PDA

View Full Version : A Little concerned

Husky7mm
05-13-2007, 07:57 PM
The last month or so walking around in the bush, scouting, shed hunting, etc.. I have observed some depressing discoveries. There are BONES EVERYWHERE, and also VERY FEW CALF ELK AND FAWNS. I am quite new to the east kootenays but I have never seen this in my 10 yrs of hunting. I didnt think we had that much snow, maby there are too many preditors.Hows the rest of the province?

Poguebilt
05-13-2007, 08:00 PM
I was out St. marry's today... saw a good sized skeleton while walking an older road.

I have seen a few in other places (areas remain nameless)

I think its just nature doin its thing around our parts....

Rubicon500
05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Havent Found to many for the amount ive been out. 1 booner 3 point that turned it self into a "hybrid" and tricked many folks on here LMAO and a shed out buck today.

300 wsm
05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
any luck with the elk in st marys last year we went out for a week their and on the last day shot two bulls but man they were hard to find with the pressure we saw we were camped up hell roaring at km 15 or so around sept 17

mark
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Ive been doing alot of hiking around the kelowna area, I havnt found any bones or evidence of any fresh winter kill. Im a little surprised actually as we had the worst winter in a long time!

BlacktailStalker
05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I've found 2 dead yearling blacktails and the remains of a third that couldnt be identified other than its lower jaw making it obvious it was a mature deer.

boxhitch
05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I haven't read much on this forum about wolves in the E. K. but hear elsewhere they may be getting out of hand in some areas. ???

Husky7mm
05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Elk dont winter in the st marys.
Expect MORE pressure next yr at 15 k up the hell roaring about sept 17. (DA)!:lol:

hunter1947
05-14-2007, 04:05 AM
I am a little concerned with the preditors on the increase in the EK ,in the last 5 years i have seen more wolf sign in there and also a few packs of wolfs that i never seen in the place i have hunted for years ,they the preditors are on the increase in areas in the EK :mad: hunter47.

Fisher-Dude
05-14-2007, 08:18 AM
I haven't read much on this forum about wolves in the E. K. but hear elsewhere they may be getting out of hand in some areas. ???

I've had them spoil many an elk hunt in the EK. They would howl when I bugled...what bull elk in its right mind would answer me in those conditions?? :mad:

boxhitch
05-14-2007, 08:09 PM
F-D, you need a Foxpro. Set it up, go to the other side of the bull, wolf call, and watch out for the freight train coming. (as if its that easy)

hunter1947
05-15-2007, 03:46 AM
I've had them spoil many an elk hunt in the EK. They would howl when I bugled...what bull elk in its right mind would answer me in those conditions?? :mad: Yes for sure ,i have had the same thing happen to me a few times ,you are working on getting a bull in and then the wolfs start giving it with there howling ,then you don't hear from the elk again after the wolfs have started up with there howling :mad: hunter47.

boxhitch
05-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Reg 4 - According to 2002 stats (all that is avail on govt site :() 43 wolves were killed by Resi, including trappers. Four were taken by non-res.

Fisher-Dude
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Reg 4 - According to 2002 stats (all that is avail on govt site :() 43 wolves were killed by Resi, including trappers. Four were taken by non-res.

My brother shot one there a few years back, came running in when he was cow-calling...measures 7 feet +. Beauty rug.

I lucked out in '02 when I shot my biggest bull...the night before, my partner almost popped a wolf right where I shot my bull, but he couldn't get a crack at it in the brush. I imagine my bull wouldn't have come wandering in to me with a wolf carcass there...nor would I be anywhere near it in grizz country.