PDA

View Full Version : LEH Moose Hunt 2015

jikjak
12-01-2015, 06:25 PM
I know this post is a couple months late and I apologize for that. This is my first post of an actual hunt as i usually dont post much on the forums. I've been quite busy since this happened and was able to get out on a few more hunts for white tail and mule deer. It's been a successful year for me and i hope to get out to the island this weekend to do a final hunt for the season as im still looking for a buck to put on the wall. Anyways here's my story.

Ive known Srupp for a few years now and he has given me great advice on grizzly hunting which helped get my dad his grizzly bear. We always keep in touch and before the LEH we spoke about moose. He said that if i won the draw then he would help me out with the hunt and show me how to call moose.

Well i was lucky enough to finally win my first LEH draw, and it was for moose, so we began planning for the hunt. I met up with Srupp a few days before the opening day of the hunt and we set off to make camp and to make some preparations so that we would be ready to go on day one. Our plan was not to road hunt but to bring the moose to us.

Oct.1 has arrived and we go into an area where we plan to call. Srupp let a call out and we waited. Shortly after, we noticed that there were some people driving around in the back of the area that we were planning to hunt for the day. This would ruin our chances and possibly pull a bull mouse out for them to shoot so we decided to move on to one of our other spots.

We head on over to another area and pull into a spur road off the main fsr . We posted up about 250 yards from the moose scent we hung up in a tree the day before. Steve started calling and repeated it every 15 mins on the dot. After about 45 mins we heard a distant answer from a bull. He sounded like he was a kilometre or more away. Srupp gave a short answer and about ten minutes later he gave us a couple more grunts. Srupp answered a few more times but the bull went quiet. It could be due to all the wolf sign we have been seeing in the area.

We kept calling every 15 mins. Approximately 45 minutes later, all of a sudden, without a sound, I see a bull moose appear out of the timber like a big black ghost. He stopped in the middle of the spur road about 50 yards away and stared right at us. I motioned to Srupp to have a look as i drew up my rifle to get ready to shoot.

I hear Srupp say 'shoot' and i pull the trigger, click, nothing happened, rookie mistake, i left the safety on. A split second later, the full fury of the .375 H&H roared out of the muzzle of the Blaser R8 and then the moose took off. It really seemed like I only startled the bull and he didnt seem injured at all. Apparently moose seem to have a slow nervous system that doesnt respond well to bullet shock. I know I made a good shot, but that didnt prevent horrible thoughts of missing from creeping into my mind.

We waited a little while and then walked up to the tracks he made when he emerged out of the timber. With no blood to be found where he was standing, we followed his tracks into the cut block that he ran into. Srupp and I went off in different directions and after a few minutes I spotted some blood. A bubbly pinkish clot stuck on some leaves told me that I hit his lungs. A step beyond that showed a lot more blood all over the ground. I stayed put and yelled over to Steve to let him know and then a minute later he saw the bull lying in the ground, no longer breathing. He was well within 100m of the spot where i shot him. Looks like the 260gr Nosler partition did its job. Now the work begins.

Long story short, we gutted him on the spot and then used a quad to pull it closer to the road. We rushed back to camp to grab my truck and trailer. We put the trailer down and angled it towards the moose. I turned my truck around and used the winch in front to drag the moose on to the trailer. The 12,000lb warn zeon winch made it effortless, im glad i have it as it has gotten me out of sticky situations in the past. We hitched up and high tailed it to my friend's house near town. We used his tractor to lift it and finished skinning it there. We split it into 6 parts and fit it into his meat cooler. After a few days of chilling we picked it up and butchered the moose at Srupp's place. It was a lot of work but definitely worth it. After letting it chill in the cooler for a few days, we butchered, grinded, vacuum sealed the meat and then froze it. It is all ready to eat!

I have to give a big thank you to Srupp for his help to make this happen. I also have to give a huge thank you to his wife Susan. She made us some excellent meals that we were able to freeze and simply heat up in the trailer. We were very well fed with some good home cooking. Also a big thank you to my friend Joe, who bailed us out by letting us use his meat cooler. It was a hot day and we were close to having the meat spoil on us. I learned a lot from this hunt and i cant wait to do it again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jikjak/2014-04/458EA309-6C0F-41A4-8838-2D3B664996CB_zpsgbcpjynf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jikjak/media/2014-04/458EA309-6C0F-41A4-8838-2D3B664996CB_zpsgbcpjynf.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jikjak/2014-04/ED4862A8-48B3-4D56-95BA-B862392E6A70_zpsnfzviq93.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jikjak/media/2014-04/ED4862A8-48B3-4D56-95BA-B862392E6A70_zpsnfzviq93.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jikjak/2014-04/932194FC-A6AF-4A9E-B8DD-454A3CF8FA39_zpse4pdzwvl.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jikjak/media/2014-04/932194FC-A6AF-4A9E-B8DD-454A3CF8FA39_zpse4pdzwvl.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jikjak/2014-04/560FE7FB-E63C-4A3E-BC30-63C9045FC68A_zpsbbuxssuc.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jikjak/media/2014-04/560FE7FB-E63C-4A3E-BC30-63C9045FC68A_zpsbbuxssuc.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jikjak/2014-04/6D2A83A5-D7E5-488A-B1F4-2AB01839DA05_zpsn6s85pi2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jikjak/media/2014-04/6D2A83A5-D7E5-488A-B1F4-2AB01839DA05_zpsn6s85pi2.jpg.html)

jikjak
12-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Here is a pic of the antlers after i got them back from the taxidermist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jikjak/2014-04/3857483F-5301-4B88-BF23-4C87E32226D0_zps8ahnzeqj.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jikjak/media/2014-04/3857483F-5301-4B88-BF23-4C87E32226D0_zps8ahnzeqj.jpg.html)

rocksteady
12-01-2015, 06:34 PM
SRUPP is the epitome of hunters helping hunters... and I have told him so....

A class act.. all of us should aspire to be as good as him...

coach
12-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Great bull! Congratulations and thanks for taking the time to post the story. Nice "assist" srupp. Another thread that epitomizes what hbc is all about.

Fella
12-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Awesome bull and great story! Thanks for sharing!

IronNoggin
12-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Great Hunt & Moose jikjak! Good Work!

And of course a Pat On The Back for Steven! Way to "Mentor" Buddy!!

Class Act All Round! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers!
Nog

islander7mm
12-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Great story and a great moose.
Way to go Srupp and family.

Knute
12-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Firstly jikjak congrats on dropping a fine bull.
Sounds like the whole adventure went off with no major hiccups. Great to be able to pull it out of the bush with your quad, up onto the trailer with your winch, hung by tractor, skinned and cooled at your friends place. Betcha the next one won't be that easy!:tongue:

And of course outstanding work by Steve and his better half helping you out and making you feel at home. Well done Rupp family:smile:

kennyj
12-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Nice bull!! Sounds like a fun trip.
kenny

ydouask
12-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Excellent story and moose. Now I'm ready to go again myself !

Dash
12-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Nice! Great bull and story! I like the mount :)

Gateholio
12-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Goddamn Ruppster looks sexy as ever! :)

wideopenthrottle
12-02-2015, 08:20 AM
that was great success on your moose hunt..good on ya srupp

ElliotMoose
12-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Nice bull! Nothing better than calling them in like you experienced

Leaseman
12-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Wondering when this was going to show up!

Way to go, both of you....

Steve is quite the guy to spend time with!!:lol: Should try being in a boat for 10 hours or more.....:wink:

Buckmeister
12-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Way to go guys!!! I wish I knew a taxidermist who mounted guns with the antlers :wink:

srupp
12-09-2015, 02:39 PM
hmmm..first of all thank you Terence for your kind words, and the wonderful photos. and then thank you to Emily terraces wonderful wife for her generosity and to Susan for all her hard work, preparations cooking without her this trip never would've taken place.
when Terence asked me about Moose hunting I said that if I didn't get draw a tag.. I would certainly help him. I made it clear that this would not be a road hunt, rather it would be a passing of knowledge, education mentoring, how-to Moose hunt, where to Moose hunt and why. I have been fortunate and privileged to learn from some of the best and even be paid to guide hunters in the past.
when Terence drew the Moose tag I spent a couple of trips checking area out, and then the vast amount of work drawing up lists.. getting equipment in tip top order. Susan did 99% of the work she cooked the meals and we froze them up for quick re heating in the evenings, she loaded the travel trailer.

Terence arrived on time he was well-equipped with top-notch gear, more than his fair share of food, a good attitude open willing to learn. he also did more than his fair share of work in setting up camp, putting generators out, loading water, transferred equipment between trailer and trucks, unloading and setting up the ATVs... it was genuinely appreciated.
my job was somehow to transfer 40 years of Moose hunting and outdoors to an organized cohesive transfer of my knowledge to Terence... or as I put it so that he could do this next year by himself.
we arrived at the location I had decided to make camp, with Susan's help prior to our leaving, and Terence doing the vast majority help to camp we were set up and ready to hunt. a couple of scouting trips looking for deer.. the first 15 min. we had 300 pound black bear run past us at 45 yards... all the hunters we encountered had been unsuccessful in even seeing a Moose.. I reassured Terence we would get it done.. the impossible just takes a little longer.
we hit the hay early the night prior to opening of season, rising still in the dark we had breakfast loaded the quads and headed off for plan a.. other hunters arrived at the same location and so we headed off to plan B.
we arrived at an innocuous out of the way location off the main road... I did not road hunt.. this was the rut.. I was going to bring the Moose to us. absolute confidence. we started calling and within 45 min. we have a call of a faraway bull Moose responding to the call... this however was short-lived lasting only 15 min. and he went quiet.. I kept on calling every 15 min. and at the 45 min. mark the bull stepped on to the trail sideways huge black... and more importantly a legal bull. Terence looked at me and said Steve..? and I said.. shoot!.. Terence placed a perfect shot into the Moose's lungs at 45 yards and the bull died within 100 yards of the shot.
the use of the ATVs, 12,000 pound winch, flatbed trailer, friends with mea coolers... made this retrieval very very easy... as has been pointed out..THE EASIEST mOOSE Terence may ever get. I appreciated the fact that Terence stuck around and help with the cleanup... learning that it takes a lot of supplies, equipment, knowledge to set up, harvested Moose and then cleanup.
while Susan I left for Vancouver for an overnight awards banquet for 38 years as a paramedic.. Terence happily house sat and looked after ebony.

when we returned I proceeded to show Terence how to butcher a Moose, we even double ground hundred and 60 160 pounds of Moose for burger. all the meat was placed into vacmaster 215 chamber sealer in 4mm bags.

every year I try and pick someone new to hunting, or with limited knowledge and to my best to mentor them one-on-one... the Moose or sheep or deer. or grizzly or black bear... passed it on.

it was my privilege and pleasure to have Terence in camp... was a bright, articulate questioning eager learner... one that will do this sport proud in the future... this was about everything I had learned about Moose.. holding nothing back... and by 90 min. on opening morning we had a wonderful 1100 pound plus Moose harvested in a location that can be accessed by trailer, and the entire Moose carcass removed as a whole.
someone asked me about the new fiberglass Moose horn for calling.. is my distinct impression that this fiberglass Moose horn amplified my voice farther than the 5.2 km that was previously my best. I highly recommend this Moose horn for calling.
it was difficult for me with my poor health to do this hunt, but my word is my bond and was absolute delight to spend time in woods with Terence. I know there was a lot of information to assimilate but he seemed to do a very good job... and next year's advanced course on a fly in for Moose in northern British Columbia will be his thesis class..lol.
I get the privilege of having 200 or so phone calls from hunters, as well as twice that in e-mails... seldom do I have the time to actually get out into the field but I try to do one hunt year to actually hands-on mentoring... this trip went well... exceptionally well,

once again thank you to Susan, to Terence... and Terences wife Emily... for her immense kindness to my wife Susan.

cheers

Steven

12-09-2015, 03:00 PM
That's a great looking bull!

bang flop
12-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Cool. Nice work srupp. Fortunate few are shown the proper ropes. You are a fine example of a hunter and educator. Thank you.

srupp
12-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Hmm told T what we were going to do...i don't road hunt..we were going to get the moose to come to us..could tell T wasn't sure..
Day before opening..reminded T the whole concept of the rut..get Bulls to respond to our calling..plan.
Opening morning we successfully accomplished our goal..moose to within 45 yards..within 90 minutes..

Oh yes and introduction of Gatehouse steaks...beef fed beer daily..and daily massage. ..Terence told me that was what Kobe beef is...sounded like Gatehouse ideal lifestyle...ONE OOPS
Steven

RackStar
12-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Good job guys,
way to put him down with some authority from that 375.
Good eats for you boys.

Happy trails

srupp
12-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Hmm he was one of the biggest bodied moose I have seen in the Caribou region...ever..but don't think he was old..?
However he was delicious. ..having him in a regulated temp a ture cooler for 8 days sure helped.tastey.
Srupp

jikjak
12-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I learned a lot and had a great time.
Can't wait to do it all again!

HarryToolips
12-11-2015, 11:33 PM
Great job and bull guys congrats!