PDA

View Full Version : Ya gotta watch this...

Wagonmaster
11-30-2015, 05:49 PM
www.youtube.com/embed/ysa5OBhXz-Q?feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/embed/ysa5OBhXz-Q?feature=player_embedded)

Do you buy what this guy is saying? He's making a lot of claims. He uses the word deer throughout the whole video while elk stroll across the landscape, so credibility may be a tad suspect. :? Had tears in my eyes by the time it was over. :redface:

tuner
11-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Substitute wolves with hunters, and you could make the exact same argument, but of course it wouldn't fit into the videos pro wolf narrative.

rocksteady
11-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Another crazy brit drawing conclusions in a geography he has no clue about.. . David Atteburough narration does not make it fact... limey b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s

Looking_4_Jerky
11-30-2015, 07:44 PM
There is no doubt that uncontrolled and/or unmanaged ungulate populations can create undesirable ecosystem impacts. In national parks with significantly altered predator-prey communities, that might hold true. But replace predation with hunting and you accomplish the same thing. It has become somewhat clear in the past decade that ungulate populations cannot support a full compliment of predator populations, significant habitat removal/alteration due to human settlement, and a robust population of hunters.

Something's gotta give... I just hope it doesn't end up being me!

Shikari300WSM
11-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Substitute wolves with hunters, and you could make the exact same argument, but of course it wouldn't fit into the videos pro wolf narrative.

Could not agree more. Sure some of the stuff could make sense and of course there needs to be a balance of predators and prey, you can't have too much of one and not the other in any ecosystem. But it just seems a little too pro-wolf to me. Should get them to make a documentary of the east koots. Where one set of elk tracks is tailed by 8 wolves.

scoutlt1
11-30-2015, 07:57 PM
So a "trophic cascade" is not me on a weekend morning puking my guts out after drinking copious amounts of beer and eating uncooked shellfish from the night before??? Apparently it's "one of the most exciting scientific findings of the past half century"!!

I guess I had that all wrong.....

steveo
11-30-2015, 08:11 PM
I am shocked that the mighty Druid pack was not mentioned because anything media based about Yellowstone usually has the words wolf and druids in it. Seems like you can't have one with out the other, talk about your pro-wolf emotional intoxication.

Chopper
12-01-2015, 10:17 PM
This thread is obviously indirectly touching on the wolf cull. Wolves are a part of the natural cycle , they always have been , and unless we do something stupid they always will be. Its been proven time and time again , remove a species from the cycle and there will be problems.

I personally think Wild TV is a bigger problem than wolves