PDA

View Full Version : Another poacher caught on kelly lake rd, 3 times in 2 weeks, pics included

Rickybooner
12-01-2015, 11:48 PM
so weekend before last I was watching a cow carcass for wolves at first light and I see this truck cruising down the road very slowly. I thought to myself here we go again. This is the third time in 2 weeks. Sure enough I see some deer in the field run up to the road and one of the 4 points that have been feeding in our fields all summer is standing on the road in the headlights. It ran across the road and then blam I see it drop. I could not tell if they shot it from the truck because all i could see was the drivers side. However it was right in front of one of our many no hunting or trespassing signs posted. Another full poach! I called the rapp line and they patched me through to the police. I went back to my place put my rifle away and got on my quad to go and confront them.I took a bunch of pictures of them and they tried to justify why they had shot it. things got heated and the police were on their way so I decided it was time to leave before things got physical. One of the other neighbors had showed up as well.
The week before two russian fellows pulled into our neighbors driveway and shot a buck. They quickly pulled out and drove back into town. he followed them from a distance into town and then they turned around and headed back to see if the coast was clear. After a few minutes they thought it was safe and pulled in to load the deer. He drove up and locked the gate penning them in until the police arrived. They got some hefty fines as well as were shooting towards the house and of course lost the deer.
The week before that another guy snuck onto our property and shot another buck again shooting back towards our barn. we heard the shot and the police were called again. He was caught as we
We are getting pretty fed up and mostly everyone in the valley has agreed to fully prosecute anyone caught. No hunting and no trespassing means just that. it is stuff like this that gives hunters a bad name. Fortunately most people are not this way but the few ruin it for all.
I am going to post pictures of anyone caught on here, hopefully this is okay but we are at wits end. I would like to know your opinions on this.
FYI I am a hunter but we do not shoot deer on our property we prefer to hunt them in the mountains where it is fair chase.

Sofa King
12-02-2015, 12:01 AM
good going.
total *******s the would do that, complete disregard for other's property and safety and complete disrespect to game.

Sofa King
12-02-2015, 12:04 AM
hope they get nailed hard.
that purty dodge should be gone as well as the quad and their guns, never to be returned.
auction them off and put the proceeds back into wildlife management, or better yet, put the proceeds toward funding for CO's.

Pioneerman
12-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Good for catching them. Where is this area or town located ? Why would the deer that wonder on your property not be fair chase, are they penned? If you had a section of land and they come and go, I doubt anyone would think you did not have a fair chase to hunt your own place if you choose to

Sofa King
12-02-2015, 12:21 AM
sure, it is still "fair-chase", but when they practically live in your front yard right out your window, it's not really challenging.

steveo
12-02-2015, 12:36 AM
I am assuming when you said " it ran across the road and then blam it dropped " , that the hunters shot it on posted private property and this was the infraction?

Rickybooner
12-02-2015, 08:03 AM
It is hardly fair chase when all summer they are in the field watching us change the irrigation pipe from 50 feet away and walking down our driveway eating on our lawn. They are not afraid of humans. After a few years the bucks will either be poached or hopefully wise up and head for the mountains. That is just our opinion and we are entitled to it.

Backwoods
12-02-2015, 08:15 AM
hope they get nailed hard.
that purty dodge should be gone as well as the quad and their guns, never to be returned.
auction them off and put the proceeds back into wildlife management, or better yet, put the proceeds toward funding for CO's.
That's how it should be!!! Hope they do too!

Backwoods
12-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Poaching is poaching, why is "fair-chase" even being mentioned in this thread haha

dirtymax
12-02-2015, 08:29 AM
The last few weeks I have been checking out one specific area where I've continuously seen does just waiting for the buck to show. Yesterday as we hiked in to get to the top we found 3 dead does shot. All the meat had been cut out leaving the head and skin. No other deer in sight all day. Decided to go checkout another spot 10 k up the road . Start hiking and within 20 ft another dead doe same story.. Region 2-19.

caddisguy
12-02-2015, 08:33 AM
They tried to justify why they shot it? How? Private property is private property.

Timbow
12-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Just curious, did they just load the deer with the guts still in? Looks like it.

BigfishCanada
12-02-2015, 09:15 AM
I am so sick of these guys shooting deer in areas like what you mention. We are getting so many goofs like this shoot and then say that they can or thought they were allowed. Even on my yard!!!!! Let alone the ranches. What did the CO do?

BRvalley
12-02-2015, 09:18 AM
glad to see poachers get caught

Ltbullken
12-02-2015, 09:38 AM
He hee heee..... DB's

hunterdon
12-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Great work. I have acreage also and have had similar experiences. While illegal hunting of any kind is not cool, the biggest beef I have is total disregard for the safety of others by discharging firearms near homes and work areas. I take great exception to shots fired towards my home and family. This to me is completely unacceptable and is definitely the greatest offence here.

BigfishCanada
12-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Great work. I have acreage also and have had similar experiences. While illegal hunting of any kind is not cool, the biggest beef I have is total disregard for the safety of others by discharging firearms near homes and work areas. I take great exception to shots fired towards my home and family. This to me is completely unacceptable and is definitely the greatest offence here.

Don, your comment is spot on, what the hell are people thinking when the have a rifle aimed near homes??????

Sharpish
12-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Is "poaching" the right term? Were they hunting out of season, ignoring age/antler/sex restrictions, pit lamping at night, or hunting without a license? Clearly you have to be an idiot to fire rifles in residential areas, but you mention you were hunting wolves over a cow carcass ... Were you protecting your livestock?

I'm not condoning their behaviour but sometimes it's not easy figuring out where private land begins and ends. As for signs, I've seen a hundred "no hunting" signs stapled to trees in hunting areas by people who don't like the idea of hunting, don't want to hear the noise, or otherwise think they are entitled to enforce their own laws. I can head down to home hardware and buy a dozen signs and put them up anywhere I want. And I know people that do.

I always respect a fence or "private property sign" and if there are homes within a half mile I keep driving even if there is a booner standing right there. I'd just like to hear a little more detail.

budismyhorse
12-02-2015, 10:22 AM
not a tonne of info so I'm going to guess the infraction would be shooting a deer on the road? They will plead they thought it was ok to shoot inside a road easement likely.

Also looks to me like they shot the deer before legal light? Those pics are pretty dim and that was well after the shot.

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 10:37 AM
couple of question but did they shoot the deer on private property? were they actually shooting at the dwelling? How many m do you have to be from the centerline of that road in the location they were at? Why wouldn't you wait till the police got there and made a statement? did you get the plate number of the quad that was on the road?? some things don't seem to be adding up http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96462_01 .

as Sharpish has said there are also people that post private property signs or no hunting signs on crown land because they don't like hunting as well as many people that don't like out of town hunters so they post the same knowing full well that it is crown and some will even go so far as to try to enforce what they want regardless of the law.

Fella
12-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Sounds like the guys were on private property when they shot the deer.

Popove
12-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Sounds like the boys did nothing wrong. Sounds like Your just mad they shot your four point you fed all summer. You have no proof that anything illegal was done. You didn't even see what you claim as poaching occur. I don't see any no hunting signs in any pictures.
Nothing worse than a guy who has 2 posts and one of them is accusing two people of poaching.
Pretty hardcore accusations for no proof. Grow up.

Cyrus
12-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Sounds like the boys did nothing wrong. Sounds like Your just mad they shot your four point you fed all summer. You have no proof that anything illegal was done. You didn't even see what you claim as poaching occur. I don't see any no hunting signs in any pictures.
Nothing worse than a guy who has 2 posts and one of them is accusing two people of poaching.

Land looks agricultural to me so it does not need to be posted, could be a sign, fence or even a house in that area out of the pic. You see guys loading a deer with the guts still in it and you don't think that is odd? Looks like they were trying to get out of there quick. With your attitude and these clowns actions its no wonder why land owners won't let hunters access their property. So just because a guy has 2 posts he must be lying?

skibum
12-02-2015, 11:15 AM
It is hardly fair chase when all summer they are in the field watching us change the irrigation pipe from 50 feet away and walking down our driveway eating on our lawn. They are not afraid of humans. After a few years the bucks will either be poached or hopefully wise up and head for the mountains. That is just our opinion and we are entitled to it.

Was the deer shot on private property? Just asking because I am not clear on this from your post if it was shot on private property, the road, or if the road is still your property? I would be pissed too of someone shooting onto my property.

Is this about fair chase or poaching?

Seems you are fond of the deer.

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Sounds like the guys were on private property when they shot the deer.

"It ran across the road and then blam I see it drop. I could not tell if they shot it from the truck because all i could see was the drivers side. However it was right in front of one of our many no hunting or trespassing signs posted. Another full poach"

well in one pic it looks to be lying in the ditch in other pictures there is a fence way far back barley visible and in none of the picture is there a fence or a sign anywhere near the deer or the men???? this is why im saying it doesn't add up . If it was on private property then sure call it in, stick around and wait till the police show up and press charges in accordance to the trespass act but if it turns out it is just someone that legally took a deer and it was between the roadway and the property and Joe local is pissed then its a waste of resources .

skibum
12-02-2015, 11:19 AM
You see guys loading a deer with the guts still in it and you don't think that is odd? Looks like they were trying to get out of there quick.

I thought that too at first, but then you get some dude harassing you.....

But this is a stupid thread with nothing substantiated happening except for a dead deer and an upset guy

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 11:22 AM
and someone getting their plate and faces splashed over the internet and labeled a poacher when they may not have actually done anything illegal and was never charged with an offence under any act.

hntcrazy
12-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Be careful - INNOCENT Till proven guilty people.

Lets not be the judges here ..
Were the cops called ? CO?

Popove
12-02-2015, 11:30 AM
The cops were called and said "let's see the rack". Un happy local. Typical.

Panic
12-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Are you one of the guys he accused? You seem pretty mad bro!

Xenomorph
12-02-2015, 11:32 AM
and someone getting their plate and faces splashed over the internet and labeled a poacher when they may not have actually done anything illegal and was never charged with an offence under any act.

If that's the case he has a clear libel course once the due process has completed and they've been exonerated of the charge, IF they even go there. I'd love to hear more details, and see what really happened.

Would be awesome if the person in pictures is on here and was willing to chime in.

Rickybooner
12-02-2015, 11:37 AM
As usual there are people that will try to justify things. It makes me wonder where their morals are at. I am definitely not mad that they shot the little 4 point. I am all for people harvesting game....when they do it legally. However as you can see in the pics the no hunting sign is right behind them. They were trying to get that deer into their truck without gutting him because they knew they had done something wrong. All they had to do was just drive up the road another 7 km and they would have been able to hunt anywhere back there but of course they were looking for the easy one.

They shot the deer on private property, our houses, livestock, and our barns are near there. When i watched them driving down the road very slowly I knew what they were up to. They were looking for a quick kill.

I had put in the original thread that there was an argument started and and I was not interested in getting into a physical altercation. The police were coming and one of the neighbours had shown up as well. I went back to the house. We forwarded all the information and the pictures to the police. After that we do not know what happens for sure. The last guys that had shot the deer in driveway we found out a few weeks later that they had received $1200 in fines.

I guess I should not have posted this on this site. I actually thought that most of the guys on this site were ethical hunters and would think this kind of behaviour was atrocious. As far as me being fond of deer...I definetly am. I hunt them in the mountains every weekend, still looking for the elusive 200 plus.

Cyrus
12-02-2015, 11:41 AM
As usual there are people that will try to justify things. It makes me wonder where their morals are at. I am definitely not mad that they shot the little 4 point. I am all for people harvesting game....when they do it legally. However as you can see in the pics the no hunting sign is right behind them. They were trying to get that deer into their truck without gutting him because they knew they had done something wrong. All they had to do was just drive up the road another 7 km and they would have been able to hunt anywhere back there but of course they were looking for the easy one.

They shot the deer on private property, our houses, livestock, and our barns are near there. When i watched them driving down the road very slowly I knew what they were up to. They were looking for a quick kill.

I had put in the original thread that there was an argument started and and I was not interested in getting into a physical altercation. The police were coming and one of the neighbours had shown up as well. I went back to the house. We forwarded all the information and the pictures to the police. After that we do not know what happens for sure. The last guys that had shot the deer in driveway we found out a few weeks later that they had received $1200 in fines.

I guess I should not have posted this on this site. I actually thought that most of the guys on this site were ethical hunters and would think this kind of behaviour was atrocious.

Why not call back to the Police or CO's and see if they followed up? If someone shot a deer on my land I would be pissed too...then again I only have 1.5 acre.

Popove
12-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Nah. I just figured I stand up for he other side. Innocent until proven guilty. I'd be choked if some duche was putting my face on the web when nothing was illegally done.

Angus
12-02-2015, 11:49 AM
The cops were called and said "let's see the rack". Un happy local. Typical.

Did I miss this part of the story and the cop's comment from the OP?

campking
12-02-2015, 11:50 AM
I also am concerned regarding the posting of the photos, as in this country you are innocent until proven guilty.

Don't get me wrong if they did commit an offence than nail them under the full extent of the law! I just
think posting these photos may be crossing the line? What does everybody else think?

Fisher-Dude
12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Nah. I just figured I stand up for he other side. Innocent until proven guilty. I'd be choked if some duche was putting my face on the web when nothing was illegally done.

How do you know nothing illegal was done?

And Angus' comment above raises some interesting speculation.

What kind of mileage do those Dodge Rams get?

bang flop
12-02-2015, 11:53 AM
The last few weeks I have been checking out one specific area where I've continuously seen does just waiting for the buck to show. Yesterday as we hiked in to get to the top we found 3 dead does shot. All the meat had been cut out leaving the head and skin. No other deer in sight all day. Decided to go checkout another spot 10 k up the road . Start hiking and within 20 ft another dead doe same story.. Region 2-19.

And did you call it in?
Came across 2 dead three points... both called in. If you see suspicious activity, you may call that in as well. The more info you give CO's the better... more justification for more officers.

When you see an infraction CALL IT IN... don't wait and think others will do it. It is "our" resource to protect.

Cookie1965
12-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I also am concerned regarding the posting of the photos, as in this country you are innocent until proven guilty.

Don't get me wrong if they did commit an offence than nail them under the full extent of the law! I just
think posting these photos may be crossing the line? What does everybody else think?

I agree. This guy's picture and license plate are on the internet with the word poacher attached. You don't get to undo that if you're wrong. If the faces and numbers were blacked out I'm fine with it.

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 11:58 AM

How do you confuse finding fact with Mad :lol: course im not one of the guys but lets say you were one of these guys and what you did was completely legal would you want someone doing this? we get the same sort of thing in my neck of the woods and more often then not its people that don't like hunting . be very interested to find out if they were charged and if in fact it was on private property . seems to me if it was then you will have to show up in court anyways. I would be interested to find out the facts on this . so which pic is the sign in and where is the fence line . How far off the road was the deer when it was shot?

Angus
12-02-2015, 12:02 PM
What kind of mileage do those Dodge Rams get?

Beauty!!

Seems to be a dash extra of info provided about the cop's comments. Maybe he's a bit closer to the situation than we know.....

stevo911_
12-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Looks like the no hunting sign is up on the snowy hillside by the treeline (right hand side) :http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah149/rickybooner/image.jpg4_zpsjsrpfsmr.jpg

Cyrus
12-02-2015, 12:08 PM
here is another question...why do road hunters wear full camo? I guess their truck matches the landscape..that poor deer didn't even see it coming....

huntinnut
12-02-2015, 12:14 PM
If the land is private on both sides of the road, and the road is a maintained two-lane road, then these guys were definitely committing an offence.

The regs state:

'It is illegal to hunt or shoot within the road allowance on any two lane or greater road maintained by the ministry of transportation, the federal government or another province or territory. The road allowance extends: a) 15m on either side of a road with less than 3 lanes, or b) 15m from the edge of the paved surface of a highway with 3 lanes or more, or C) to the boundary of private or cultivated land, whichever comes first.

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Looks like the no hunting sign is up on the snowy hillside by the treeline (right hand side) :http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah149/rickybooner/image.jpg4_zpsjsrpfsmr.jpg

your right looks to be a sign and perhaps even a fence way over there . so what exactly is the land between the fence and the road?? is it private also? would have figured a follow up call would be pretty easy.

Fisher-Dude
12-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Dude should have grabbed the hind legs closer to the shank, would have been way easier to lift into the Ram. Maybe he didn't want stink on his hands, who knows.

Bugle M In
12-02-2015, 12:19 PM
I don't agree with posting them, not until they have been prosecuted, not just charged.
Lots of Private property signs around, that are not legit or worse, not posted right on the
Property Line and not enough of them.
If that is a Legit Sign, what if that buck was between them and the truck when shot....
was the deer outside the property line????
Just saying, let RC or CO figure it out, if prosecuted, post.
But this is different than the person that posted their trailer be stolen out of their cabin.
In that case, they were showing the vehicle who had their trailer in the back of their pickup truck.
Obviously it was private property and was stolen.
The Dougan case was just too obvious!!
No doubt where that ram was taken, so I was good with that in my mind.
But, this to me is just not cool until they are prosecuted, but than, if they are prosecuted, I am all for posting!
Leaves me with a question...
What are the rules for posting a Private Property or No Hunting or Shooting Signs.
How far back from the line are these signs allowed to be posted?
How much spacing between the signs is allowed??
Some places, signs are Very Well posted, and I am thankful to those owners that take the time to do that.
It leaves nothing to interpretation in my mind.
But than again, other signs are poorly displayed or just randomly placed or even worse, not even legit.
Leaves this case to the authorities, than post, if they are guilty...I would be happy with that.

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 12:21 PM
If the land is private on both sides of the road, and the road is a maintained two-lane road, then these guys were definitely committing an offence.

The regs state:

'It is illegal to hunt or shoot within the road allowance on any two lane or greater road maintained by the ministry of transportation, the federal government or another province or territory. The road allowance extends: a) 15m on either side of a road with less than 3 lanes, or b) 15m from the edge of the paved surface of a highway with 3 lanes or more, or C) to the boundary of private or cultivated land, whichever comes first.

aReaS
4It is unlawful to discharge a firearm across or to discharge a firearm or hunt within the road allowances of all numbered highways and any two lane or greater public road in BC that is maintained by the Ministry of Transportation (or their Contractors), the federal government or another province or territory.

The road allowance extends:

(a) 15 metres on either side of the middle of a road with less than three lanes,

or (b) 15 metres from the edge of the paved surface of a highway with three lanes or more,

or (c) to the boundary of private or cultivated land, whichever comes first.

okas
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
that looks normal we never leave the guts on the road allways find a trail to gut and trim

okas
12-02-2015, 12:29 PM
i used to live on Ruth Lake 20 k from 100 mile . I must say nice until all the new get away from it all started moving in . Posting crown land posting the hunting trails with funny names and just being a pain. lucky more came and drove the property value up. i sold out

Doostien
12-02-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't agree with posting them, not until they have been prosecuted, not just charged.
Lots of Private property signs around, that are not legit or worse, not posted right on the
Property Line and not enough of them.
If that is a Legit Sign, what if that buck was between them and the truck when shot....
was the deer outside the property line????
Just saying, let RC or CO figure it out, if prosecuted, post.
But this is different than the person that posted their trailer be stolen out of their cabin.
In that case, they were showing the vehicle who had their trailer in the back of their pickup truck.
Obviously it was private property and was stolen.
The Dougan case was just too obvious!!
No doubt where that ram was taken, so I was good with that in my mind.
But, this to me is just not cool until they are prosecuted, but than, if they are prosecuted, I am all for posting!
Leaves me with a question...
What are the rules for posting a Private Property or No Hunting or Shooting Signs.
How far back from the line are these signs allowed to be posted?
How much spacing between the signs is allowed??
Some places, signs are Very Well posted, and I am thankful to those owners that take the time to do that.
It leaves nothing to interpretation in my mind.
But than again, other signs are poorly displayed or just randomly placed or even worse, not even legit.
Leaves this case to the authorities, than post, if they are guilty...I would be happy with that.

The only requirement for signage on private property only needs to be at 'ordinary' points of access. There aren't any rules in the trespass act about how many or spacing, they just need some signs. The signs would have to be on the property line, but in the cases of roads, some roads are right-of-ways that are still technically a part of the property. In all cases, the area between a road and private property is a no shooting area.

Methods of giving or posting notice5 (1) For the purposes of paragraph (c) of the definition of "enclosed land", signs must be posted so that, in daylight and under normal weather conditions, from the approach to each ordinary point of access to the enclosed land,
(a) a sign is clearly visible,
(b) if a sign contains writing, the writing is clearly legible, and
(c) if a sign uses graphic representation, the graphic representation is clearly visible.

"enclosed land" includes land that is
(a) surrounded by a lawful fence defined under this Act,
(b) surrounded by a lawful fence and a natural boundary or by a natural boundary alone, or
(c) posted with signs prohibiting trespass in accordance with section 5 (1);

steveo
12-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Does anyone hunt this area or know if you are allowed to shoot on this road? I guess I would ask if this seems to be a problem why not put a fence line up and post it, would make things more clear for every one.

Drillbit
12-02-2015, 12:56 PM

I agree.

They might have been legal. Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but the No Hunting sign looks a long way from the road allowance to me. Also, the complainant could only see the driver side and couldn't tell where the shot came from, so the passenger could have been off the road for the shot.

If I was them and were not guilty and found my pictures on the internet I'd follow it up.

As far as signs go, there is so much hassle over signs there should be an official government sign that has the name and contact info of whoever is on the title so people can verify validity. Too many fakes out there.

Xenomorph
12-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Does anyone hunt this area or know if you are allowed to shoot on this road? I guess I would ask if this seems to be a problem why not put a fence line up and post it, would make things more clear for every one.

I'm not familiar with the area but say
1. One side of the road was private property, even if fenced deep 500m from the road. That side is a no shooting area without express permission from the farmer.
2. One side of the road is crown land or no fences, signs and postage -obvious- than fair game within the road allowance limit.
3. If this is an access road -non two lane maintained etc- and the farmer has only grazing rights on either side of the road - theoretically even with the non hunting signs it should still be legal to hunt, because grazing rights and ownership of land are two different things.

Now, do I have any clear picture of what's going on here? Nope! I sure hope that if proven guilty they get charged properly and not just a slap on the wrist.

Read about that deer in the driveway thingie? You serious? 1200$ for shooting deer on your lawn and bolting, then returning to retrieve it?!? That right there is why this BS is going on anyway, what self-respecting asshole poacher would give a shit for a 1200 fine. Go and pull in a couple extra shifts and make the money back.

It's a systemic problem, not just an intelligence/attitude lacking on some. It's a lack of proper administered detterent measures which in current state have no positive effect on either funding the conservation efforts (way too little money for the effort) nor to deter said geniuses from re-offending.

okas
12-02-2015, 01:10 PM
that sign says ..... NO TRESPASSING ... been down that road my buddy had a shack on the Jesmond Rd.

Doostien
12-02-2015, 01:13 PM
As far as signs go, there is so much hassle over signs there should be an official government sign that has the name and contact info of whoever is on the title so people can verify validity. Too many fakes out there.

Fakes? I've never seen a 'fake' sign in the 10+ years I've spent in the woods. The only time I even heard of a 'fake' sign was someone referring to one I'd put up when they wanted to trespass. I had my phone number on some that I put up a few years ago. I had to change my phone number as a result. I was harassed enough before that, let alone giving those people my number.

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 01:37 PM
seen plenty of fake signs some several hundred meters past property lines . if your in doubt you can check parcels beforehand if that's actually on jesmond then it could be a set back property from the road and the 15m from centerline applies for hunting . it really depends on the parcel

you can look here http://tnrdmap.tnrd.ca/myRegionViewSL/

Ryo
12-02-2015, 01:49 PM
imap bc mapping service: http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/dbc/geographic/view_and_analyze/imapbc/index.page

1. Find the area you're interested in, and zoom in to 1:20,000 or closer
2. Go to the "maps and data tab"
3. Select "Add DataBC layers"
4. Select the box, "Land ownership and Status", then "integrated cadastral fabric", then "Integrated cadastric fabric - Private ownership"

PRINT IT!

Once you figure out the program, it's one of the most useful hunting tools around, and can help to avoid (or conversely, act as legal defence) in cases like this. It's potentially also a useful tool for landowners.

skibum
12-02-2015, 02:36 PM
I guess I should not have posted this on this site. I actually thought that most of the guys on this site were ethical hunters ......

Cry me a river, first post on site accuses someone of poaching with scant and unclear details.

Will a Trudeau hug make you feel better?

DMD
12-02-2015, 02:39 PM
http://icismaps.icisociety.ca/apps/bcspatial/

Another resource.
-open application
-in the top right corner there is an icon that looks like a piece of paper, if you hover over it, it's called map contents. Click this and check ICIS cadastre outline or fill
-in the top right corner there is an icon, the furthest left that when you hover over it, it's called choose basemap. Click this and it gives you options including bing imagery and sometimes aerial photography
-once the cadatre (lot boundaries) appear, you can click on a parcel and an info box will pop up, scroll down and ownership class with show up and tell you whether the lot is private, crown provincal, etc.

Rickybooner
12-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Cry me a river, first post on site accuses someone of poaching with scant and unclear details.

Will a Trudeau hug make you feel better?

i love the Trudeau hug! Awesome.

What was unclear? They shot a deer on private property that was posted. I can't say for sure that it was shot out of the truck as I could not see that side. They were going very slowly down the road passing lots of no hunting signs. It is pretty simple.

i was a member on this site for many years and deleted my account after getting sick of some of the members posts.
Some of the same ones that are trying to somehow defend these guys.
Thankfully there are many members in this site that are full of knowledge and would help any one out without batting an eye. You have to take the good with the bad I guess. Luckily the good outweighs the bad.

In this instance I figured the best way to get the word out that this is not acceptable was to post on this site as it was the only way I could think of to do it. Hopefully next time this happens someone will think twice. Because every time we catch someone we will keep posting it.

Any landowner that read this would likely agree with me on this. It is very frustrating to have poeple think that they can just trespass on your property and do what ever they like. I watched these guys do this and was totally pissed. It was completely intentional. And FYI we own both sides of the road.
I heard back from the police and the guys admitted what they had done were given a warning and had to give up the deer. My reply to them was that this was not good enough and the feeling I get is that they did not want to deal with it. He said they were remorseful.....they always are when they get caught!

Slinky Pickle
12-02-2015, 03:31 PM
I personally hunt this area and am quite familiar with the road in question. I have family living at the west end of Kelly Lake. It's basically fenced on both sides with prominent "No Hunting" and "No Trespassing" signs. It's a paved, serviced road so there is not shooting from/on it and once you're off it, you're on private land. In my opinion, the OP has a very legitimate beef.

It's up to the hunter to know whether he's on private property or not. I own a large parcel of land and I have the "normal" entrances and exits posted and that's all I need to do. If you can't be bothered to do your homework then don't be surprised when you get called before the judge to explain your stupidity.

Brian011
12-02-2015, 03:32 PM
I've driven that road numerous times and always seen tons of deer along it including a few 4 points. It is clearly marked along the whole road on both sides. The big sign in the background is a no hunting sign and the area is clearly private on both sides of the road. I saw a 4 point standing beside one of the no hunting signs earlier this year.
im not sure why some people are trying to defend the guys that shot the deer on private property.

Barracuda
12-02-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't think anyone is defending anyone that did something illegal. somehow the story still doesn't add up . The police gave a warning and simply took away the deer??? does that sound rather odd to anyone else . I guess if one knew the exact location they could easily look up the lot lines . We have the exact situation here also and some places you could hunt and other you cant and some are posted no hunting yet people don't own it its just that they don't want hunting. there are properties that are set back 50yards so legally you could hunt that yet owners have put up signs and treat it as if they are the owners yet a simple look at the mapping tells the truth.

Rickybooner
12-02-2015, 03:53 PM
I forgot to add the deer was given to the native band

IslandBC
12-02-2015, 04:12 PM
If that is the "no hunting" sign on the far right , it may be better to move it to the road where you can see it.

HarryToolips
12-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Ya I hope they get nailed hard......

Mulehahn
12-02-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't doubt the O/P. If he lives there, or owns property there I am sure that he knows the property lines. That being said, I know of several areas that are there is a large easement for several reasons before the Private property begins that are legal to hunt on. I also know of several areas of land that 1 individual owns the land directly adjacent to the road with another owner in behind, each with different views on hunting. That is why it is best to have a solid understanding of where you are, who owns the land if it is private, and follow the rules.

As for the rest of the thread... I see nothing wrong with loading a ungutted deer. People are often stating that we hunters should take there animal waste further out into the bush. Kelly road is a pretty busy road, not a place to leave a pile of guts. And yes, there are numerous illegal or illegitimate no trespassing and no hunting signs signs all around BC. I have seen several inside provincial parks, crown land and in one instance put up on a family members property by an unknown individual. He allows hunters on and he figures someone wanted a private reserve.

Ambush
12-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Rickybooner, you did the right thing.

And I'll tell you who likes to poach off private property. Hunters that can't get permission to hunt private property and often because they are dicks themselves.
Or because the farmer just found another carcass or gut pile. Or just ran off a fellow, in the afternoon, that was declined permission that morning because another group was hunting already.

I'm a little disappointed in some of the opinions. Normally most members here are pretty down on poachers. :confused:

huntcoop
12-02-2015, 04:44 PM

Oh that just warms my heart.

Backwoods
12-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Rickybooner, you did the right thing.

And I'll tell you who likes to poach off private property. Hunters that can't get permission to hunt private property and often because they are dicks themselves.
Or because the farmer just found another carcass or gut pile. Or just ran off a fellow, in the afternoon, that was declined permission that morning because another group was hunting already.

I'm a little disappointed in some of the opinions. Normally most members here are pretty down on poachers. :confused:
I am also disappointed in some of the opinions!!! They must be those road hunters lingering farmers & ranchers properties instead of going after wildlife fair game on crown land which luckey in canada we have abundance of!!! Esspecially when it comes crunch time and they are sooooo scared of tag soup so they well take these risks harvesting game on land they have no idea if it's private or houses near, get off your ass and get into the bush! It's called hunting for a reason, it's not easy!

finngun
12-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Oh that just warms my heart. (((((SOMEBODY was laughing somewhere..:idea:,,,did they skin and buchered deer too?

fuzzybiscuit
12-02-2015, 06:13 PM

If they wanted it they would have already shot it on your property.

Elkhound
12-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Got this in a reported post. So closing this thread and letting the COs figure it out. Not a lynching party.
However.......to the guy reporting this post claiming to be one of the hunters. Your join date is today and I understand you are mad. But you threaten HBC with legal action without giving us a chance to do anything first is a real DICK move in my opinion.

copy and paste

Hello. This is one of the huntings featured in the pics. I have hunted my whole life. Have a 3 girls and am mortified by the ignorance and slander of this group. This was a 100 percent legal kill. We knew it before the shot and after. The private property sign is visible but it is posted on the fenceline. There is 100 plus meters hunting the private property fenceline which is crown land. Yes CROWN LAND! I have hunting that area for years and know on both sides is private property. But on the right side the private property does not start until the fenceline. The deer was shot over the mount 40 plus feet from the road during legal light hours. Meat in the freezer is what we hunt for. We have put 100 of km on are boots this season and hunt within the laws. The land owner came up to us to check if it was shot on his land(past the fenceline). After realizeing it WAS NOT SHOT passed his fenceline. He was very cheerful and helpful. We were joking around with each other, he even borrowed my binos to glass his fields for wolves. This man on the quad came rolling up calling us poachers ect. Yes it did get heated because we were 100 percent legal. Crown land, before the fenceline is where the deer was shot. We picked the deer up, put in in the truck. We went, skinned and gutted the deer and drove straight to the police station. The police officer asked to see the deer. Asked to see our clipped tag and after confirming. It was all legal and discussed it was shot not passed the land owners fenceline said we were free to go. We took the meat with us. They DID NOT take the meat. The meat is at the game cutter as we speak so thw man on the quad is 100 percent lieing. We have also talked to the DFOs and they have also said we were 100 percent legal. Thats right LEGAL is the court of law is British Columbia. I am sorry two russian shot deer in this mans field and you are tired of people shooting deer on your land. But in our case it was not private property. It was shot before the fenceline, off the road on crown land. Please remove this post immediately or i will be taking legal actions of deffemation and harassment. This is absolutely appalling and am not going to accept this torrement for a 100 percent legal kill.

Elkhound
12-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I see no faces in the pics....no plates....no names. So not deleting the thread.