PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer

bmynbr
11-29-2015, 08:33 PM
I have never hunted before, and have been reading through the synopsis trying to learn what I can before next year. Is there a minimum limit of points? Couldn't find an answer. Maybe I just missed it.
Thanks, dave

M.Dean
11-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Yes there is, and it varys from Management Unit to MU. What you might want to do is find someone around your area, or in your group of friends that hunt already, because there are a number of things to do with hunting that can get you in lots of trouble if you do them wrong. Both with point restrictions and with firearms, but keep reading as much as you can about this sport we all love, and if you have questions, I'm sure we can help you out, good luck.

tinhorse
11-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Every area and season has point restrictions. Usually 4 point fron opening (sept 10 ) to the end of sept. Any buck in October and 4 point again in November. But You have to look up the seasons for each region. Region 3 is open until dec 10 where others close at the end on November. Just keep reading and go through each region. You'll find the answers you're looking for

GotaGun
11-29-2015, 08:49 PM
That's why I like any buck times.or mu.
No counting if it has something on its head it's good to go.
Maybe best place/area for first year☺

GotaGun
11-29-2015, 08:59 PM
In synopsis between mu and dates is class.
Usually for mules will say :bucks. Antlerless
.either sex or 4 piont.

bmynbr
11-29-2015, 09:29 PM
In synopsis between mu and dates is class.
Usually for mules will say :bucks. Antlerless
.either sex or 4 piont.

So if it says buck, is that any amount of points?

finngun
11-29-2015, 09:39 PM
yep..8-) good to bang..

Jelvis
11-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Go with terms antlerless and antlered as well as doe or buck.
A young mule deer buck is antlerless until the antler breaks thru the skin covered knobs on at least one side.
Antlerless leh is good to start for next season for antlerless mules in Region 3.
If you get lucky on the LEH for antlerless mule deer you have a high percentage chance at a mule deer without antlers.
Or hunt Any Buck October in and around Kamloops for any mule buck and you have a good chance at scoring a fat two point or so.
Read the present BC Hunting Synopsis and start in Reg 3 information and learn the trend of the General Open Season and it's rules and regulations concerning mule deer in 3.
Region 3 is prime mule deer hunting country at a beyond world class rating for mule deer.
Topography like Colorado and big Rocky Mountain Mule Deer proto type specimens of the mule deer family.
Jel -- ( Rocko's ) Step Bro -- in Dah Loopy Town of Kammy Double Deer Wammy.

dracb
12-01-2015, 11:21 AM
If you are asking this question you should a) take the core course or b) if you took the core course ask for a refund and take it again from another instructor

Husky7mm
12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
If you are asking this question you should a) take the core course or b) if you took the core course ask for a refund and take it again from another instructor

Yes, this is in the core course.

bmynbr
12-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Like I said, I've never hunted, and am just reading right now.

Husky7mm
12-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Like I said, I've never hunted, and am just reading right now.

Fair enough but your putting the cart in front of the horse. In the core course they teach you about identification and how to use, and understand the synopsis.

RoscoeP
12-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Look at page 5 of the regs so you understand the difference between a 3 and a 4 point buck.

bmynbr
12-02-2015, 11:58 PM
Yup I understand the difference. Was just curious about the whole bucks thing, because I had only looked at region 2 and doesn't have 4 points. Just bucks

Jelvis
12-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Your learning and interested in hunting and that is healthy thinking. Hunting is fun and it has benefits like high protein venison. You will learn thru desire and enjoy the freedom of being able to have a nice rifle and take a drive in the back country and have a walk around the bush.
Jello -- Your doing good so far, Region 8 is also a great region for mule deer hunting. Close to Vancouver. Princeton area etc and MU's like 8-5.

finngun
12-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Jello,,bell.. ya put it right way for the yang fella..hunting and fishing is one of the best think ya can do,,,with ya pants on... rest of it ya have to guess......:confused::shock::tongue:

12-03-2015, 11:14 AM
The guy is new, he said so as well. He asked a question on a hunting forum looking for understanding..... how about explaining it to him.... instead of coming up with "go back to school" .... If i was interested in the idea of hunting i would google it... and would have found this site... and i would ask questions.... i would have done that well before actually starting a course........

when is says "Bucks" it means Any buck. If you look at the Region 8 bag limit pages you will notice a " Bucks" season and a " 4 point plus" season.
now go to the page Roscoe pointed out and look at the definition of 4 point. you do not count the brow tine,,, this is a common mistake for new hunters without a mentor..
to confuse things further, in some management units you can shoot a buck in "Any buck" and another in "4 point plus" but not in every Management unit... You need to also figure out "bag limit for deer per MU"

Jelvis
12-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Starting hunting on mule deer is the best way to start a hunting loving life. Mule deer in BC are large in size and are plentiful in many areas of the Interior and Chilcotin and over to Cranbrook. So you can drive up the Coquihalla Hwy to Exit 240 or 256 or go to Exit 315 or 336 or the Fraser canyon way Hwy 1 to Cache Creek area which is another prime mule deer town.
Hunting mule deer can be easy or very challenging depending on your wants and desires.
Mule deer are at a 1000 feet level and all the way up as far as you could hike.
Big bucks lil bucks and antlerless LEH with abundant chances with a long general open season and months of LEH to take make use of.
Mule deer meat is delicious and nutritious if the hunter shoots clean and dresses the carcass clean and all the edibles in top shelf presentable. High organic meat with natural protein will have your system in shape to get in better physical condition at the gym.
-- Mule deer give the hunter more hours of hunting pleasure in the southern interior of BC than any other big game animal. Mule deer are a pleasure to hunt in the topography they call home range. Semi-open timbered hills with gentle to extreme slopes to hunt.
Anyvayz your on the road to a hunting adventure lifestyle that can grip your heart with it's fist brah
Jello Von Muley kind