PDA

View Full Version : One day left....

Cyrus
11-29-2015, 06:53 PM
...then its tag soup...100's of does the last few days one 3x3, a couple dink bucks and nothing else...By far this has been my worst hunting season to date and so frustrated that it might be time for a new hobby...

Sofa King
11-29-2015, 06:59 PM
you need a different outlook on it.
I go out for the actual "hunt" and just being out there in nature.
the "killing" part isn't even fun for me, because it signifies the end of those days in the field.
every season is a success for me because I see new things every time I am out, usually see new bucks and some familiar ones that have grown more from the previous season, and get lots and lots of exercise.

dougan
11-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Yep he is sofa king rite ! Just being out there is what it's about!

Wentrot
11-29-2015, 07:13 PM
As they said, it's about way more than filling a tag. I can't even take a stab at how many days I have been out and Kms hiked without seeing even a doe lol in my opinion your last few days sound friggin awesome.

BigD_83
11-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Or you could go a bit further afield. Region 3 is still open a while longer.

Keep at'er, and enjoy every moment you are putting foot to ground.

Mikey Rafiki
11-29-2015, 07:26 PM
You're right. One day left until bow season begins! I'm pumped.

HarryToolips
11-29-2015, 07:29 PM
you need a different outlook on it.
I go out for the actual "hunt" and just being out there in nature.
the "killing" part isn't even fun for me, because it signifies the end of those days in the field.
every season is a success for me because I see new things every time I am out, usually see new bucks and some familiar ones that have grown more from the previous season, and get lots and lots of exercise.
^^^^^THIS.....for me, I'm hikin or shootin campin etc year round in the woods whenever I can get out, huntin season is just a bonus, I can carry tags and fill the freezer...

two-feet
11-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Getting skunked just focuses the obsession more for next year.....

GotaGun
11-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Some of region 2 good till Dec 15☺.

M.Dean
11-29-2015, 09:42 PM
I've been telling people for my whole life when they start to get down on them selves towards the last day of the hunting trip, hunt every day with the same mind set, and energy you had on the first day! Hell Man, your in the great outdoors, you've got a rifle in your hands, what in Gods name more could you ask for!!! Yeaaa Hawww, you still have a whole day left to hunt, and who knows, remember the young lady hunter on here that after packing every thing from there unsucessfull moose hunt, took a walk around the truck and trailer, and Low and Behold Man!!! There's the Bull Moose she's been dreaming about and couldn't find all week standing there looking at her! Bang! Flop! And the guy on here that had to catch a ferry to get home, so before he went to pick up the wife and Kids, he gave it one last kick at the can so to speak, and 100 yards before he hit the pavement from the dirt road he was hunting all weekend, what does he see??? Yup, a Buck! Again, Bang Flop! So, go blow your nose, and wipe them tears away, and now go set the alarm for 5:am! Your going hunt'in tomorrow!!! What could be nicer than that, Eh!!! And, just a quick reminder, don't hunt around my place, and if you do get a massive B&C Buck some where's else, you gott'a put my name in the credits part too! Good Luck tomorrow!

tenrag
11-29-2015, 09:49 PM
I agree with sofa king. I tagged out on Oct 17th this year and was a bit disappointed I was done so early. I enjoy hunting in the snow so me and my dog have gone for lots of hikes to see what we can see. I have also been helping a rookie hunter get his first deer which he had success a couple weeks ago. I live close to an area that the elk winter in so it is fun to find them and see who survived the fall. I will continue to keep tabs on them during the winter and will seek their sheds in the spring. Year round hobby with the bonus of meat in the freezer.

sniper58
11-30-2015, 07:54 AM
nice little 4x4 mulie in my back yard this morning cleaning out the bird feeders. Too bad I live in town and have neighbors.

hunter1947
11-30-2015, 08:13 AM
...then its tag soup...100's of does the last few days one 3x3, a couple dink bucks and nothing else...By far this has been my worst hunting season to date and so frustrated that it might be time for a new hobby...

We all get years like the likes of not getting nothing it happens to the best of us I know it happened to me this year I got squat to put in my freezer,,what I do is put it behind me and think about the next coming years hunt ,,I got skunked for elk for 3 years and yes I got down on myself I thought I was going to get the skunk on the fourth year was down to the last day of the elk hunt went out and hammered this nice 6x6 elk ,,no never say die till the end..

Try to better yourself on what you should do to make the next year better for you a person will and can go ahead but there is no turning back on what should had been..

Here is a video clip one day before the season ended for elk

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/01023.jpg

Looking_4_Jerky
11-30-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm with Cyrus and I have no problem admitting it to myself and others. I love spending time in the outdoors. I fish, hike, hunt, take wilderness/wildlife pics, enjoy observing wildlife behavior. Some of those things are very likely to happen while I hunt. But make no mistake, I hunt to hunt and to be successful at some point. I absolutely expect it. If all I was after was the hike, I'd sell the gun and spend the money on fishing gear! I don't take my privilege to hunt for granted, and am very aware of how lucky I am to be able to hunt in such a great Province, but I'm all for calling a spade a spade too. If the wolves have cleaned the deer out of an area, or the buck to doe ratio is very poor in an MU, or the proportion of mature bucks is nearly nil, or road densities are too high or low it matters. If I had no real "expectation", I'd shrug it off and say, "oh well, maybe it will be better next year". To some extent we all do this, but no question, our tolerance for it is finite. At some point, most of us are likely to cash the chips in on a game that is progressively meeting our desired outcomes less and less often.

Well, something tells me that Cyrus will still be at this hunting thing next year. But, the fact that he's expressing disappointment and/or frustration is perfectly legitimate to me. It's not legitimate to have to call every day in the woods a good one because you got to see a starling sh!t on your windshield :)