PDA

View Full Version : moose, caribou, goat, bear, northern BC??

wayne nicol
12-02-2015, 11:43 PM
my mate and i are experienced traditional bow hunters, but have never hunted in the north before,and we really want to take a trip into northern BC somewhere next year.
ideally looking for moose and/or caribou, Black bear might be an option,
1.we are not after trophys.
2. prepared to hike and spike camp- we are fully set up with all the gear
3.prepared to canoe and or fly in
4.time is flexible- date and duration
5. need to be over the counter tags, not LEH
6. and would like a reasonable chance of success- i know that is pretty vague- just wanting to get into an area where there is a good chance of seeing unpressured game
7. really happy to be in an isolated area if need be

we are not asking for something on a platter,we are more than prepared to do the legwork, and to research all avenues-
but any ideas, experiences or suggestions would be most appreciated

many thanks
wayne

two-feet
12-03-2015, 08:27 AM
There are only a few places to walk in for caribou in region 6 i think. Moose, bear and goat is much easier to access. Maybe focus your attention on one or two things, will help your case.

albravo2
12-03-2015, 08:42 AM
I've read on here that canoeing the Dease River can be good moose and it wouldn't be too far from home for you.

wayne nicol
12-03-2015, 09:43 AM
thanks guys.
i heard the dease gets hit pretty hard- i guess one can walk away from the river some- where the mainstream dont want to go.
i did look into it- looks like an easy set up and shuttle back to the vehicle. and it is a shorter trip from home- but even that is not too much of an issue.

we really dont mind walking-
moose would probably be our main objective.
something extra to make the trip all worthwhile would be awesome. deer or caribou etc

any ideas on the bear , moose and goat then?

we were looking into a fly in on the gataga/ketchika and then paddle out. just trying to find an alternative walk in type hunt.

thanks

dakoda62
12-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Have you of a "transporter" not be confused with a guide, to take you in on horseback?

wayne nicol
12-03-2015, 05:00 PM
sure- sounds like a good option- any ideas in particular you thinking of?

dakoda62
12-03-2015, 06:16 PM
It can run a bit pricey, but we have used an outfitter twice in the Tetsa river area, 10 day hunts, all supplied, all you need is personal gear. first year saw no one else for 10 days, second year saw 2 small pack strings come out. Some of the animal's there have never seen a human. We were seeing Moose daily plus a few deer. Goats and sheep are in the area, but our target was moose all shot within 80 yards.

dakoda62
12-03-2015, 07:20 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?98280-Hunt-of-a-lifetime-(story-and-pics)
some pics of our first trip

squamishhunter
12-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Damn well better pack heat, bow hunting or not.

dakoda62
12-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Agreed lots of Grizzlies up north, and not little ones.

BiG Boar
12-03-2015, 08:09 PM
call BC Yukon air, pick a couple lakes he'll suggest, then ask about ideal dates. Show up and kill some stuff. Personally I would try for moose, Sept 25-Oct 10, with trad gear you can call one in to shooting distance right on the lake. For spring black bears just drive up that road late May and shoot from the hwy to Dease with your bow.