PDA

View Full Version : Painful, beside myself

campking
12-04-2015, 08:23 AM
I have read posts from other members regarding having to put your pet down and knew it must be really tough and to be honest I dreaded the day that we would need to put my"Chilko" or my boy as I like to call him down.

He is a Duck Toller and is almost 13 years old and we have had him from 8 weeks old, he has been having problems with his hind legs for a while now but he was always comfortable just getting a little worse lately, yesterday we went for our walk no problem and he managed the stairs ok, this morning his legs just gave out he cant even get up off the floor such a drastic change from yesterday.

I know in my heart it is time and I am a total wreck just waiting for the Vet to open, god this is painful I never thought it would hit me this hard.

jessonml
12-04-2015, 08:37 AM
From one Duck Toller owner to another, I wish you the best in this extremely difficult time. My boy is 7 so I don't have personal experience with what you are going through but I can only imagine.
Matt

Island Idiots
Campking, I feel for you. I have done it more than I want to remember. I learn a little each time. We do what we must do, so our loved ones don't hurt anymore. We love our pets. Keep steadfast in knowing it is an act of love and you will overcome. If you can, do it at home. Keep the memorys alive.
Sorry for your impending loss.

ncurrie
My heart goes out to you. There is nothing that anyone can say to make it easier. Just know that you gave him the best life you possibly could and as pet owners it is our privellege to make sure they are not suffering. I almost lost my chocolate this week and it never gets easier just hang on to him as he goes, he knows how much he is loved.

Getbent
12-04-2015, 09:34 AM
That's tough man...been there as well...chin up and remember the good times.

Take care

OKsean
12-04-2015, 09:38 AM
I lost my beagle a month ago today. Came home to find him lying on the floor - gone. He was happy and playing in the yard that morning. Vet figures it was either a brain tumour or a stroke. Cherish the good memories, they will come to outweigh the sad ones in time, as I've already found.

12-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear. Dogs are like family

Iron Glove
12-04-2015, 09:52 AM
As a dog owner and as another Toller owner I feel for you, so sorry to hear.
Our "girl" just turned 13 and fortunately she is in pretty good health but at that age you know that the end is closer than the beginning.
I look at her every night, give her a big kiss and tell her how much I love her.
Hang in there, your dog has given you 13 wonderful years, all of which I'm sure Chilko has enjoyed too.

hunter1947
12-04-2015, 09:52 AM
It will hurt so bad in your mind and heart when a person has to put down one of the family members my condolences goes out to you and your family
members,,one good thing about all is your loved one will be with you in your mind and heart wherever you walk or sit on this beautiful planet we live on

(One OF the Hardest Drives You Ever Went On)

Xenomorph
12-04-2015, 10:08 AM
One of the best things I've heard is to be happy, you've been blessed with the years and the memories your friend gave you. You can't help it, they live faster, fuller, more complete and they burn faster than we do. At the end of the day all one can do is enjoy the time and keep his memory alive with the occasional tear of sadness and joy shed when the memories hit you hard.

Easy to say, hard to do. I've balled my eyes out for my favourite fish that passed never mind my dogs. I've had five of them that passed away and to every single one of them I felt something rip apart from my chest. You can't help it, those buggers get deep in there and they settle in for the years they give us, but at the end of the day they give us the joy and memories that make all worth it, eh?

Take care, all will be good.

Salty
12-04-2015, 10:25 AM
campking cherish the 13 years that you've had but I know very well there's no words, the dog could have lived a hundred and 13 years and it still doesn't get any easier. If it comes to that the decision is best to put Chilko down I'll just add that they've got it to a science compared to the days of old. Its a very peaceful process. I wish you and your family the best bro good luck with it.

boneswells
12-04-2015, 10:33 AM
campking, my shepard border collie X, named Bones had the same thing with his back legs, we watched him deteriorate quickly. It was very hard to see him with a fraction of the agility he had. It got to the point where he hated stairs and would whine on his bed at night, we tried supplements ect, with no effect besides some pain management. Out of love and respect we chose a random date on the calendar and when that day came we loaded up the family and down to the vet we went for the last time. My best friend and our first child died in my arms. I cried for about four days straight and still do sometimes . It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. We miss him so much still. Putting your dog down is hard but it gets to the point where their suffering and dignity takes precedent over the way you feel. So sorry to know what you are gonna go through. Hang in there.

albravo2
12-04-2015, 10:34 AM
So sorry. Wish there was something to say or do that would make it easier.

Bugle M In
12-04-2015, 11:14 AM
I have read posts from other members regarding having to put your pet down and knew it must be really tough and to be honest I dreaded the day that we would need to put my"Chilko" or my boy as I like to call him down.

He is a Duck Toller and is almost 13 years old and we have had him from 8 weeks old, he has been having problems with his hind legs for a while now but he was always comfortable just getting a little worse lately, yesterday we went for our walk no problem and he managed the stairs ok, this morning his legs just gave out he cant even get up off the floor such a drastic change from yesterday.

I know in my heart it is time and I am a total wreck just waiting for the Vet to open, god this is painful I never thought it would hit me this hard.

Sorry to hear....
I stopped owning dogs simply for the reason of what you are going thru now.
take care

okas
12-04-2015, 11:37 AM
i grew up on a farm so when it was time we went out to where we had the good times and i put my dog down did not dig a hole just let the body lay . i have a tear on my cheek remembering them as i loved them

Everett
12-04-2015, 01:21 PM
My heart goes out to you I put my boy bushmill down a year ago Oct 3rd one of the hardest things I have ever done. God I hate October 3rd.

doubled
12-04-2015, 01:39 PM
A part of owning an animal is seeing them off. Us animal owners know all to well what you are going through and it is not fun but rest assured, time heals and you will smile again when somebody talks about Chilko. There will be another "Chilko" so put your love and energy into that one.

sawmill
12-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Sorry to hear....
I stopped owning dogs simply for the reason of what you are going thru now.
take care

I never will stop having dogs.I had to put my good sweet Wiley down 4 years ago,held him in my arms as he passed.It took me an hour to drive the 15 minutes home,had to keep pulling over to cry.
I now have a crazy ass redbone-walker cross named Tick who is so smart I had to put child proof catches on all the kitchen cabinets. Got her as an 8 week old pup.She`s 4 years now. She adores me and I her.
I will always have a good big dog as long as I am able to care for one.One day my last great companion will take ME to the Vet. And that`s just fine by me.

rocksteady
12-04-2015, 06:00 PM
We have more wooden ash holders *urns* on our entertainment center than you can sake a stick at...

Hold on , let me count...

K... 9... dogs, cats, ferrets...

Part of the family. ..

If you don't want to hurt, don't get a pet...

Our last one was my "baby girl".... purebred female Rottie . ..she loved me more than anyone in the house... L had to have her put down because of a ruptured rumour on her pancreas at 4:30 one morning... stopped at 7-11, bought a 2 litre of Coke and mixed it with 3/4 of a bottle of Good Cuban rum to kill the hurt...

I still miss that dog... we were "life partners"... if there is an afterlife, I hope my baby girl is waiting for me... I still tear up when I see pics of her and I. ..

Daybreak
12-04-2015, 06:00 PM

My condolences to you.

It's my belief, others may differ, that you will meet again.

Chilko will be free of pain and he has run far ahead of you on his last earthly walk. He's enjoying the smells and sounds of the most beautiful meadow imaginable. He is free to bark and roam. He will be waiting patiently for your arrival when the two of you can share in the joy of long lost friends re-united.

Rest easy, for he had a great life and he left you knowing love.

rocksteady
12-04-2015, 06:11 PM
When I was away on courses, meetings or fires, I would call home. Wife would put me on speaker phone and as soon as my baby girl heard my voice she would run all over the house crying...

When I was home, she loved The Who. Any CSI show came on, with music from the Who she would sing her head off til the first commercial. ..

1/2 slam
12-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear this. I feel for you. I have one that's getting there. I'll have to make the same decision.

BCBUSHMONKEY
12-04-2015, 07:44 PM
I had to put my 15 yr old buddy down on tuesday, ****ing wrecked me. Just coming out of it tonight a bit, saw your post. It hits hard your right. They are the best, they are a family member and deserve to be grieved as such. Damn hard thing to do, I guess its the price we pay for the best times and the unconditional love. RIP to a constant and loyal friend and to your buddy as well.

Rattler
12-04-2015, 07:53 PM
So sorry to hear. I too am dreading having to put my 14yr old golden retriever down. Fortunately for me she still is in good health. Putting down my last golden retriever was just horrible.

nature girl
12-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Chilko sounded like a great member of your family. They are not only a pet but your best buddy will sit and listen to you and are a part of your family. You know you did the right thing. The next week will be a tough time in your house. You will wake up and expect Chilko to be there.
I had to put my cat down a year ago and I had him for 13 wonderfull years and I have a picture of him on my fridge every morning I go to the fridge put my hand on his picture and then take my hand to my heart. Those animals you sure can get attached to them.
Some people may say get another pet. I don't think I would ever get another cat. There are just some animals you can't replace.

Mulehahn
12-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Been 7 years since I last have last been through that. 7 years and 90 days to be precise. She was my first dog, not one that belonged to the family. Got her when I moved out. She was a tough dog. The toughest I had ever seen. She stole a dish off the counter while I was out and it smashed. She shredded her tongue licking it but when I got home she was happy as could be. Blood everywhere, tongue shredded but she was happy. She traveled everywhere with me. Was buy my side throughout university, lived in Prince George, Kamloops, Fort St. John, and everywhere in between. I had a job down on the coast so I would drop her off at my mom's for the day. I came home one day and for the first time in 14 years she wasn't there to greet me. My mom had taken her for a ride to the park and when she got out of the car she collapsed. My mom knew... Her last license is the only thing I have, or ever will have on my key ring besides keys.

I got my current dog when she was 4, she is 10 now and you can see that end is closer than the beginning. It is never east, but i would never trade one second of it for anyone or anything. Best of luck Campking.

whitlers
12-04-2015, 11:01 PM
I know the feeling. Put down my old dog 3 years ago at 14. She had a stroke and her legs were giving out on her and she could barely go to the bathroom. It is tough and I still think of her all the time. I find myself finally looking back on good memories and remembering that she is no longer suffering and shes finally free. I wish you the best. Please find peace in the fact that he/she will always be with you.

campking
12-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Thank you for all your kind words my boy is gone now, cant stop crying but at least he is out of his pain.

Salty
12-05-2015, 06:33 PM
You did him right campking. Very sorry for your loss all the best.

whitetail2009
12-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hear :( faithful companions will never be forgotten

bearvalley
12-05-2015, 07:01 PM
It's tough to part with an old friend. Sorry for your loss campking.

Roe
12-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Sorry for your loss. Have been there 5 times. Its been over a year since I lost my girl. Looking for a new love in the Spring. Enjoy your grief.

ducktoller
12-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Sorry for your loss camping. I dread the day our girl has to cross the rainbow bridge.

HeadingOutside
12-06-2015, 01:30 AM
I'm so sorry... I feel awful.
The only sin a dog commits is they pass before us.