PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting around Sunshine Valley / 2-2

ncaufield
11-26-2015, 01:14 PM
I own a cabin in Sunshine Valley and am looking for good deer hunting spots / day trips from there. I checked out the 8 Mile Creek FSR and 11 Mile Creek FSR juts before the Hope slide last week but they are both active now and very steep.

Do people still hunt behind Sunshine Valley up by Silvertip Mtn and that abandoned Ski hill? I met a guy at my moose hunt camp who hunted successfully there as a kid but, in the three years I have been at SV I don't think I have ever seen any hunters going up there, just quaders and clay / beer can shooters. Maybe I don't see them because they are hunters and go up int he dark while I'm sleeping lol.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, if not very close then a little father like up the Coquihala or other side of Manning as I can get there in 30-60min.

Popove
11-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Backroads Map Book

avadad
11-27-2015, 12:44 AM
Coq is a good option from there.

Husky7mm
11-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Went up there many years ago and saw a bear and a doe. The deer population was at an all time low then still from the winter of 97. Im sure it better now. Remember the roads being in poor shape then but lots of old trails up there and some off the hwy even im bith sides. Even ine behind the old gas station that burned down. The tracks in the snow will tell the tail as to where the deer are. I saw a blacktail buck chasing a mulie buck across the hwy once too, lots of bears. Gotta scout it out, good luck.

ncaufield
11-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Went up there many years ago and saw a bear and a doe. The deer population was at an all time low then still from the winter of 97. Im sure it better now. Remember the roads being in poor shape then but lots of old trails up there and some off the hwy even im bith sides. Even ine behind the old gas station that burned down. The tracks in the snow will tell the tail as to where the deer are. I saw a blacktail buck chasing a mulie buck across the hwy once too, lots of bears. Gotta scout it out, good luck.

Isn't that old gas station in Manning Park?

Coachman
11-27-2015, 05:22 PM
I've hunted there for day trip quickies because my brother has a place at sunshine.

Never seen a buck on either side of sunshine in 4 years.

That being said. My brother saw a little buck on the huckleberry side right at the cabin last year.

StoneHorse
11-27-2015, 09:05 PM
I own a cabin in Sunshine Valley and am looking for good deer hunting spots / day trips from there. I checked out the 8 Mile Creek FSR and 11 Mile Creek FSR juts before the Hope slide last week but they are both active now and very steep.

Do people still hunt behind Sunshine Valley up by Silvertip Mtn and that abandoned Ski hill? I met a guy at my moose hunt camp who hunted successfully there as a kid but, in the three years I have been at SV I don't think I have ever seen any hunters going up there, just quaders and clay / beer can shooters. Maybe I don't see them because they are hunters and go up int he dark while I'm sleeping lol.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, if not very close then a little father like up the Coquihala or other side of Manning as I can get there in 30-60min.
To be upfront, I have never hunted that area but I have always felt that would be a good area to explore. Get up on high is what I would do.

Iron Glove
11-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Isn't that old gas station in Manning Park?

It was called "Westgate" and is a bit West ( outside ) of the Manning Park boundaries.