PDA

View Full Version : Liver

blu-nsr
11-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Just conjured this up tonight with a fresh billy goat liver:
-cut in 1/2" strips
-peel 'skin' and remove heavy wall veins.
-(key step) wash and massage under cold water, set on plate to drain. (Repeat until very little blood is drained onto plate)
-dredge strips through peppered flour
-heat skillet to high
-melt in 2 1/2tbs salted butter
-drop em in, cover with dried onion and a dash of garlic salt
-cook about 3min per side or until golden brown outside and very light pink in centre.
-remove strips and set aside
-(gravy) mix your left over flour with water, toss it in the pan and wisk continuous until it starts to thicken up.

Nothing special but hope this is to your liking. I found the repeated massage, rinse, drain process really took the 'irony' flavour out of the liver (my son asked for seconds!) and dried onion coating made it crispy.

Weatherby Fan
11-26-2015, 10:45 PM
That sounds really good, I love deer liver as it's very mild compared to beef liver, never had goat liver.
thanks for the recipe
WF

tadpole
12-13-2015, 07:33 PM
-cut in 1/2" strips
-(key step) wash and massage under cold water, set on plate to drain. (Repeat until very little blood is drained onto plate)
-heat skillet to high
-cook about 3min per side or until golden brown outside and very light pink in centre.
-(gravy) mix your left over flour with water, toss it in the pan and wisk continuous until it starts to thicken up.

Nothing special but hope this is to your liking. I found the repeated massage, rinse, drain process really took the 'irony' flavour out of the liver (my son asked for seconds!) and dried onion coating made it crispy.

My old country traditional liver recipe is almost the same, except instead massaging the flavor out they soak the liver strips
overnight in milk in the fridge. It improves the flavor and texture my mom says :cool:.

hawk-i
12-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Sounds good but the extra step that we do is to blanch the liver in piping hot water for 30 or so seconds before the flouring step. :)

Sharpish
12-13-2015, 11:14 PM
I just can't do the liver! I've tried it every way. It's edible but I never enjoy it ...

ruger#1
12-14-2015, 05:33 AM
Cooked deer liver over the wood stove the other night. Butter and onions first. When onions are soft. Then goes in the liver. It was very good. It was whitetail. I never liked the taste of muledeer liver.

wideopenthrottle
12-14-2015, 09:31 AM
-cut in 1/2" strips
-heat skillet to high

this is also what I do for best results..i did find a recipe for liver Pate that I made a few years ago and it turned out fantastic...I will try to find it and post it up

Cdn-Redneck
12-19-2015, 12:08 PM
I haven't had liver in years. My mom always cooked bacon and then put the liver in with peppered flour.

SPEYMAN
12-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Just don't overcook liver. Should be slightly pink and juicy. Dried out overcooked liver is terrible. Mashed potatoes, cream corn and golden fried onions.

Cook it under the broiler in your oven, not in a frying pan.

scoutlt1
12-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Just don't overcook liver. Should be slightly pink and juicy. Dried out overcooked liver is terrible. Mashed potatoes, cream corn and golden fried onions.

Cook it under the broiler in your oven, not in a frying pan.

That's the best advice, although I've cooked a great liver in the frying pan! ;)

I'll try one soon under the broiler. :)

Whatever you do....DON'T OVERCOOK IT!!! :) :) :)