PDA

View Full Version : Question on Ground Blinds

HarryToolips
11-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Thinking of buying a ground blind for the last bit of late season bow hunting here...I imagine they are quite easily portable?? Setup normally quick??? My crossbow is only good up to 30 yards, and I have had deer bust me when I'm sitting on a stump or whatever last year before they came within shot distance.. does a blind impair sightlines etc pretty bad?? If I just carry it into an area and hunt in it right away, instead of leaving it there, do the deer usually notice it and stay away?? Thanks all....

Rich_D
11-30-2015, 11:48 AM
I use a popup type blind. CT has a decent one that I am looking at since dragging my current one for an undetermined measure of distance behind my quad.

You should pretty much have 360 degree sight depending on how wide the corners are, just have to move your head/body to avoid the corners.

Easy to carry, I usually have a small folding stool and my monopod in the bag with it.

I have left it set up for a week when we were moose hunting last year. Just make sure it's tied down securely on the off chance that it gets windy when you are not there.

hunter1947
11-30-2015, 11:56 AM
O ya deer will notice the blind will take a few weeks for the deer to get comfortable with the blind,,I put out some feed boxes near my trail cam the deer shied away from the feeder for a week or two till they knew it was no threat to them,,the only other thing that would be better at this time is a self climer they won't notice the climer..

BRvalley
11-30-2015, 12:14 PM
I shot my wt last year and this year, the next morning and second morning after setting up my blind...looking at my cams they were hanging out around my blind just a few hours after I setup and left

so I think it all depends on your setup, but setting up the same day you hunt, I think you could certainly be successful, but would want to consider the wind on that given day...and the type of area you're setting up in

I monitor my cams for activity, and try to set my blind up on a nearby edge, something with natural foliage to help break up my blinds appearance....setting up in a wide open field might take time for the animals to adjust I guess, but I'm in my blinds the next day after setting up

some blinds can be noisy if you are rubbing against it, or in a good wind, so I tie them down pretty good, and then also tie the walls out, this will help reduce noise if the wind is blowing...I also use those big office spring paper clips to roll the window material up and keep it pinned, had a group of does take off when the wind was blowing the window flaps around, even through mesh type windows I've had a strong wind give me issues

sight lines and shooting lanes should be considered when you set up....every blind is different in layout, open the blind up at home and sit in with your hunting stool and make sure it works, exchange if it doesn't...can't really return a blind after it's been setup in the field

Backwoods
11-30-2015, 12:56 PM
I shot my wt last year and this year, the next morning and second morning after setting up my blind...looking at my cams they were hanging out around my blind just a few hours after I setup and left

so I think it all depends on your setup, but setting up the same day you hunt, I think you could certainly be successful, but would want to consider the wind on that given day...and the type of area you're setting up in

I monitor my cams for activity, and try to set my blind up on a nearby edge, something with natural foliage to help break up my blinds appearance....setting up in a wide open field might take time for the animals to adjust I guess, but I'm in my blinds the next day after setting up

some blinds can be noisy if you are rubbing against it, or in a good wind, so I tie them down pretty good, and then also tie the walls out, this will help reduce noise if the wind is blowing...I also use those big office spring paper clips to roll the window material up and keep it pinned, had a group of does take off when the wind was blowing the window flaps around, even through mesh type windows I've had a strong wind give me issues

sight lines and shooting lanes should be considered when you set up....every blind is different in layout, open the blind up at home and sit in with your hunting stool and make sure it works, exchange if it doesn't...can't really return a blind after it's been setup in the field
Very well explained!!!!!

J_T
11-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Have you considered a treestand? The key benefit with a tree stand it gets your scent up off the ground. 20 minutes to hang. You don't have to be that high. Often, deer aren't looking up.

Whether your ground standing in a blind or treestanding, the key is to get in undetected.

HarryToolips
11-30-2015, 01:32 PM
^^^I have, but a self climber is a little more $$$ that I don't have.....thanks for the tips all....

Looking_4_Jerky
11-30-2015, 01:48 PM
There are a few total die-hard hunters out there who are hardy as a musk-ox and have the patience of a praying mantis. These guys (or gals) could sit in a tree stand for hours even on a cold morning. Then there's the rest of us! If I had to sit in a stand for two hours I'd be coming unglued by the time I came down. I know guys that use blinds and have them equipped with heaters, a cot, books, and just about anything you might need to make sitting in place a bit more bearable. I'm sure that J_T is totally correct that getting you off the ground controls scent far better, but that may be offset by the fact that with a few comforts, a person could reasonably be in a blind for an entire day. I can't think of how many times this year alone I heard friends say that trailcam pics show bucks coming not long before they were there or not long after, and that if they were able to stay hunkered down in the cold longer they think something would materialize. Scent may be better managed from a stand, but in temps below -10C, especially if there's any appreciable breeze, it would be tough to hang for a few hours, even for the most patient.

The guys in the blinds even have pee bottles (undeniably a must after a thermos of hot coffee). Try gearing down out of a parka and bib-pants from a tree stand in -20C!

Xenomorph
11-30-2015, 02:08 PM
^^^I have, but a self climber is a little more $$$ that I don't have.....thanks for the tips all....

CT price for a blind or a ladder climb treestand is the same ...roughly. And you sit your arse up and they won't smell you
Mask the ladder with some foliage, twigs and have at it

BRvalley
11-30-2015, 02:13 PM
my stand limit is somewhere in the minus teens, wind dependent, but can sit in a blind at -30 no problem....bow hunting is a bit tougher on blind amenities, rifle hunting is much forgiving with blind noise and scent

an empty liquid laundry detergent makes a great pee bottle

I discovered somebody's blind this year, built a platform about 12' up and put a pop up blind on it, pretty luxury setup, but a huge investment if that hotspot isn't a hotspot this year

coach
11-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Have you considered a treestand? The key benefit with a tree stand it gets your scent up off the ground. 20 minutes to hang. You don't have to be that high. Often, deer aren't looking up.

Whether your ground standing in a blind or treestanding, the key is to get in undetected.

How do you stay warm in a treestand, JT? Body suit? It's been as low as minus 24 this week in some of the areas I hunted. Sat dark to dark yesterday in a blind (-15 warming to -10 through the day) and my propane heater and a sleeping bag was the only thing that kept me going. Gonna post a somewhat humorous vid on "my 2015" thread soon..

J_T
11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
How do you stay warm in a treestand, JT? Body suit? It's been as low as minus 24 this week in some of the areas I hunted. Sat dark to dark yesterday in a blind (-15 warming to -10 through the day) and my propane heater and a sleeping bag was the only thing that kept me going. Gonna post a somewhat humorous vid on "my 2015" thread soon.. Well, no question at this time of year and temperature, you can't sit dawn til dusk in a stand. (Penis isn't long enough with the clothes you have on) You can do 4 hours comfortably though. Ok not entirely comfortably, the last hour your eyelashes might be stuck together. We prefer temperatures of -15 to -20. It forces the deer in to quite predictable patterns.

But, there are many ways to stay warm. Obviously layers is best. First timers in to camp are always surprised when they see the layers going on, but then after their first sit, they understand.

Noisy clothing doesn't work at all. Too much of it freezes up, becomes stiff and noisy.
A nice thin Merino wool and then place hot packs on the small of your back, (also in the gloves and on the back of the neck). Then put on the safety harness. Next another layer of heavier long johns. Followed by another pair, or a pair of sweat pants. Followed by the big bib pants. On the top, the grey wool Stanfield's shirt is key. And a good 'golf' sweater that has a nylon liner to break the wind. After that I only wear a vest, and another vest, a large fleece jacket, a winter camo on top of that, and if its dipping to -30 add another vest on top of that. The vest allows good range of motion in the shoulders. The safety harness line comes out the top of it all.

On top I wear a a couple of balaclavas, great big fur hat, and a scarf around the neck. I think it also matters what you stand on. I use a fleece 'pillow'. Fleece, folded in half, sewn closed and with a good foam inside. It quiets the feet.

I'm watching a number of sites right now and have 5 cameras out. I'm seeing the same patterns. We're hunting a feeding bedding scenario. Deer move from feed zone up through the treestands around daybreak. I don't worry about being in for daybreak. I let them move up and through. I go in to the stand around 10AM. I'm finding that most deer are up and moving again between 11 and 1PM. Sifting around and contouring along trails. So bottom line is, I don't need to be in the stand all the time. Just when they are moving through, relaxed and comfortable. I find the bucks aren't moving through at daybreak with the does, but much earlier in the morning (4 or 5 AM). But, the bucks are up and circulating in the middle of the day. So back to the treestand. Maybe we don't need to be there all day. I hang them in two's about 500 yards apart, as I hunt with my brother.

My steps are 18 inches apart and I use about 9 or 10 to get me up and then a few for safety mounting and dismounting. Remember, when you are hunting, you are bundled deep and you are stiff/cold so keep the steps close. I'm up about 15 feet. Sorry, I probably said more than just a reply.

coach
11-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Awesome reply! Thanks JT.. That's great info.

HarryToolips
11-30-2015, 04:38 PM
All very good info thanks all...I guess I can't just move a blind into an area and expect deer within an hour or 2 though eh??? I don't wanna leave a blind in an area or put it in an area and come back the next day, as I have several areas that I hunt kind of on a rotating basis...

Xenomorph
11-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Well, no question at this time of year and temperature, you can't sit dawn til dusk in a stand. (Penis isn't long enough with the clothes you have on) You can do 4 hours comfortably though. Ok not entirely comfortably, the last hour your eyelashes might be stuck together. We prefer temperatures of -15 to -20. It forces the deer in to quite predictable patterns.

But, there are many ways to stay warm. Obviously layers is best. First timers in to camp are always surprised when they see the layers going on, but then after their first sit, they understand.

Noisy clothing doesn't work at all. Too much of it freezes up, becomes stiff and noisy.
A nice thin Merino wool and then place hot packs on the small of your back, (also in the gloves and on the back of the neck). Then put on the safety harness. Next another layer of heavier long johns. Followed by another pair, or a pair of sweat pants. Followed by the big bib pants. On the top, the grey wool Stanfield's shirt is key. And a good 'golf' sweater that has a nylon liner to break the wind. After that I only wear a vest, and another vest, a large fleece jacket, a winter camo on top of that, and if its dipping to -30 add another vest on top of that. The vest allows good range of motion in the shoulders. The safety harness line comes out the top of it all.

On top I wear a a couple of balaclavas, great big fur hat, and a scarf around the neck. I think it also matters what you stand on. I use a fleece 'pillow'. Fleece, folded in half, sewn closed and with a good foam inside. It quiets the feet.

I'm watching a number of sites right now and have 5 cameras out. I'm seeing the same patterns. We're hunting a feeding bedding scenario. Deer move from feed zone up through the treestands around daybreak. I don't worry about being in for daybreak. I let them move up and through. I go in to the stand around 10AM. I'm finding that most deer are up and moving again between 11 and 1PM. Sifting around and contouring along trails. So bottom line is, I don't need to be in the stand all the time. Just when they are moving through, relaxed and comfortable. I find the bucks aren't moving through at daybreak with the does, but much earlier in the morning (4 or 5 AM). But, the bucks are up and circulating in the middle of the day. So back to the treestand. Maybe we don't need to be there all day. I hang them in two's about 500 yards apart, as I hunt with my brother.

My steps are 18 inches apart and I use about 9 or 10 to get me up and then a few for safety mounting and dismounting. Remember, when you are hunting, you are bundled deep and you are stiff/cold so keep the steps close. I'm up about 15 feet. Sorry, I probably said more than just a reply.

That's awesome info JT, although a little disheartening for big boys like me. I think the limit for some stands is around 250lbs, and as I walk around butt naked at 270lbs once I put all the gear on I'm well over a good bear's size. Ain't no ****ing stand that's going to hold me safely. Treestand climbing type anyways, not the built for zombie apocalypse ones.

Guess I have a year until next season to shed the lard - not much around I say, wife vehemently disagrees. To each their own I guess, what she sees as fat, I see as insulation.

OK, enough derailment. What brand of stand you use? I was looking to buy a Lone Wolf but the weight limit put me off.

Surrey Boy
11-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Very well explained!!!!!
Indeed. . .

wiggy
11-30-2015, 08:13 PM
I set up always with my back to a tree. I try to get under one and clear saw off the branches to allow me to shoot. Try to setup on the trail where you can see they actually always walk through. Then make your spot against the wind direction. I have different areas that I go to where ive been so many time its like walking into my backyard and there a 100 k apart. Soak or at least spray your boots with good doe in heat urine when you leave the truck; I spray my pack too and in some spots I spray a drag cloth and drag it behind me a few feet. NOSE is the game. When I first go to a site that I going to hunt for a few days I tie a piece of leather up off the ground across from my main shooting lane. If your after a big buck you can actually make a scent trail. Space the leather tabs every 100 yrds. Soakem and leavem Seen bucks follow the trail like a dog after a bone. Kill deer every year. You can sit on a sleeping bag if your ass cant handle the cold
Layer up. Good wool blanket or another sleeping bag on top if its real cold like below -10. Love hunting em in December. Shoot straight and take out lungs. Better to be a little forward on the shot then behind Coyote bait if your too far back. Good luck

Sitkaspruce
11-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Well, no question at this time of year and temperature, you can't sit dawn til dusk in a stand. (Penis isn't long enough with the clothes you have on) You can do 4 hours comfortably though. Ok not entirely comfortably, the last hour your eyelashes might be stuck together. We prefer temperatures of -15 to -20. It forces the deer in to quite predictable patterns.

Great explanation JT!!!

However, how do you shoot your bow with all those clothes on?? I have a hard time shooting with my merino, bibs, stannies and a heavy wool shirt......all those clothes you wear would make it hard to move around.

If I can add a little bit more about the blinds:

- Make sure it fits you and all your gear, plus you can shoot what ever weapon you shoot out of it while sitting down.

- get a chair that has arms and does not make any noise when you move. I tried the plastic deck chairs this year and really like them.

- set them up as soon as you can, I know you are talking about different places each time you hunt, but if you keep an eye out at Cabelas, CT, WSS and others, you can find great deals. I own 4 blinds and never paid more than $120 for any of them, including 2 Bone Collector Brotherhoods (which retail over $250). The reason to get them set up is 1 - yes so the deer can get used to them and 2 - you can get the ground cleaned up for leaves, twigs, snow etc to reduce the noise(this has busted me more than once in my first year with a blind)

- Once they are set up, place black plastic bags in the windows you want to shoot out of. This gets the deer used to the black holes that will appear when you actually remove the window coverings.
I remove the shoot through screens as they give me a headache when trying to look through them. Also, make sure you only open the windows that you want to shoot through; if you open one too many, you can highlight yourself in the blind. I usually open mine to half way and open the corners halfway as well.

A couple views

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunt%20fish%202014/IMG_0091_zpsf1297b59.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sitkaspruce/media/Hunt%20fish%202014/IMG_0091_zpsf1297b59.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunt%20fish%202015/IMG_1714_zpsvxzv2uo2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sitkaspruce/media/Hunt%20fish%202015/IMG_1714_zpsvxzv2uo2.jpg.html)

I have had to learn a totally new way to hunt with ground blinds as I have always been a sneak though the woods hunter, but I am hooked and really like this way of hunting.

Cheers

SS

Rich_D
11-30-2015, 09:37 PM
If you have specific spots that you hunt all the time and move between you could always build a ground blind out of the fallen timbers and other forest debris.

My first year hunting I went up to a spot with a buddy and he sent me up a dead end road. When I reached the end I went for a hike up above a cut block. I ended up finding a small "log house" that someone had built out of what was left in the cut, including a roof with a tarp covered by more logs. Had a large "window" out the front of it and a crawl through door. I even had a deer in my sights from it that day but had such a bad case of Buck Fever that I couldn't keep the gun still enough to comfortably pull the trigger.

E.V.B.H.
11-30-2015, 10:23 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5575&stc=1My blind this year, first time elevating it. Works great they just look right underneath it. I have set up and shot a deer on the same day before, but it was probably just good luck. I usually have cam pics by the next day though. Just pick your best spot lock the blind to a tree and sit for as long as you can whenever you can. As stated a heater and sleeping bag make a cold day quite comfy, wear black as your outer layer and don't open windows behind you or anywhere else you can't shoot.

Shot this little 4x4 on my third sit this year, a week after setup at 25 yds
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5576&stc=1

HarryToolips
11-30-2015, 10:25 PM
I set up always with my back to a tree. I try to get under one and clear saw off the branches to allow me to shoot. Try to setup on the trail where you can see they actually always walk through. Then make your spot against the wind direction. I have different areas that I go to where ive been so many time its like walking into my backyard and there a 100 k apart. Soak or at least spray your boots with good doe in heat urine when you leave the truck; I spray my pack too and in some spots I spray a drag cloth and drag it behind me a few feet. NOSE is the game. When I first go to a site that I going to hunt for a few days I tie a piece of leather up off the ground across from my main shooting lane. If your after a big buck you can actually make a scent trail. Space the leather tabs every 100 yrds. Soakem and leavem Seen bucks follow the trail like a dog after a bone. Kill deer every year. You can sit on a sleeping bag if your ass cant handle the cold
Layer up. Good wool blanket or another sleeping bag on top if its real cold like below -10. Love hunting em in December. Shoot straight and take out lungs. Better to be a little forward on the shot then behind Coyote bait if your too far back. Good luck
Some good ideas, thanks....

HarryToolips
11-30-2015, 10:29 PM
If you have specific spots that you hunt all the time and move between you could always build a ground blind out of the fallen timbers and other forest debris.

My first year hunting I went up to a spot with a buddy and he sent me up a dead end road. When I reached the end I went for a hike up above a cut block. I ended up finding a small "log house" that someone had built out of what was left in the cut, including a roof with a tarp covered by more logs. Had a large "window" out the front of it and a crawl through door. I even had a deer in my sights from it that day but had such a bad case of Buck Fever that I couldn't keep the gun still enough to comfortably pull the trigger.
Ya I built one at one of my spots, killed one this year there...problem is at my other spots I always find better places to sit lol so I'm always reluctant to build one...

hunter1947
12-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Having a tree stand verses a blind they both have there ups and downs the ups on a tree stand is you can move it anywhere you want,,the upside of a blind is you can stay warmer in it late season ,,the early season the tree stand is the way that I would go ..

When setting up in thicker timber you can see better then that of a ground blind the tree stand when up hi you're scent does not carry out as much as that if you were in a ground blind..

Both the tree stand and the blind do have there ups and downs ,,the only bad thing about a tree stand late season is if it's -10 or colder it's hard to sit in the stand to keep warm other than late season hunting with the tree stand it a nice tool to use in the early season hunts,,I know that I will be in my tree stand in the WK in the bow season early rifle season in 2016...

hunter1947
12-01-2015, 06:52 AM

X2 well said my self climber I can be up the tree in 5 min set up in 10 min..

GoatGuy
12-01-2015, 10:09 AM
blind, chair, sleeping bag, little buddy heater and a thermos seems to work....... soft shape blinds better than 'square' blinds. We only have one window open, allows a person to move around and make a bit of noise. You can expect deer through right after if the wind is right.

Good luck

HarryToolips
12-01-2015, 02:19 PM
blind, chair, sleeping bag, little buddy heater and a thermos seems to work....... soft shape blinds better than 'square' blinds. We only have one window open, allows a person to move around and make a bit of noise. You can expect deer through right after if the wind is right.

Good luck
So you think as long as the wind is AOK, I can park my ass in a blind that I just setup at say 9 am and have deer not notice it and walk through a couple hours later??

GoatGuy
12-01-2015, 02:35 PM
So you think as long as the wind is AOK, I can park my ass in a blind that I just setup at say 9 am and have deer not notice it and walk through a couple hours later??

yes.......... particularly if you have something to break up the shape in the background

J_T
12-01-2015, 07:19 PM
So you think as long as the wind is AOK, I can park my ass in a blind that I just setup at say 9 am and have deer not notice it and walk through a couple hours later??In the case you describe yes, deer will notice it. They notice the smallest of detail. The question is, will it alarm them and keep them from coming in. Probably not. But, Id be packing a light weight treestand. Why set up a ground blind they'll notice, when you have the choice to be invisible? Hunt until you find a good pocket and put up your stand. Not to late in the day of course. But you can totally hunt until 1 or 2 and hang that stand in the area of your best odds and sit until dark.

We also have a 3 sit rule. You should only sit 3 times in short succession before giving the zone a rest.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-01-2015, 09:20 PM
I also use my Coleman catalytic heater in a treestand. I stick it under my seat and wrap a blanket around my waist. Works well but has made for some interesting stories.

GoatGuy
12-01-2015, 09:26 PM
I also use my Coleman catalytic heater in a treestand. I stick it under my seat and wrap a blanket around my waist. Works well but has made for some interesting stories.
Nothing like being 12 ft up and on fire.....

GoatGuy
12-01-2015, 09:28 PM
In the case you describe yes, deer will notice it. They notice the smallest of detail. The question is, will it alarm them and keep them from coming in. Probably not. But, Id be packing a light weight treestand. Why set up a ground blind they'll notice, when you have the choice to be invisible? Hunt until you find a good pocket and put up your stand. Not to late in the day of course. But you can totally hunt until 1 or 2 and hang that stand in the area of your best odds and sit until dark.

We also have a 3 sit rule. You should only sit 3 times in short succession before giving the zone a rest.
Interesting, we have spots people will sit in for a week straight or more every year and every year those spots will result in multiple dead bucks (sometimes in the same day). Some spots we've been hunting for 15-20 years in the exact same spot shooting deer every year no problemo.

It seems the 'trick' is making sure you don't educate the does to avoid the area ... or pick a travel corridor so the deer aren't feeding as they go through

HarryToolips
12-02-2015, 01:58 PM
yes.......... particularly if you have something to break up the shape in the background

Very good info, thanks...

HarryToolips
12-02-2015, 01:58 PM
In the case you describe yes, deer will notice it. They notice the smallest of detail. The question is, will it alarm them and keep them from coming in. Probably not. But, Id be packing a light weight treestand. Why set up a ground blind they'll notice, when you have the choice to be invisible? Hunt until you find a good pocket and put up your stand. Not to late in the day of course. But you can totally hunt until 1 or 2 and hang that stand in the area of your best odds and sit until dark.

Good points, thanks...Treestand out of my budget for this season doh!!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Good points, thanks...Treestand out of my budget for this season doh!!

But there are people who live close by willing to loan one out to you.

GoatGuy
12-02-2015, 07:58 PM
But there are people who live close by willing to loan one out to you.
Yep, we have one sitting in the garage right now. So long as no one is using it, HT is more than welcome to it.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Yep, we have one sitting in the garage right now. So long as no one is using it, HT is more than welcome to it.

Yep. Here too. All tagged out here in region 8 and have two in garage. One hang on. One self climber. Don't be a stranger HT!

boxhitch
12-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Consider something like a Primos stake-out blind , basically just a screen to hide behind . Portable and fast to set up , just enough to hide movement. Can be used with stakes or just wrap around a couple of trees or alders. Easy to make with some burlap , or white parachute material.
Wind will give you away way faster than being seen.

bearheart
12-10-2015, 09:03 PM
That's awesome info JT, although a little disheartening for big boys like me. I think the limit for some stands is around 250lbs, and as I walk around butt naked at 270lbs once I put all the gear on I'm well over a good bear's size. Ain't no ****ing stand that's going to hold me safely. Treestand climbing type anyways, not the built for zombie apocalypse ones.

Guess I have a year until next season to shed the lard - not much around I say, wife vehemently disagrees. To each their own I guess, what she sees as fat, I see as insulation.

OK, enough derailment. What brand of stand you use? I was looking to buy a Lone Wolf but the weight limit put me off.:razz: They make tree stands for big guys , I have one, bought it at cabelas several years ago. I haven't seen 270lbs since Jr. High, sigh.....