PDA

View Full Version : cleaner Beetles in kamloops?

Kirby
05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Anybody around here carry some good cleaner beetles? Or anybody have some they wanna give away? Never used them before and would like to see how well they work.

Kirby

Hilgy
05-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey Kirby,

I have never heard of cleaner beetles what are they??

Hilgy

Kirby
05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
they are a beetle that you put on the skull of an animal and it eats the flesh off. Cleaner beetles is just something I call them, to be honest I can't remeber the "correct" name for them.

Kirby

steveo32
05-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Kirby pm t-bone in this site i think he might have had them at one point:S Or ask steady girl:)

I thought Tru might have had them you could also check that out too.

If not phone some taxi's and see what they have to say

steve

If not just bury it in a ant pile and it should clean up in a month or 2 :twisted:

ruger#1
05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Are they also known as the burying beetle,They are red and black and i think they do the same thing.I have a book called bugs of B.C was reading about them.

Dirty
05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
I believe they are called Dermestid Beetles. Try looking for somewhere to buy them online or contacting pet stores. Another thing to try would be contacting somebody in the Biology Department at your university. They could probably order them from one of their lab suppliers.

Kirby
05-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I talked to pet stores, apparently I need a permit to own them? But its a 18 year old minumum wage kid so what the hell would he know? I talked to the head of our lab department last year about it, they had nothing, any of the skulls that were donated were already cleaned, or they just boiled the hell out of it.

Steve, totally forgot that t-bone had some before, I'll fire off a pm.

Kirby

Dirty
05-13-2007, 01:25 PM
The guy that does the ordering at my lab has some in his office. He has a small aquarium of them. I will email him tonight and see where he got them from and if there is a possibility of getting more or some of his.

Gun Dog
05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Read this thread (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=139792&postcount=27) with a link to raising your own beetles.

Will
05-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Anybody around here carry some good cleaner beetles? Or anybody have some they wanna give away? Never used them before and would like to see how well they work.

Kirby
Carpet beetles for the Laymen........:smile:

There are some mail order suppliers from the states but I checked into it awhile back and noone will ship to Canada........:|

Takes quite awhile to get a sustainable "Colony" established..........and man do they produce a stink !
Definately not something for someone with close neighbors :lol:

FWIW: the beetles are the "best" way to clean up a Skull, I believe the College here may have some set up ???

Kirby
05-13-2007, 11:17 PM
I talked to one of the head biologist, he isn't sure if they still have them, apparently they got out a couple of times and did some damage to the ornithology departments bird collection and some of the mounts in the lab... he is gonna check it out, if they got them I'm gonna grab some and get a colony going.

Kirby

Will
05-13-2007, 11:21 PM
I talked to one of the head biologist, he isn't sure if they still have them, apparently they got out a couple of times and did some damage to the ornithology departments bird collection and some of the mounts in the lab... he is gonna check it out, if they got them I'm gonna grab some and get a colony going.

Kirby
Yep........just don't let em escape in your house :lol: :lol: :lol:
Might wake up with fleshless toes..........:|

Kirby
05-13-2007, 11:32 PM
lol, I just wonder how much I'll need to feed them the rest of the year to keep them alive? My bear rug might go missing...

As to the smell and neighbours, mine is a vegi hippy so who cares.

Kirby

srupp
05-14-2007, 12:09 AM
hmmm Steady and T-Bone where the only ones I knew that had the beetles..was going to get them to do Tims Grizzly skull but he had already had it boiled..

Steven

Elkhound
05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I talked to pet stores, apparently I need a permit to own them?
Damn permits......and then you have to register each beetle.......and the storage laws......when will it end. And don't forget, if a beetle has antennas shorter than 1.2mm it is prohibited and you can't own it.

Will
05-14-2007, 05:18 PM
lol, I just wonder how much I'll need to feed them the rest of the year to keep them alive?........

As to the smell and neighbours, mine is a vegi hippy so who cares.

Well you could always feed them the hippy in the off season.....:|