

dino
12-06-2015, 09:03 AM

TJ
I bought the 700 for tracks and still find it under powered.

frenchbar
12-06-2015, 09:06 AM
I had a 450 Kodiak 2007 from new ..never a problem !!

Jetboat
12-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Bought a new 450 Kodiak in 03 and it brought out quite a few moose. We added a 700 Grizzly in 2012 so the wife & I both have a quad. We use them daily here on the farm, weather permitting. You won't go wrong with a Kodiak 450 for your intended use.

.308SLAYER
12-06-2015, 06:17 PM
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r490/curtisfleming/Mobile%20Uploads/20150502_145250_zpsgvsebrdn.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/curtisfleming/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150502_145250_zpsgvsebrdn.jpg.html)URL=http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/curtisfleming/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Pics_zpsmkbjievr.jpeg.html]http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r490/curtisfleming/Mobile%20Uploads/Pics_zpsmkbjievr.jpeg[/URL]
Picked this up this year 3000 absolutely mint condition no scratches anywhere changed the oil and front and rear diff fluid doesnt miss a beat drug out a few animals already no problem...found a 5 point elk shed on my first ride out in the spring pic above amazing quad worth every penny if its anywhere as solid as my honda i had i think it will last a long time

SPEYMAN
12-06-2015, 11:07 PM
There should be a hose that fits on the vent of your gas cap and is long enough to be reach under your handle bars. FYI.

Husky7mm
12-07-2015, 09:08 AM
The 450 is a fine choice, it will do almost anything. A friendly tip is to not put oversize tires on it as it will reduce your fuel range and power for the hills in hi range. Just up grade to better grips. A 450 can usually pull an elk or moose in low range on easy ground but the grizzly, 660 or 700 can do it on almost any ground. For the last few years there is no pull start on the 450. The 550 is in the grizzly frame, so big atv with less power than the 700, I dont knoe where it ever fit in the market, I am sure it is a fine ATV though. As far as honda goes they are very reliable but their ride is punishing if you ride them day after day. I sit on my yamaha on most things you have to stand for while riding a honda. Traction from independent suspension is also superior.
As far as running tracks I would consider 650 cc about the minimum for power and never with an automotive style automatic (honda). Tracks are a pile of fun and really add joy to the winter but they also really work your machine and burn a pile of fuel. Something to consider. I have had a yamaha 400, 450, 660 and 700 and I really enjoy the big power, once you get used to how tippy a grizzly initially feels its hard to beat them. I can haul all 1/4s of a moose and rack in one trip on a grizzly.

DANOSON
12-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Purchased 450 eps from spectra sports in williams lake on my way through heading moose hunting. Found them to be the cheapest around for bare bones machine saving over $1000 from vancouver island. Pulled moose with it no problem had no problems and have put on over 3000 k in 2 years. Gets my vote and the eps makes the difference. My 2 cents.

.308SLAYER
12-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Yes, i wish i had the electric power steering next quad that will be a must it was too good of a deal to refuse was almost gonna go for bran new but for the price difference of 10k i settled with no eps i couldnt justify it. If you can definetly try to get one with power steering they're amazing

Rob Chipman
12-07-2015, 01:12 PM
I bought a Yamaha 400 with a winch. I'm not that big (175 lbs) but I've loaded it with gear, me and my wife and it's done the job. I've loaded it with 2 cut up moose and been happy. I'm not sure it would pull a whole moose out of a hole with the winch, but like I say, it's made the lat part of packing out of the mountains a lot easier.

Also, smaller quad is easier to fit in the back of the truck.

If you're driving slow and taking it easy a small quad is fine. If you want to rip it up on the gravel roads you might want some more horses.

korey09
12-07-2015, 03:33 PM
I have owned my 08 Kodiak since new and it is a awesome rig. I prefer the smaller quads for getting around and threw the tight spots. Throw some decent tires and a winch on it and away you go! Had to replace a rear diff seal last year, that's been it for parts so far. $20 part and a couple hours of my time. Pretty good for all the abuse i have put it threw! Would differently recommend the yamaha 450

hawk-i
12-07-2015, 05:37 PM
The only time you really may require a bigger ATV than a 400 is if you are going to put tracks on it or if you want to beat your buddy back to camp for the last remaining beer.:)