PDA

View Full Version : Landing a wheeled plane in the Tatshenshini

Alfonz
11-30-2015, 09:16 PM
I have a few questions regarding landing on wheels in the Tat. I have a few friends that have asked me to fly with them on wheels in the Tatshenshini and I thought I had seen/heard somewhere that it was not permitted. Does anyone have any in site on this? Please provide specific info against if they is any.
Can't see any problems with landing on gravel bars. It looks like a neat place to check out with a cub on bushwheels.

Al

dougan
11-30-2015, 09:57 PM
They wouldn't fwy if they wasn't wheel

Alfonz
11-30-2015, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=dougan;1719560]They wouldn't fwy if they wasn't wheel[/QUOTE

As Colombo would say" just the facts please Mam":-?

Cordillera
11-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Aw shucks Elmer!

To answer your question the Tat is a provincial park (almost all of it). You need a park use permit even to land a float plane or helicopter. I don't know the area very well but the management plan would have to allow wheeled plane landings and then you pay about five hundred for a permit. Check the BC Parks webpage if it's allowed or not.

Alfonz
11-30-2015, 10:21 PM
I had a look at the parks info page but did not see any thing that seemed glaring. But now that you mention it I do recall another pilot friend of mine needing some special permission but I thought it was just for picking up rafters in the Dry bay area on the US side.
I wonder how many times you can get carb ice and have to put down in that area before flags are raised? Probably lots of humidity in the area:-P

tangozulu
11-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Ive flown into the tat alsak junction in a wheeled 206. It was dam rough and dusty.

GoatGuy
12-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Call the Parks Branch section head out of Smithers or the folks in Dease Lake office.

Alfonz
12-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Call the Parks Branch section head out of Smithers or the folks in Dease Lake office.

I will send the an e-mail, but I did check out the parks website and did see that you are not allowed to fly in to Edziza unless you have permission from parks or you have a permit.
When I checked the Tat page again I did not see any notices. I guess we will see how they reply to the e-mail.

GoatGuy
12-01-2015, 08:15 PM
I will send the an e-mail, but I did check out the parks website and did see that you are not allowed to fly in to Edziza unless you have permission from parks or you have a permit.
When I checked the Tat page again I did not see any notices. I guess we will see how they reply to the e-mail.
Permits into provincial parks are usually only for commercial operators.

Permission letters are required for various recreational uses in some parks.

northernguy
12-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Don't let Parks tell you that aviation activities in "their" park violates the Aeronautics Act or the Canadian Aviation Regulations. PM me if you need more info.

tangozulu
12-01-2015, 10:34 PM
I have a few questions regarding landing on wheels in the Tat. I have a few friends that have asked me to fly with them on wheels in the Tatshenshini and I thought I had seen/heard somewhere that it was not permitted. Does anyone have any in site on this? Please provide specific info against if they is any.
Can't see any problems with landing on gravel bars. It looks like a neat place to check out with a cub on bushwheels.

Al
I believe the gravelbars msy be navigate waters. Parks has no authority below the high water mark.

Cordillera
12-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Inside a park boundary all the land is provincial crown land and designated as a park whether it's above or below water. Parks rules apply on the gravel bars.

tangozulu
12-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Permits into provincial parks are usually only for commercial operators.

Permission letters are required for various recreational uses in some parks.
Why would a business get access not allowed to the general public. What is the rationel here?

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Why would a business get access not allowed to the general public. What is the rationel here?

That's right. Didn't they grandfather in a permit for the GO to use a jetboat on the Tats while us residents can't do that?

GoatGuy
12-03-2015, 10:30 AM

What I was referring to is most parks require a commercial permit for commercial operations, but only a letter for recreational uses.

Having said that, there have been some backdoor deals over the years.

ColtonMoore
03-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Where did you fly out of? Did you use a pilot or have your own plane to use

Alfonz
03-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Where did you fly out of? Did you use a pilot or have your own plane to use
There is a strip @ mule creek,and have my own plane.

tangozulu
03-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Inside a park boundary all the land is provincial crown land and designated as a park whether it's above or below water. Parks rules apply on the gravel bars.

BC Parks has tried to use their authority on Atlin Lake but the Federal Nav Waters Act trumps the Provincial rules.