PDA

View Full Version : 7-20A ELK LEH - Looking for Private Land for Junior Hunter

APOSTLEsix
11-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone,

My son won the LEH Any Sex Elk for 7-20A Dec 1-Feb 28 and I am hoping to fill his tag sometime over the winter.
We will be heading out regardless but seeing as our luck this year has been quite dismal and we are quite disheartened by how much time we have spent trecking through the wilds with nothing to show for it, I thought it might be best to ask if any farmer around Dawson Creek has an invasive herd problem on their ranch over these winter months.

My son is 11 years old and despite our two weeks of moose hunting and his backyard (region 5) LEH antlerless draw he still hasn't been able to connect with any big game this season.
I usually would simply hit the bush but since I have no elk hunting experience and we have already drained the hunting budget for the year (time and money) I thought I'd try to secure a bit of a backup plan.
If you are able to help us out, and we are able to help you out in kind, please PM me and I will look forward to communicating with you about this.

My thought was that I would just build a short list of people who might generally have issues with Elk camping out on their properties and contact them when we are able to head up there, or vice versa they can contact us when the menace arrives.

Thanks in advance,

APOSTLEsix
12-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Bump, no replies so far

Rhyno
12-08-2015, 05:20 PM
This hunt is not like it used to be. Most have their hay fenced, problem elk are not as common any more. I had the draw a few years ago, but the elk were only on the fields if it were very very cold or if there is lots of snow. We hunted hard, both of us filled our tags the last morning which was more out of luck than anything else.

Lots of tags, but not a barrel shoot anymore. I think srupp went up blind and knocked on doors till he found someone to give him permission, if I remember correctly he went back in the summer to help out as a way or repaying the favour.

Sitkaspruce
12-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Rhyno is dead on, not the hunt like to used to be, but the elk are still around. Getting harder to find permission though, thanks to a mix of stuff being fenced and asshats that have screwed it for everyone just so they can kill something.

My hunting partner got his this morning, 11am out in the field feeding with 11 other cow/calves. The neat thing was before this happened, he had a bull bugling at him, screaming and grunting like it was mid September. He was cow chirping at her and he would scream and bugle back.

Best thing to do is take a few extra days off and come up and knock on doors, there is guys who will giver permission, but only face to face.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Mtn Wonderer
12-08-2015, 10:38 PM
I went on that hunt a few years back, we didn't get one but had a few opportunities, my Son got Elk Fever!!!

Get a hold of the local fish and game club You may be able to find a land owner that way.
I paid my way to permission with Salmon, some whole some smoked, people up there were great.

We sat in some hay bails oonce evening and had quite the whitetail show my son will never forget that trip!!!

pronghorn
12-09-2015, 09:02 PM
We have very little snow as of yet but the elk are starting to show up, check with the local co's for a list. I will keep you in mind if I hear of any.

srupp
12-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Hmmm did you get permission?
If not? Send me a pm with phone number.have a couple ranches with elk they may have openings..
Cheers
Srupp

Huss
12-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Corlanes in Dawson usually has a list of farms with elk and people willing to give permission. No snow this year has made it harder then usual.

Budman
12-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Phoned Corlanes and they have no list .

Swamp mule
12-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Corlanes nor the FLNRO (previously Ministry of Environment) or the CO's have contact lists. It was never really updated anymore. Just got off the phone with one rancher up there and there is basically about 2-3 inches of snow and fluctuating temperatures in comparison to last year. Entirely different. The rancher has not seen much for elk moving around though but a few scouting trips should do the trick. Gonna be heading up there after Xmas to fill the wife's tag since mine is void now b/c of the bull in Sept.

Sitkaspruce
12-21-2015, 07:44 PM
We have 6-10" of snow and it has been getting colder, with Christmas night supposed to be -32 and Christmas day -28. The elk are starting to bunch up a bit more, but there needs to be more snow to keep them bunched up and colder temps.

With the list now pretty well non-existent, boots on the ground, burn up the phone lines and spend sometime asking around. Most ranchers I know want face to face time due to all the asshats that have ruined it for the rest of us.

Good luck.

Cheers

SS