PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the coho?!!?

big blue
11-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Took my 5 yr old boy fishin on sat afternoon. We went northeast side of the fraser, to a spot i and many others have fished for an eternity. Expecting to work through the "boots" to find a semichromer. Much to my dismay and disbelief the river was empty! What the @?@?im thinkn. Theres should b schools of coho in here!??! I counted maybe a dozen (easy to spot rivers a ditch right now). This don' seem right. So we put in a lil time with some prime roe n released a few of those boots n a plump cutty. Still i was wondering wheres the run. We stopped in at the hatchery on the way home. Yup chum were present and accounted for. Coho maybe 10 to 1 amongst the chum? Heres my question to others, whats going on, wheres the run? Heard veddar was medioker this yr for hoes... Just a bad year or are they gettin intercepted somewhere?

adriaticum
12-01-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm thinking you might be a little late

lip_ripper00
12-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking you might be a little late

I don't know Alex, I have had some great days on the Chehalis mid to end of Dec.(and no I don't keep boots) hoping to get out in the next few weeks.

one-shot-wonder
12-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Not nearly too late. Caught chrome hoes into January. When the iron's are showing up....havent been on the river in years, not sure what is with this year. Check in again.....

M.Dean
12-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Well, when you guys are done find'in your Coho, any chance you could help me find my B&C record book Mulie Buck? He's up here some where's, but be damed if I can find that stinky olde Sum mmm Bitch!

lip_ripper00
12-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Well, when you guys are done find'in your Coho, any chance you could help me find my B&C record book Mulie Buck? He's up here some where's, but be damed if I can find that stinky olde Sum mmm Bitch!

Put the glass down and look in the back yard.....

Mulehahn
12-01-2015, 09:07 PM
This cold snap really dropped water levels and put a stop on fish coming up. I volunteer at a local salmon hatchery and and we haven't seen a new fish in about a week. I keep up with what is going on with the other hatcheries in the area as well and it has been a bizarre year. Our hatchery has received about 1/3 the coho we usually do, but we received a way more chinook and chum. Other hatcheries received significantly more coho but almost no springs. I think that with the crazy drought we had this summer and the flash storms followed by weeks of nothing have really scattered the salmon. I am hoping that this rain tonight will bring up what fish are left.

rides bike to work
12-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Definatly a poor year like mulehahn said the rivers where either super low or raging high with very little time in between. There where some good days in between but you had to be in the right place at right time.

tubby
12-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Didn't help all the beach seining on the Harrison and the endless comm and native openings that annihilated the fraser this fall