PDA

View Full Version : Another trail cam stolen

.264winmag
12-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Set up bait, lick and trail cam a week ago. Went to camp for a week cam gone and lick tossed downhill a ways. Same scenario as couple years ago, different spot on private property. I'm 99% sure I know who it is. What's the best way to catch him? Anybody have any luck with these cameras that email/text pics to your phone. Or set one up in a tree looking down on perp? Could just bring Spurs to get high enough and angle it down.
No idea what ate all the bait now, piss off for my only week off during bow season. Starting from scratch now.
Cant stand thieves...

wideopenthrottle
12-01-2015, 04:07 PM
the dual camera trick might work...one camera on the deer bait one camera on the thief bait (on the first camera)

ps...some people actually believe baiting deer is illegal so you may have a do gooder (but also a thief) or anti hunter (but also a thief)

houndogger
12-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Friend had a mb600 stolen by some pit lampers the other night. Pretty disturbing getting pics of the light then watching them steal it.

Katanajay
12-01-2015, 04:42 PM
I always use python locks on my camera's. Call me suspicious but only takes one thief out of a hundred hunters to ruin it.

.264winmag
12-01-2015, 04:43 PM
the dual camera trick might work...one camera on the deer bait one camera on the thief bait (on the first camera)

ps...some people actually believe baiting deer is illegal so you may have a do gooder (but also a thief) or anti hunter (but also a thief)

No anti hunters on this property. Pretty sure it's a case of the owners son not liking the fact I have permission and my property borders the land. Had it out with him a couple times...

.264winmag
12-01-2015, 04:44 PM
I always use python locks on my camera's. Call me suspicious but only takes one thief out of a hundred hunters to ruin it.
I feel as though it will still grow legs out of spite...

thepitchedlink
12-01-2015, 04:54 PM
That sucks man....I'm guessing your right as to who did it.....idiot. let me know if I can help out

hunter1947
12-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Try to find a place for another one facing either sideways front rear etc whatever is the best place to hid one you might get the scum stealing your trail cam,,good luck..

ACE
12-01-2015, 05:52 PM
deleted ...... :arrow:

rocksteady
12-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Unfortunately, nowadays
, if you leave something in the woods, expect it to be stolen...

Sad but true.... Metallica! !!

KodiakHntr
12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
No anti hunters on this property. Pretty sure it's a case of the owners son not liking the fact I have permission and my property borders the land. Had it out with him a couple times...

I know who you are talking about...... Smack that piece of shit with a 2x4 the next time you see him....

Sofa King
12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Friend had a mb600 stolen by some pit lampers the other night. Pretty disturbing getting pics of the light then watching them steal it.

he spent that kind of money on a top cam and didn't have it in a lock-box?????

Backcountry Hunter
12-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Had this come up in an earlier thread. I'm one for if its not yours don't touch it. Apparently there's a few douch bags out there that think if it's left in the bush it's free game. Just pathetic we can't have some respect for fellow hunters. Next time try the two camera set up I guess. I could be wrong but do the cams that send live pics to your phone need to be in cell range? Could be an issue with most hunting spots

Sofa King
12-01-2015, 06:36 PM
yes, they need to have cell coverage.
definitely not suitable for the majority of my hunting areas.
I use mine in my areas closer to town.

375shooter
12-01-2015, 08:09 PM
I like the spur idea to get the camera above, and set so it points down to get pictures of the thief.

BushBuck
12-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Dig a foot hold trap Into the ground under your cam cover it with some leaves...He'll be waiting to chat when you return... Hahahah. Honestly set up another cam In a tree at height and fix it down well I drive at least a half dozen 3"wood screws through the metal boxes I put my cams in haven't even had a bear rip one off yet! The culprit will be revealed.

.264winmag
12-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Gotta tell ya, I like the foothold trap idea the best. Got some old school conibear traps, ole man was a trapper. Should work well, be good footage from the spur placed cam above:)
Good cell service in this spot. Priced out the uway mb600 with lockbox n 6ft cable, all in around $700. Think I'll just buy a bulk pack off eBay and set up two watching one in a few spots.

caves16
12-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Buying a second camera to get pics of the thief taking your now-gone camera could get expensive after a while!

For $15 buy a Vigilant Rape Alarm keychain and nail the pin ring to the tree and attach the fob with crazy glue to the back of your camera. No one will ever know its there. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, its a small plastic alarm that looks like a car key fob. It works like a grenade. To activate the alarm, you pull the pin and the alarm sounds for 30 minutes with no way to stop it. Its a screeching 130 dB and will scare the sh*it out of the thief. Because the fob (screeching for 30 mins) is attached to the camera, the thief won't run back through the bush/down the road with your screaming camera!:wink:
2 downsides:
-if the alarm goes off, you're unlikely to get any animals near there for a while!
-dont forget the alarm is there when you come to retrieve your camera. Use a screw driver to pull out the nail keeping the alarm intact and quiet.

caves16
12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Oh and i know the leg snare was in jest, but in case anyone took it serious, its illegal to set a trap for someone and if they are hurt you could face damages, costs and even criminal charges. Hate to be a downer, but picture a man caught in the trap wailing and thrashing about like a wounded animal attracting a bear and getting mauled to death...
See it could just go horribly wrong in so many ways. Just use the rape alarm, a second camera or post a note on the camera telling the thief you are watching from 2 other cameras

BushBuck
12-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Oh and i know the leg snare was in jest, but in case anyone took it serious, its illegal to set a trap for someone and if they are hurt you could face damages, costs and even criminal charges. Hate to be a downer, but picture a man caught in the trap wailing and thrashing about like a wounded animal attracting a bear and getting mauled to death...
See it could just go horribly wrong in so many ways. Just use the rape alarm, a second camera or post a note on the camera telling the thief you are watching from 2 other cameras
Thank you for saving the day and expressing the legalities of foot hold trap use on a human.... That's a no brainier man come on.......really? It was used to make light of a crappy situation with the loss of a guys piece of outdoor equipment and hard earned dollars and urge a chuckle for fellow outdoors man! At least a guy could get a chuckle right? If ya can't laugh.... Learn how to

Coachman
12-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Buy a broken one off eBay and set it up in the same spot. Then set another one hidden out of sight to see the a$$hole.

caves16
12-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Oh, sorry Bushbuck! You're kinda sensitive for an outdoors man.

I guess its a good thing I'm not - and I will take your handy advice and try to learn how to laugh. You were bang on, and I am laughing now!
Sorry you didn't catch on to the humour of the bear mauling in my post, though. (here I thought that was a no-brainer) The word 'jest' means something done or said to cause laughter - I actually understood that part of your post.

Aside from the much-needed humour lesson your post gave me, I still feel its important to mention not to set traps of any kind. There are a surprising number of people who don't know its illegal to set a trap for thieves, even on your own property.

In my opinion HBC is here to support, educate, entertain and share ideas, photos and cool stories. Personally I think an outdoors man is as hot as they get. Super sexy. But snarky and judgemental posts are a real turn off.

todbartell
12-01-2015, 11:15 PM
another alternative to the UWay telus cam is the SpyPoint Tiny, sends pic via a WIFI signal to a receiver with SD card a hundred feet away. Can also purchase dummy cams that you put in an obvious spot to trap him into stealing it while in view of the WIFI cam

markt308
12-01-2015, 11:19 PM
My camera didn't get stolen, but went to check it this last time and it had been tampered with and the memory card taken. Sucks cause I had
some sweet
pics on there, but obviously glad they didn't take the camera. Not sure why either

Dash
12-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Wtf. What's wrong with people. I honestly think you should do the duel cams and catch the moron. Go confront him and tell him you're going to report him unless he replaces them.

Jagermeister
12-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Best bet is go tell the property owner that you had a couple of trail camera go missing. Then ask him if he would have any idea who may have absconded with them..For all you know, maybe there are others granted permission to hunt there too.

BushBuck
12-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Look Caves16 my post had one purpose, that was to get a laugh for a guy who got stolen from as I'm sure he is pissed. Where you gain your knowledge of how many people don't know it's illegal to set a trap for a human is a mystery to me..... To call me "sensitive for an outdoorsman" and say (I thought it was a no brainier) +( aside from the much-needed humour lesson your post gave me) seems much more snarky and judgemental than what I first posted. Why not chime in on the beating with a 2x4 comment.... We all know that's wrong right but I chuckled and there's probably others that did too even-though that sorta crap actually happens to people. I was not taking a crack at your intelligence don't get me wrong you have miss interpreted. I must have miss interpreted.

Sofa King
12-02-2015, 12:24 AM
Wtf. What's wrong with people. I honestly think you should do the duel cams and catch the moron. Go confront him and tell him you're going to report him unless he replaces them.

report him for what though?
cops would just laugh at this.
you abandon something in the bush, reality is that it's pretty much fair game.
that's not right, or ethical, or polite, etc, but it's the way it is.

Dash
12-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Oh.. I guess that's true. I didnt think about it like that. I figured theft but you're right. It's technically left out there I guess. :(

Xenomorph
12-02-2015, 01:06 AM
If only this was a perfect world ...but it isn't. Safeguard them bud, either a second camera or a lockbox of sorts.

srupp
12-02-2015, 01:09 AM
Hmmm I was actually surprised my camera wasn't taken..Sad world we live in master Jack..
Srupp

OutWest
12-02-2015, 08:02 AM

Intentionally leave something in the bush such as a trail camera and it's fair game? Interesting take on things...

caddisguy
12-02-2015, 08:02 AM

Hmm I disagree. A trailcam is not abandoned. It has a purpose and is in use. It is still theft and possibly interfering with a lawful hunt. I think at least some CO's or RCMP would be interested if someone had photos/videos of someone stealing a cam.

Failing that ^^^, reporting to social media seems to work great. Imagine being one of those slobs who gets his face place plastered all over the hunting/fishing forums/groups red handed. Oh man, I'd be scared to go back out in the bush with that sort of fame! Yikes!!

caddisguy
12-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Intentionally leave something in the bush such as a trail camera and it's fair game? Interesting take on things...

I've read SK's stance on this stuff before. Some guys have flat out said that cams left in the bush are (morally/legally) fair game. Those guys are the scummy ones. Pretty sure I can speak for SK and say that he means fair game as in "someone can easily take it and likely get away with it"

.264winmag
12-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Obviuosly can't turn him in for anything. It's private property and I'm not the owner.
Just want to make sure I'm visiting to right pos mobile home looking for compensation;)

.264winmag
12-02-2015, 08:42 AM

A) it's a trap designated to keep the goddamn beavers away.
B) nobody gonna care about this pos poaching thief.
C) what good is a rape alarm when I'm away at work for two weeks, I need pics of him. The alarm goes off for half hr and then lays there till its picked up next time or someone else?
I don't want him to know I'm watching him, I want to verify its him and go collect my shit.

.264winmag
12-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Best bet is go tell the property owner that you had a couple of trail camera go missing. Then ask him if he would have any idea who may have absconded with them..For all you know, maybe there are others granted permission to hunt there too.

Went that route last time, there are others with permission. Had them on camera never touched my riggin. I've talked to most of them, good people. Even the salt lick is going missing, that to me is someone pissed I'm there...

Jagermeister
12-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Went that route last time, there are others with permission. Had them on camera never touched my riggin. I've talked to most of them, good people. Even the salt lick is going missing, that to me is someone pissed I'm there...If you had the others on camera, have you had your suspect on camera as well? Just because you had the "good people" chat you up does not mean that they are not covertly "doing it" the moment your back is turned. Sounds like too many hunting that property.

Cyrus
12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
note to self...don't put my cams in SK's area...I also disagree with the take on fair game if its left out in the woods. It is serving a purpose and is not left abandoned. No doubt it was another hunter that did this...still a thief in my books!

Cyrus
12-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Hmm I disagree. A trailcam is not abandoned. It has a purpose and is in use. It is still theft and possibly interfering with a lawful hunt. I think at least some CO's or RCMP would be interested if someone had photos/videos of someone stealing a cam.

Failing that ^^^, reporting to social media seems to work great. Imagine being one of those slobs who gets his face place plastered all over the hunting/fishing forums/groups red handed. Oh man, I'd be scared to go back out in the bush with that sort of fame! Yikes!!

I don't know.... the guy posting pics in the poaching on private land thread is being flamed on this site for just doing this...maybe on facebook but on here someone would try to justify the criminals innocence...

GotaGun
12-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Leave a little sign below your camera saying.
"Smile for second camera".
Guy will look for hours trying to find non existent second camera.
Or cant see second one and figure he's caught and leave first one alone..

IronNoggin
12-02-2015, 02:08 PM
... you abandon something in the bush, reality is that it's pretty much fair game.

Private Property (the camera) on Private Ground.
There VERY Much is a case to be made for Theft.
I really don't understand the mindset of this poster (and the others who think the same).

Shaking my head...
Nog

KatoDean
12-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Buy a trail cam shell for bait for the thief and then setup another cam pointing towards it but hidden well and then check every morning to see if he took the bait and if so and he hasn't found your real cam call the police

.264winmag
12-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Private Property (the camera) on Private Ground.
There VERY Much is a case to be made for Theft.
I really don't understand the mindset of this poster (and the others who think the same).

Shaking my head...
Nog

Good to know I could go that route. Thanks

.264winmag
12-02-2015, 02:59 PM
If you had the others on camera, have you had your suspect on camera as well? Just because you had the "good people" chat you up does not mean that they are not covertly "doing it" the moment your back is turned. Sounds like too many hunting that property.
Pretty sure the ole 77yr old that hunts back there, the only other Hunter other than owners son, is not gonna swipe my camera. He knocks on the door when he needs help with his buck. 4 years here, those are the only 2 hunters I've run into. I'm back there a lot, cams were less than a km from my house. Wife knows who goes through the gate when I'm gone. It's not rocket surgery who to suspect...

Salty
12-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Sucks D. Maybe do like I do and work on hiding everything. I got some desert tan krylon and dabbed it on in blotches on my black cams. Loose the strap. Took a little screwing around to find some machine screws the right size to go into the tapped holes on the back of the camera turned out being 5mm on mine. Then I screwed a strip of wood to the back of the cam and countersink for screws from the front so it can be screwed to a tree. Back bolts are then totally hidden and buddy needs a long extension to get at the only visible screws holding it to the tree and 5 inch screws to try to unwind. That or a crow bar it ain't leaving. 5 minute job with a driver and the right bits to install big PITA to remove without the right tools. Plus without the strap you'd have to be looking right at it to see it blends in looks like a knot.

Bugle M In
12-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Sucks D. Maybe do like I do and work on hiding everything. I got some desert tan krylon and dabbed it on in blotches on my black cams. Loose the strap. Took a little screwing around to find some machine screws the right size to go into the tapped holes on the back of the camera turned out being 5mm on mine. Then I screwed a strip of wood to the back of the cam and countersink for screws from the front so it can be screwed to a tree. Back bolts are then totally hidden and buddy needs a long extension to get at the only visible screws holding it to the tree and 5 inch screws to try to unwind. That or a crow bar it ain't leaving. 5 minute job with a driver and the right bits to install big PITA to remove without the right tools. Plus without the strap you'd have to be looking right at it to see it blends in looks like a knot.

sounds like the manufacturers need to make these cams even more camo coloured including straps.
sorry to hear about the cams being stolen.
its unfortunate that people cant respect other peoples stuff these days.
I live in the LM, and you cant leave anything unattended, especially if it attracts a lot of interest.
you wouldn't leave a mountain bike unlocked here...its gone.. sad but true.
unless all these cams are sold that will only work with the right pass code etc, I think they will
continue to be taken, especially in high traffic hunting areas.
like many, I would like to own a few to use, but living in the LM, I would not be able to see to them on a regular basis.
Nor, can I afford to have the stolen....so I wont buy....this thread is a big reason why.

IslandBC
12-02-2015, 05:04 PM
What a load of crap. Hope you find the thief !
When I put my cam up I assume it's going to be stolen so I try my best put it a bit off the game trails where a person would most likely walk through. The strap around the tree sticks out like a sore thumb, grab natural foliage off the tree and tuck it in behind the strap so that it can hang over the strap and hides it. If you have moss around, throw it on top of your cam as well. I put my 2 ft off the ground and get great pictures. Also setting them high up and pointing down works good to (I've heard ) out of site out of mind.
Good luck win mag

Ambush
12-02-2015, 05:12 PM
It is illegal to remove anyone's private property from private or public land. Period!! And that includes trail cams.

You can rationalize or reason it all you want, but it is theft in the eyes of the law, plain and simple.

Inquire at your local detachment or ask a lawyer. I've done both.

Bugle M In
12-02-2015, 07:00 PM
It is illegal to remove anyone's private property from private or public land. Period!! And that includes trail cams.

You can rationalize or reason it all you want, but it is theft in the eyes of the law, plain and simple.

Inquire at your local detachment or ask a lawyer. I've done both.

no argument on that I don't think anybody argues on that point.
problem is, people still take stuff, on public or private land.
people steal....not all, just a few, but that's all it takes to make for a bad day.
and some people who steal, are more determined than others, and will go to greater lengths.
the only thing that can come from this sort of thread is sadly, but true, is....
advice on how to hide the cams better or how to lock them down better and in hopes that the
manufactures find better ways to leave these cams utterly useless by the person who steals them.
Than 1 day, maybe people will not be tempted to take them.
you can have 10 hunters walk by the cams and acknowledge they are there and leave them alone,
and the 11th guy to come along, hacks it out of the tree and walks away with it.
Sad!

rocksteady
12-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Simple solution... password/pass code to access device. Not rocket science...no need to lock it like Fort Knox... use the technology people...

Jagermeister
12-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Pretty sure the ole 77yr old that hunts back there, the only other Hunter other than owners son, is not gonna swipe my camera. He knocks on the door when he needs help with his buck. 4 years here, those are the only 2 hunters I've run into. I'm back there a lot, cams were less than a km from my house. Wife knows who goes through the gate when I'm gone. It's not rocket surgery who to suspect...Sounds like a head to head brewing. Offer to buy the property, problem solved.

Salty
12-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Simple solution... password/pass code to access device. Not rocket science...no need to lock it like Fort Knox... use the technology people...

Good chance the thief wouldn't discover that till later and it would end up in a dumpster or whatever..

rocksteady
12-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Good chance the thief wouldn't discover that till later and it would end up in a dumpster or whatever..

true...that...bro

.264winmag
12-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a head to head brewing. Offer to buy the property, problem solved.
Yup will come to a head one day. First thing I'd do if I one the lottery is buy it up. Unfortunately with the way the oil/gas is going currently I doubt I could afford 390 acres of beauty 2nd grow pine/fir. Even some old growth left in spots.