PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a firearm out in the bush

Deer_Slayer
11-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Is it legal to carry a firearm in the bush for protection, if you don't have a hunting license?

BigfishCanada
11-26-2015, 07:11 PM
if you have a pal, i fish with my rossi ranch and always have my rossi while i hike

Ozone
11-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Yes. You need a PAL to carry a firearm, you need a hunting licence to hunt.

Deer_Slayer
11-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Ok, thanks. I always thought you had to have a hunting license while carrying a gun in the bush.

Bugle M In
11-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Ok, thanks. I always thought you had to have a hunting license while carrying a gun in the bush.

that might have been the case years go, "before" PAL/FAC was introduced.(from how I understood it back than)

scoutlt1
11-26-2015, 07:38 PM

Wasn't a "hunting license" years ago. It was more like a "permit to carry a firearm" that you had to get from the province (along with your FAC).
I forget exactly what it was called even though I used to get one when I packed my Defender while hiking/camping but didn't hunt.

caddisguy
11-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Is it legal to carry a firearm in the bush for protection, if you don't have a hunting license?

Be sure to read the definition of hunting (from the synopsis or wildlife act) if out in the bush with a firearm and no hunting license.

If you were planning on looking for wildlife, even bird watching or whatever, doing that while in possession of a firearm does fall under the definition of hunting and requires a license.

Dash
11-26-2015, 08:05 PM
I always keep one of my shot guns on me while camping, hiking, or anything of the sort. I've been stopped by a CO before and they asked why I had it. Told them it was for protection, they inspected it, checked my PAL and sent me on my way.

finngun
11-26-2015, 09:01 PM
No..no in national parks..gun free zones..

Philcott
11-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Finngun is correct that many parks are no gun zones outside of hunting seasons. Crown land, you're good to go.

TPK
11-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Also note that as you are NOT hunting, the plug can be removed from your shotgun allowing more than two shells in the magazine and you can load er up to the max, throw on a tube extension if you want. Just don't carry any ammo other than slugs and appropriate size shot for predator defense. An un-plugged shotgun and a pocket full of 7.5 or 8 shot will not go over well.

Foxton Gundogs
11-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Wasn't a "hunting license" years ago. It was more like a "permit to carry a firearm" that you had to get from the province (along with your FAC).
I forget exactly what it was called even though I used to get one when I packed my Defender while hiking/camping but didn't hunt.

Not true, you could buy a Provincial "permit to carry" it was iirc $1 licenses were $4 they were available even before the FAC days

argyle1
11-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Correct -- you had to have either a carry permit OR a hunting license before papa trudeau came along with the fac

Not true, you could buy a Provincial "permit to carry" it was iirc $1 licenses were $4 they were available even before the FAC days

Bugle M In
11-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Correct -- you had to have either a carry permit OR a hunting license before papa trudeau came along with the fac

Bingo!!.....that's all coming back to me now....that's how I remember it.