PDA

View Full Version : Road kill

bigneily
12-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Quick question for those who know , But is a trapper the only one who can legally pick up grill kill ?. Thanx

finngun
12-03-2015, 07:14 PM
yes...huntin licence no good for that..:shock:....unless ya really fast..:tongue:

rocksteady
12-03-2015, 07:17 PM
For meat or antlers...???

Done both... no issues...

bigneily
12-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Was thinking of getting some to use for wolf/coyote bait .

rocksteady
12-03-2015, 07:26 PM
No issue til a CO catches you loading it up :)

scoutlt1
12-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Info is in the regs. Pages 91-92.
Yes, trapping license needed, "Trapper Road Kill PossessionReport Form" completed (filled out and sent in within 30 days of pick-up, and retained for two years), among other conditions....

Here's the link..... http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/trapping/docs/trapper_road_kill.pdf

rocksteady
12-03-2015, 07:33 PM
However, as usual it depends on "officer discretion " by the CO...

Some do not care, cause it's already dead, so not wildlife, but coyote food. .. call your local CO and see how he views it. ..

dougan
12-03-2015, 07:35 PM
However, as usual it depends on "officer discretion " by the CO...

Some do not care, cause it's already dead, so not wildlife, but coyote food. .. call your local CO and see how he views it. ..
So nine times out of ten your $ucked

rocksteady
12-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Depends on the CO... most are pretty agreeable...

rocksteady
12-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Believe it or not, but most CO'S are decent guys who will work with you, without fear of being ticketed out the Ying yang, as long as you are upfront and honest with them. .

Sorta like dealing with any LEO..

scoutlt1
12-03-2015, 07:54 PM
I hope you're not willing to take your chances getting pulled over/checked with a dead buck (that you picked up on the side of the road) in your trunk, and/or using it as coyote bait, and your planned "defense" is...."I heard it was ok to use as bait because some people on huntingbc said it was ok"....????

Have a read of the regs, and talk to a CO if it's not clear to you..... :)

Buckmeister
12-03-2015, 09:17 PM
I know of two instances where someone picked up roadkill.

The first, guy phones in to COS and they tell him to just pick it up and take it home, I think they butchered at home too.

The second, guy witnesses a deer getting taken out by vehicle in front of him. He sticks around. Police show up to write accident report for vehicle owner. The witness calls local CO and gets permission, also gets police officer to sign piece of paper says he has permission to take possession of dead deer.

In both cases, no extra paperwork was required.

M.Dean
12-03-2015, 10:09 PM
If the truth be known, I'd bet in a lot of the animal, truck kill's, the CO would sooner see someone pick the dead animal up and take it home, instead of it going totally to waste. BUT, if he drives all the way up to the accident scene and catches you loading up the critter, he pretty well has to do what the law demands, so quite simply don't get busted loading up the dead deer!

Xenomorph
12-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Two big deer early spring, two days apart. Early morning 5am on my way to work, no car around. Had to be in to support French customers out East. As I was driving along I kept thinking, man-o-man that was a big doe. What a waste!

Couple of days later, same place in West Vancouver, on West driving route, this time a couple of Happy-Photo-taking people on the side of the road taking pictures of a big buck on the side of the road. Both fresh kills, both probably wasted by the time they were called in and someone came to pick them up. That's when I read the regs and "LIGHTBULB" ...let's schedule that trapper training, get the license and be safe people. One can setup and old rusty freezer in a shed too, freeze the meat -if spoiled- and use it to bait some wolves, coyotes at least.

That's the plan anyway.

CaribooBC
12-03-2015, 10:38 PM
My wife killed a moose about 200 yards from our driveway. I phoned our local CO, asked what would happen with the meat. His response, " Do you want it?" Of course I said. He told me to take it, he would get me a permit the next morning. I had it skinned and in a walk in cooler within 6 hours. The CO phoned the permit # to the butcher, all was well!

Cyrus
12-03-2015, 11:23 PM
need a permit. its easy.

sawmill
12-04-2015, 05:36 PM
need a permit. its easy.

Yeah,if you can get somebody to answer the F`ing phone. Saw a buck get head smacked right in front of me,I dragged it off the Hiway and spent 4 hours trying to get a C.O. to talk to me. It ended up as raven food.

rocksteady
12-04-2015, 05:48 PM
You wanted him for a different reason Dirty Joe!!@